Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to radius rear wheel openings.

The way I do it:

Place the slick you want to use on the quarter panel exactly where you want it to be, and NEATLY mark around it with a fine-line Sharpie or equivalent. Make sure to locate the axle centerline EXACTLY so the wheel opening will be centered around the tire, with an even gap all around.

Rough cut the opening with just about anything. I use a Dremel.

I semi-finish the cut with a drum-sander on the Dremel, getting to about 1/32" of the marked line. dre407.jpg

I finish the cut-out with a piece of 80, 100 or 120 grit sandpaper wrapped around a suitable piece of PVC pipe, or in some cases, a tire of the right diameter, twisting it in the opening like a round file, to make SURE the opening is round and smooth. Test-fit the tire in the opening as you work to get a nice even gap, and to make sure it's ROUND. Nothing looks worse than uneven, wonky-edged fender cutouts.

Then finish-sand the radius with 180, then 400, and primer it.

These fender radii were done this way. They fit EXACTLY at this point. The tires will be set inboard of the fenders to comply with older gasser class rules.

DSCN6680_zpsd8f218d5.jpg

I've always made a template to transfer one side to the other. If I dont I never get them to match. I use the methods mentioned above, drum sander, sandpaper wrapped around the tire. The only thing that you have to watch with sandpaper around tire or other round object is remember to allow for enough clearance.

• 2 weeks later...