Model Cars Magazine Forum

Whats the best way to paint body emblem lettering

I do it like Bill said. Only I don't sand it, I use thinner to wipe it off. If you are not really careful sanding, you'll sand through the foil. This technique has been a real God send to me. I build a lot of 50s & early 60s cars & they're generally covered in scripts. Here's a couple of examples. Steve

I also use bare metal foil on my molded on script before painting. after the paint is dry to the touch, I then remove the paint from the BMF covered script with a round tooth pick dipped in Lacquer thinner. Works out great every time. But you do have to be careful not to over soak the tooth pick, and use gentle motion as you wipe the tip of the tooth pick across the script, and it is a little time consuming, but the results are worth it.

I do it like Bill said. Only I don't sand it, I use thinner to wipe it off. If you are not really careful sanding, you'll sand through the foil. This technique has been a real God send to me. I build a lot of 50s & early 60s cars & they're generally covered in scripts. Here's a couple of examples. Steve

Steve, do you use a QTip or a cloth with thinner or a toothpick to wipe off the paint from the scripts?

Steve, do you use a QTip or a cloth with thinner or a toothpick to wipe off the paint from the scripts?

I use those pointed Tamiya q-tips. the smallest ones. As Jim said, use your thinner very sparingly!! you can always wipe more paint off, but it's real tough to put it back on. I dip the q-tip in lacquer thinner & then lightly roll it on a cotton cloth to absorb any excess before beginning to work, & then repeat as you go. use a good magnifier & take your time & you'll get excellent results almost guaranteed! Doesn't take long to get the hang of it. Steve

When covering the letters, do you guys put down one large piece big enough to cover the entire script, or, do you cover each letter individually and cut them close? Thanks, cool idea.

You'll want to cut them as close as possible. Believe it or not, the excess foil will show through the paint, either as an edge or it can even show as a different shade of your color. A good rule of thumb is to pretend you're not going to paint over it & it will be your finished script. Plus, the less paint you put over the foil, the easier it is to clean off, so a light paint coat will definitely show the foil between the letters. Steve