Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mickey Thompson 1/16th Scale - Pontiac Grand AM F/C

NitroJunky

I picked this kit cheap when a model shop was closing down and decided to build it as an "out of the box" build.

The only thing that was changed was that i stripped all of the factory chrome and repianted most of it with Alclad.

The main body was painted gloss black first, followed by a coat of fine metal flake followed several coats of candy apple red. Once dried 4 coats of clear lacquer was applied before the decals went on.

The chassis was painted with Tamiya Gold.

The kit in general was not to bad to build but the decals became a problem when trying to get them to wrap around front nose. This was even an issue using decal softner and decal setting solution.

IMG_6349.jpg

IMG_6350.jpg

The kit in general was not to bad to build but the decals became a problem when trying to get them to wrap around front nose. This was even an issue using decal softner and decal setting solution.

I always wondered how difficult those were to apply, but they look nicely done on your build, Gareth.

Thanks for the comments guys.

As for the decals, Its not that easy to see in the photos but the decal on the point of the front nose is creased. You are trying to shape the decal to 4 different angles and its not easy. I have thought about masking the shape out air brush some yellow onto the body and try and blend it into the rest of the decal near the windscreen.

Very Nice Pontiac Funny Car. Excellent paint job and nice detailing on the engine and chassis. Wheels and tires look very realistic too, especially those tires are looking real rubber.

More pics, please.

Thanks Niko,

The rear tyres where sanded with various grades of sand paper to try to remove the moulding rib around the middle of the tyre.

I didnt do anything to the front tyres, the only thing that was done was they were used to produce a mould to try and cast my own tyres for my older 70s kits the RTV rubber must have taken the shine out of them and give them a bit of used look.

Ive got a few photos of the body being painted, i will find them out.

This one one i was playing about with

grandamseethrough.jpg

This build is beautiful. you did a killer job on it. Love seeing 1/16th scale builds. very cool pic of gosting the body and seeing the chassis underneath it.

Thanks Mooneyzs, following the progress on your Vega Army car, Great build you have their.

I got the idea for the ghosting photo from a drag racing poster that was out in the 70s maybe the 80s over here in the UK and thought it would look good if i tried it with a model.

thanks to for the rest of comments aswell guys, Will post more of builds soon

Edited by NitroJunky

Really nice, Gareth.

(And yes, this car was red, yellow & black at times. The blue was the M/T US Marines version for Bob Pickett)

Jim,

Thanks for reminding me. As soon as I saw his name I remembered it. I'd love to find another of those kits, was a great build.