Model Cars Magazine Forum

96 Dodge Ram VTS- Viper Truck

Well I was startin to get burned out on the barracuda so figured I would pack it up for a while and start on somethin new and try to stick as close to box stock as I can. I tried to do a mockup but I'm really tired tonight.. The tires that come with it are like work truck tires so I dug some low pros outta the parts box to make it look more like a viper truck, and I'm also gonna try to get it to sit as low as possible to get that viper stance. I really wish I could find a 1st gen viper style hood for it... but here is the mockup....

6285667592_5d445c727c.jpg

100_1824 by moparkid13, on Flickr

6285147503_599d75110a.jpg

100_1823 by moparkid13, on Flickr

6285147087_fdeaa557b2.jpg

100_1822 by moparkid13, on Flickr

6285666192_d2e21e00c9.jpg

100_1821 by moparkid13, on Flickr

Great start.

I wish they need mold the bed to the cab.

It would make it a much better kit.

I think it needs bigger wheels tho, those wheelwells are soo big looking.

True about the bed being molded seperate, but as far as bigger wheels and tires goes... the way I see it is its a sports truck with a 400 hp v10 engine all big wheels and tires would do is slow it down and give it loose handling....

Ok Ok I've put some thought into the wheels and I would probably go with a 19 or at the most a 20 but I just cant afford it right now.. So for now Ima go with what I have and I just may get some later. If I did I really like the aoshima Werfen.. I cant find the VIP Dave all it brings up is full kits.

Edited by Moparkid13

VIP is just a series of wheels that Aoshima offers, i think the Werfen is part of that series but it may not be. some of those in the series are 18's and most of the recent ones are 20's. i used the Varianza on my VTS build and i think size wise they were right on.

Oh do u have any kind of thread on this if not you should post pics.

Or a set of fujimi wheels I got a while back...

6301034643_5564e67d5d.jpg

100_1832 by moparkid13, on Flickr

6301035489_fa6bf75e88.jpg

100_1833 by moparkid13, on Flickr

And just to make you big wheels guys happy... These came out of the uptown charger kit

6301566462_d69b92d96e.jpg

100_1834 by moparkid13, on Flickr

6301567294_d0d0f4a0b0.jpg

100_1835 by moparkid13, on Flickr

I'm definitely not gonna use the big wheels on this build cuz I want it to set low and that impossible with these I would have to lift it. But it does look cool and i may use them on another one if i were to get one

Also there is the low pro all around with box stock wheel option.

Edited by Moparkid13

Okay you're gonna have to be a little more clear on what problems you're having with the wheels. Trouble adapting them to the kit suspension or.................?

exactly rob do you have to somehow put the 2mm bar in to make them work or wat and if so how would i do that on the front?

Guest Sickfish

G'day mate... Firstly here's what you're gonna have to do to get the Fujimi wheels to fit the truck's axle/spindles...

Make axle/spindles larger, to fit firmly inside the rear of the wheels. You can do this with larger diameter styrene rod, just see what you've got at your disposal or purchase some styrene rod, that fits over axle/spindles? Then just cut length to what you need to fit, that give's the stance you want? Start with a longer than needed piece & trim down until it all fits the way you want?

As far as getting a different hood, Viper-style, for the Ram.... Have you seen the Dodge Sidewinder kit? This kit is a heavily modified version of the Ram and you could modify the hood to fit the Ram... If you have the skill??

PS: you'll need the make the disc-brake holes, that fit over the axle/spindles, larger, obviously 

PS2: I have this kit & won't be using the wheels, which would fit the Ram with little or no mods... They're larger than the Fiji is & would go well with the Ram... If you want them let me know?

Cheers Cliffo 

G'day mate... Firstly here's what you're gonna have to do to get the Fujimi wheels to fit the truck's axle/spindles...

Make axle/spindles larger, to fit firmly inside the rear of the wheels. You can do this with larger diameter styrene rod, just see what you've got at your disposal or purchase some styrene rod, that fits over axle/spindles? Then just cut length to what you need to fit, that give's the stance you want? Start with a longer than needed piece & trim down until it all fits the way you want?

As far as getting a different hood, Viper-style, for the Ram.... Have you seen the Dodge Sidewinder kit? This kit is a heavily modified version of the Ram and you could modify the hood to fit the Ram... If you have the skill??

PS: you'll need the make the disc-brake holes, that fit over the axle/spindles, larger, obviously 

PS2: I have this kit & won't be using the wheels, which would fit the Ram with little or no mods... They're larger than the Fiji is & would go well with the Ram... If you want them let me know?

Cheers Cliffo 

Definitely interested in the sidewinder wheels... The fujimi wheels have inserts to put in them that are made for a 2mm bar, I read. I Know how I would do the rear I just dont know how I would do the front..

Guest Sickfish

Mate, the inserts you're talking about ( little black or clear parts ) are optional. They're not needed in your case. They are for steel rods, as you've said, but for, usually, curbside kits, which Fujimi usually make's 

Here's an idea if you're short on ... Check the diameter of the hole for the axle/spindles to go into, in the wheelbacks, then search your sprues to see if you have some that would fit? This can be used instead of buying styrene rod. If it's a little too wide sand it down then drill a hole for the kit's axle/spindle to go into  then you should be good to go!

PM me with your name/address etc & I'll see what I can do, ok champ?

Cheers Cliffo 