Model Cars Magazine Forum

Russell's Apollo -116 Diamond Reo * complete *

After seeing all the great Trucks built over the past year and New Trucks starting to transform on the bench, I need to get back to work.

Russell C posted a pic of this truck some time back and I was awe struck, I love to old school trucks and just had to build this one.

P1023736.jpg

I did a quick mock up of a few key parts to check against the reference pic I am using. Sleeper sets too high , but most likely wont use this resin brick anyway. It was just handy for the pic.

Stay tuned :)

Edited by Old Buckaroo

Sean,

Cool, thanks! Nice job on combining the two tanks. I see you have a brochure. Does this truck have dual tanks and battery boxes? I don't think I've seen a Diamond Reo set up as a long haul tractor except a Reo Giant. This may end up on my "things to build" later list.

Jeff

Ya know if you are looking for a sleeper for that thing, I picked up the International Transtar 4300, I'm not going to use the sleeper as I'm building it as a logging truck, so I'm doing it with the day cab. We could probably work something out if that's the kind of sleeper you are looking for, since I don't build alot of bigrigs.

Edited by fantacmet

Sean,

Cool, thanks! Nice job on combining the two tanks. I see you have a brochure. Does this truck have dual tanks and battery boxes?

Jeff

Jeff - that is the picture Russell posted back in the "altering boxart" topic, no brochure :(

This version will have dual tanks and battery boxes :D

Michael - thanks for the offer on the sleeper but I have a box of them someplace :)

Now you went and did it Terry. You posted a pick of a DR with a big bumper, i gotta use that now on mine.

Clayton, that was actually the first thing I started with on this one

P1023739.jpg

Pretty simple to make if you have another donar kit.

Terry - Wow, thanks for adding those pics. That 90" has made it to the "Must Build list" :lol:

Casey - The decal sheets I have aslo have the stripe in Black. Also included is the "Diamond Reo" hood as shown on the 90" truck Terry posted above.

Thanks to everyone who has looked in and commented ! :)

I robbed a pristine sleeper from a W-925 kit. I had a few old ones but they need a serious stripping. Easier to go with clean fresh vintage plastic. I have come to the conclusion this kit was not really meant to be built with a sleeper. Makes for tight trailer clearance. And that is even after moving the fifth wheel plate back 15mm. I am going to go ahead and lengthen the frame on this one some.

P1053745.jpg

Thanks for looking in :)

Edited by Old Buckaroo