Model Cars Magazine Forum

So ya think fuel prices are going up. Over priced plastic.

Maybe I'm just a cheep bastard, but when an auction hits $30, I stop bidding. Cannot see paying that much for a 30 year old kit. And as much as I love Kenworths, I'll probably never build one because the prices are just crazy!

Guy's...

Besides truck modeling...my other hobby is collecting 1/50 scale diecast (Yes I said diecast) construction models. Ex: Old West Germany pieces:

Strenco/Gescha/NZG and Conrad). I started years ago, had over 400 pieces.. a small fortune. Then came the "Money Pit" house...I kid you not..Well, the collection downsized real fast, except some real "rare" pieces..I add one here and there when funds are available..Story is...Just like the plastic...these 1/50 models have jumped through the roof..Like Tim mentioned it isn't the "greed", yes sometimes it is..It is what the person actual pays for it..that "blows" my mind.

A 797 Cat Mining Truck I bought 6 years ago for 300.00, now sells for over 700.00+ I wouldn't pay it.......More power to those who do...

Kur McLucas

G,day guy's , here in australia to buy a new truck kit ,when you can find them can range anywhere from $65 to $100 . But the dearest iv'e payed on ebay is $ 150 for a amt coe pete and revell con pete combined . The R model mack goes for about $ 175.00 at the moment so truck models can be expensive here, but still not as dear as the above prices so I hope the guys sellin these enjoy them , they gona be stuck with them for awhile :D . Cheers .

This is a hot topic for discussion. I agree the prices are becoming a little exagerated to say the least. Its noticeable though how many of these kits do not sell. That is the real test. The market determines the price not the seller. I wonder how many of these kits never get built, just put in a cupboard and saved as part of a collection??? :D The way to beat the dealers is not to buy straight away but wait patiently your time will come. Another way is to saturate the market with kits. A good example of this is the eagerly awaited Autocar re-release. Watch how the prices come down. Look what happened to the ERTL International Payhauler.

Interestingly a week or so ago I purchased an original AMT California Pete 359 in Excellent condition. I paid $ 37.00 for it, shipping was $ 12.00 . When the guy went to post it he found out that the postage was more expensive so I sent him an extra $ 9.60 Not bad all the way from California to the UK.

1825_1.jpg

As my Mother used to say "We live in hope and die in despair".

We may very well be hurting ourselves on ebay. I would use the A64B kit as an example, but our beloved Autocar is coming home. However, there are plenty of others. Any of the Dual drive Freightliner cabovers would be prime examples of this. We've all seen them cross the $100 threshold. The KW Challenge mixer would be another. I could be wrong in my theory, but I've been noticing that some sellers know what they have, so when they see that we're willing to pay 3 digit prices for certain things, that minimum bid starts creeping up. I'm seeing more and more $40 and $50 minimums. I've only been on ebay for less than a year, so many of you may have noticed that starting a long time ago. I was used to seeing the minimums lower than that.

I think this is why the kits listed in the links above had such high prices. People are entering higher and higher max bids right at the start, before anyone has a fighting chance at it. So those of us willing to go beyond $50

may be setting ourselves up for really high prices later. My theory may seem silly to some, and maybe others are saying I just pointed out the obvious. I'll admit I've paid more than reasonable prices for certain things, but only because they were so hard to find that I thought,"Ray, you may not have this chance again, so do it". In the long run, though, it adds to the problem. Later on, someone is going to pay more than reasonable for the same or a similar kit. Maybe nothing like $200 or more, but more.

My biggest ebay beef is the reserve price. I don't knock someone for wanting at least a certain amount. After all, why give it away when you can make a few dollars, or at least get back what you spent for it. But then, why show me that the minimum bid is $15when your reserve price is $50, or $75, or $100. I know that MAYBE(and it's the maybe that turns me off) I'll get it if my bid is highest below reserve. However, the low minimum bid attracted me, and if I see reserve pricing, I don't bid. I figure if you wanted $50, start near $50. It may not get as many bids, but it would sell unless it's something no one wants. It just seems a little more fair to me.

Although I jokingly called the high prices robbery, no one points guns at our heads. After all, we dictate what we'll pay.

Upon the announcement of the A64B's reissue over in the Yahoo group, we had fun comparing our list of what else we would like to see come back. In my personal opinion, bring them all back. Except that Revell AG "Marmon". At least they could've went for the old "correct body parts on a Freightliner chassis" trick, instead of the joke that kit really was.

Fair comments Ray!

The sellers really know what some people will pay. After all they are running a business, probably people into house clearances that sort of thing. I,ve just had a quick look through Ebay and have seen some interesting kits. Prices at the moment quite low with not long to go. We,ll see how they go.

Just out of interest the one kit that seems to be in the spot light is the Revell Bill Signs Pete 359. There are quite a number of AMT and Revell Pete 359s for sale and some at very low prices. These are just as good if not better and more versatile. What is it that is so special about the Revell Bill Signs Peterbilt? Its not a kit that appeals to me. I have a number of Pete day cab trucks planned for the future. The AMT and standard Revell 359 kits will be the base kit combined with scratch building and aftermarket parts to produce my own unique truck.

Its a war of attrition between the collector and the genuine enthusiast. We just have to hang on in there and be frugal with our hard earned cash. The big Autocar and Payhauler shows that in time all good things come to those who wait.

Best Wishes.

Tyrone Malone stuff will always bring big money, and those prices arent bad at all. If I needed another Tyrone Malone, I would be willing to pay up to $200 for it. I don't though.

I recently got: Ertl Mack Cement mixer, $16 missing half the wheels (unstarted though), AMT Sonny Pruitt Truck $40 F/S, Ertl Gravel Trailers 1 was $30, the other $6 (glue bomb), "Can Do" Wrecker $80 Opened and mint.

There are a lot of people on EBay that just have to be the winning bidder even if they can't afford it, they will drive stuff up sometimes. Or shill bidders. I depends on how bad you have to have something. The big rig kits are going up, especially if they end on the weekend. I saw the AMT Ford 9000 single drive box truck at Wal Mart for $20 and should have picked that up. It's gone now and any truck kit for under about $40 is a steal.

I know. I recently sold just the hauler body from the Papa truck, and still got $31 for it. Not bad for part of a kit.

I have to agree with the statement about having to have it even if they can't afford it. Some resin kits I've seen, which isn't even a whole truck, have gone past the $200 mark. I still think of the Revell AG triaxle Kenworth cabover I saw at $405 with 2-3 days left to the auction. I wonder what they sacrificed to pay for that one.

Fair comments Ray!

The sellers really know what some people will pay. After all they are running a business, probably people into house clearances that sort of thing. I,ve just had a quick look through Ebay and have seen some interesting kits. Prices at the moment quite low with not long to go. We,ll see how they go.

Just out of interest the one kit that seems to be in the spot light is the Revell Bill Signs Pete 359. There are quite a number of AMT and Revell Pete 359s for sale and some at very low prices. These are just as good if not better and more versatile. What is it that is so special about the Revell Bill Signs Peterbilt? Its not a kit that appeals to me. I have a number of Pete day cab trucks planned for the future. The AMT and standard Revell 359 kits will be the base kit combined with scratch building and aftermarket parts to produce my own unique truck.

Its a war of attrition between the collector and the genuine enthusiast. We just have to hang on in there and be frugal with our hard earned cash. The big Autocar and Payhauler shows that in time all good things come to those who wait.

Best Wishes.

What's so special about the Bill Signs Peterbilt. I have like 12 of these trucks. I got them for way cheaper than the goin' rate. Lets see. What does it have thats so special. Stock front bumper with out the fog lights, Ol skool double round head lights, Custom front grill, Side hood emblem plates, Vortox air cleaners, 3 marker lights on each radius of the front fenders, Cowl extension where air cleaners are plumbed, Cab extension, 4 controls on bottom of cab on drivers side, Rear cab panel with window, Specialized hauling blind spot mirrors with brackets, Longer fuel tanks with steps and light bars, Pipe off turbo pipe with resonator that goes into 8'' straight pipes with custom brackets with 2'' round lights that sets it farther back off cab, Steps off frame rail also with lights, Custom deck plate with tool box and brackets, custom plates that hold lube refiners on left and right side and custom rear center plate , Quarter fenders with lights, Custom tool boxes with quarter fenders in center of 6ft spread axle set up also with lights. And rear center caps for axles. All these pieces are chromed. 6ft spread axle frame rails, rear cross member has reverse lights, Flotation front tires, And Michelin radial flat toped rear tires. I guess thats what makes this kit so special. :lol:

I know. I recently sold just the hauler body from the Papa truck, and still got $31 for it. Not bad for part of a kit.

I have to agree with the statement about having to have it even if they can't afford it. Some resin kits I've seen, which isn't even a whole truck, have gone past the $200 mark. I still think of the Revell AG triaxle Kenworth cabover I saw at $405 with 2-3 days left to the auction. I wonder what they sacrificed to pay for that one.

Ray. Are these people crazy or what spendin' that type of money? http://cgi.ebay.com/REVELL-KENWORTH-HEAVY-...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/REVELL-AUSTRALIAN-VIT-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Between those 2 kits thats a nice chunk of change for fuel money for the week.

Lets see what this one does. http://cgi.ebay.com/REVELL-KENWORTH-K-100-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Talk to ya later. Be good. 8)

• 4 months later...

Personally, I think buying vintage truck kits on Ebay is cheaper than buying brand-new reissues. I scored an AMT Chevy Titan for $35 (s/h included) & an AMT T501 Peterbilt 359 for $25. Of course, that's because the boxes were pretty worn out & because the parts weren't in the original plastic baggies. Of course, a couple of parts were missing, but nothing too significant. The Peterbilt's box was falling apart, so I duct taped it back together. Also, the Pete was missing instructions, so I just looked for some on the internet. Ah, the wonders of technology.

Of course, some kits can go for plenty of $$$. I once saw a GMC Astro 95 with turbine engine sell for over $100.

Edited by ABC Auto Industry

You people are quite right the prices are just going throught the roof.

I have it a little tougher. Our NZ dollar is weaker than the US and I have to pay even more.

On top of that a lot of kits I want I can't buy. Reason being will sell only inside the US of A.

Don't understand that. I pay for my purchases using paypal and the money is sent in seconds. I take the risk and wait up to six weeks for the kit to arrive.

To be fair all the purchases I have been able to make have gone well and the sellers have been very helpful.

I wonder how long the high prices will go on for untill the bubble bursts.

Cheers

John Wilson