Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 Purchases Lindberg/Hawk

The fact that they had issued a lot of old obscure kits with no rhyme or reason leads me to believe that's all the tooling that's currently viable

Why so pessimistic Tom ?

Not Tom either, but the fact that they had Ernie Petit and his 50+ years of industry experience working for them during that time and that's all they could come up with. I think anything else is going to have to be restored or repaired. But that seems to be Round 2's thing, so who knows?

Edited by Brett Barrow

@Tom Geiger: The warehouse fire was real, believe you me. I went to a Marden's store during the selloff when they had a 40' shelf section full of the kits and you could definitely smell the smoke on them.

And yet I have more than a dozen of those kits - I tended to buy every '64 Dodge I could find for the Slant 6 - and not a single one smells the least like smoke. I'm not going to come off like a fire expert, but having worked my fair share of house fires two things are universally true. EVERYTHING smells heavily of smoke, and almost everything is a wet sodden mess. Unless it was a minor fire, in which case they didn't need to liquidate anything if it wasn't damaged.

The reason that so many people don't believe there was an actual fire-fire is that suspiciously just a few months after the warehouse "burnt down" and they sold off the inventory to Ollie's and other wholesale outlets the four-year overdue long promised Dodge Charger Police kits MAGICALLY appeared on the market. It's almost like they needed that cash infusion. Plus if you talk to people who were involved with Lindberg closely they tend to talk about that time with a wink and a nod and you can't ever find anyone who will deny that something hokey didn't occur.

The fact that they had Ernie Petit and his 50+ years of industry experience working for them during that time and that's all they could come up with. I think anything else is going to have to be restored or repaired. But that seems to be Round 2's thing, so who knows?

Exactly.

The '64-5 Mopar B-bodies, the '66 Chevelle SS, the '53 Ford, and the '67 Olds 442 are all kits Round2 could use in their inventory, though the '67 is very close to the AMT '66. Not sure how the '90s 1/20 Lindberg kits will be utilized, if at all.

I just wonder if this sale involves the manufacturing facility in MI where the bulk of Hawk/Lindberg's models were made (pretty much everything tooled pre-J. Lloyd-era). Could this mean we could see production of AMT and MPC kits return to the US? Hmm... :huh:

Good point. I think Steve Goldman might be able to shed some light on this, as he mentioned the facility in the Lindberg topic.

As far as the mythical warehouse fire, I don't believe it. That's just Ollie's back story to make the inventory sound more exciting and protect future retail sales for Lindberg / Hawk by calling the kits damaged goods being sold at a discount. Note that their story said the warehouse was in California, while the company manufacturing operation was in Michigan. Also note that it would be suspicious none of the desirable kits made it to Ollies. I believe they had just built up too much inventory that didn't sell and they had to liquidate it. Unfortunate that the quantities they dumped will satisfy market demand for some of those kits for a very long time!

I've been skeptical of this "fire" as well, Woodland Scenics had an exhaust blower catch on fire and it forced them to shut one building down for a day or two and did no real damage and the industry press as well as their local paper were full of stories about the fire almost immediately. However, there's never been any mention in the industry press of a fire involving either J. Lloyd/Lindberg or a Southern California distributor that would have had "$5,000,000 worth of Lindberg models" in stock as the Ollie's story claimed. It was a "fire sale" alright, but just not the kind that involve actual fire!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_sale

I am going to be devils advocate looking into the future... everyone is all excited and nostalgic for now until the models finally do make it back to shelves again and everyone complains about accuracy issues and difficulty to assemble the kits

You have to admit, the '53 Fords and the '64 Dodges can build up to stunning models and are industry standards (even given some in-accuracies there too). Granted, there are some kits in the line that miss just about every mark, but I think the best of the bunch were definitely worth saving.

I am going to be devils advocate looking into the future... everyone is all excited and nostalgic for now until the models finally do make it back to shelves again and everyone complains about accuracy issues and difficulty to assemble the kits

Other than the Voomer Vega and the like, the Lindberg kits I've built over the years haven't been any more or less accurate or difficult to assemble than any other. No model is 100% accurate, and every model will need some cleanup, that's part of the fun!

I guess I didn't need to answer the above question. Thanks for jumping in guys, you were right on! :)

I am not pessimistic about the overall deal. Tom Lowe is a pretty smart guy so we know he must have gotten a good deal. We've been talking about the Lindberg cars, and there may be more there in other areas that interested him. For instance he's always been big in the TV and Movie / Monster markets, which I believe are larger than our market. There may be some original tooling there.

While I would assume that the last blast was everything that was viable to mold, there may be tools that are damaged or incomplete, that Round 2 would be able to restore or reverse engineer the missing trees.

Overall, I'm optimistic for our hobby. I remember back maybe ten years ago when everyone thought the sky was falling... and look at all the neat stuff that's happened since!

Exactly.

The '64-5 Mopar B-bodies, the '66 Chevelle SS, the '53 Ford, and the '67 Olds 442 are all kits Round2 could use in their inventory, though the '67 is very close to the AMT '66. Not sure how the '90s 1/20 Lindberg kits will be utilized, if at all.

Good point. I think Steve Goldman might be able to shed some light on this, as he mentioned the facility in the Lindberg topic.

As far as I know the molding facility in Michigan is not part of the deal. Also up in the air is what will happen with the remaining few Hawk/Lindberg employees.

Lindberg had a number of new projects in the works that were shelved when Ernie Petit retired. There is also some tooling that was never run but as far as I can recall it's all non-automotive. I know Ernie has agreed to meet with Tom Lowe to help with the transition. If nothing else Ernie promised to keep me in the loop. I hope to have more information later next month. Regardless I say this is good news for the hobby.

-Steve

I cut my modelling teeth on the old kits of companies like Hawk and Lindberg and while I may never want to rebuild them I'm just glad to hear that the surviving molds will be in the safe hands of Round2, ie an owner who cares about the hobby. On the other hand I can think of several IMC kits I'd love to have again and who knows what else will be found. This aquisition is a clear indication that Lowe has confidence in the future of the hobby and that's good news for all of us.

The cynic in me has to agree with this. Particularly young or new builders who may not know the history of old subjects and get a big letdown when they open the box after plunking down $20 (for the cheap kits). Personally, any old tool that gets me in the ballpark of something I can work with is good enough to root for.

Hooray Round2, I hope this pays off big for them.

The only two Lindberg kits that I ever cared for were the Crown Vic/Charger PPV kits, other then , I really didnt spend much money on Lindberg kits, I did get a few of the Caravan kits, but I am happy that Round2 took over Lindberg, better then having another model company go out of business.

So either the hobby is in good shape, or Round2 has saved a boat load of money by not spending money on new tooling :lol: