Model Cars Magazine Forum

Altering old AMT truck box art (photolinks fixed 4/24/20)

Poor kid that I was, I saved up all my pennies to get various truck kits whenever the budget allowed. But of course I drooled over the box art photos beforehand, etching 'em forever in my memory. Minor gripes about the artwork always stayed with me, and for sheer laugh's sake, I used some of my graphic arts skills to change the things that bothered me. Here's two so far:

622650228_properAMTKW925.jpg.1a943d8609a7a50984b4a738e3678f98.jpg

It's a subjective thing, but I would have preferred that Watkins had all red stripes. Plus, the way the black stripe was reflected oddly in the muffler heat shield always bugged me, and it seemed the rear wheels were taking on an appearance of being a tag axle hoisted up just a few inches off the ground. Never cared much for the large number near the front of the hood, either. Original box art here.

1287731956_WFDDgreen.jpg.2e235e30fe8a043112aa045cae85d439.jpg

Would have preferred a less harsh color combo than brown & yellow, and I always thought chrome caps on the front hubs added real punch to trucks. After tweaking the color this way, it caused me to speculate how this one would be if NBC had chosen a factory offering from Freightliner as their "Movin On'" truck…….

Original Freightliner here.

Edited by Russell C
fixed busted web links

Thanks! I'll see about doing a few more reworks. The first kit I ever made was the California Hauler with the sleeper box, but I never cared much for the brown on the box art. My dad spray painted it a forest green and put on the kit graphics. I may try to replicate that as one rework on the list.

Yep, on the Kenworth's rear suspension, I'd forgotten about that.

Edited by Russell C

Very nice Russell! I admire your graphic art skill. The KW with the red stripe does look much better (what do you think about red pin stripe under the headlights and along the radius of the front fender as well?) I REALLY like what you did with the Freightliner, and (like several others I suspect) might just build one with those colors as well.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

brinx

• 4 weeks later...

... love to see the Autocar dump truck box art wearing the paint scheme of the California Hauler. ...

Yep, I can visualize the original Autocar Dump having the orangy red/white of the California Hauler day cab box art scheme..... I might be able to bash that out later since it would use the graphic elements of the California Hauler sleeper box version which I could plop onto the Autocar without much difficulty.

... KW with the red stripe does look much better (what do you think about red pin stripe under the headlights and along the radius of the front fender as well?) ...

Since I already had the illustration, I gave it a shot to see what such a red pinstripe would look like........... and though it may be my subjective opinion, it just didn't work for me the same way the white stripe works on the Movin' On Kenworth or other such paint schemes where it is a dark main color with a white stripe.