Model Cars Magazine Forum

closed cab ac mack 1926

If you mean the one in the "2013 CAMA " video, it looks like it would simply be a matter if using the Monogram kit, making some cardboard templates, and "gittin er done"! The lines are mostly all squares and rectangles except for the hood, which does not appear to be original. I am not an AC expert, I just like 'em.

David

Mack offered a "severe service" closed cab with either sliding doors or leather/canvas curtains on most of it's earliest AC an AK models,mostly as shelter from regional bad weather,i have some more photos,which I will post as soon as I can find them,is this the type cab you mentioned?........................Mark

post-9862-0-91064800-1419633236_thumb.jp

Steven,

The Lindberg kit is 1/25, while the Monogram kit is 1/24. Were you planning on using the Monogram kit as well? For some builds, the difference in scale is no big deal. In this case, I think you would be really disappointed. I would suggest using whatever base kit you want and modifying it with Evergreen sheet and strip stock. Good luck with your project!

David

The Mack is also a much larger truck than the Ford even without issues caused due to differences in scale. I think the Ford cab would end up looking very small and kind of silly.

It looks to me like a fairly simple matter of squaring up the cab openings from the kit and making some doors from sheet styrene. The hood is clearly fabricated, but the cab looks to be based on the original cab

It is a very slab sided truck to start with so shouldn't be a particularly difficult conversion. The engine swap could be more involved if you are going to use a Chevrolet I-6 as in the video. The Mack had a rear mounted radiator at the front of the cab. It looks like the conversion uses the cooling system from the 6, with a radiator in the more conventional location in front of the engine.

I remember the History Channel had a Modern Marvels episode on the building of the Hoover Dam.....It was PACKED with footage of those things at work....I think you can view the episode on line at http://historychannel.com look for Modern Marvels.....Hoover Dam and such....They air that episode from time to time....I've probably seen it 5 times or so.....