Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beverly Hillbillies into stock, original model 43a ?

Anyone tried to turn it into a stock, original phaeten ? I guess thats what you could call it. Any way, I searched the forum and found some nice stuff but nothing on returning it stock. It's gonna take some fab work for sure.

Any suggestions on what body I can use for the sides ? I was thinking using a second body maybe.

Is the frame from the Jolly Rodger longer ? I need the fenders from it.

Thoughts, suggestions and ideas are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.

Take away the "truck" bed, and the "Beverly Hillbillies" truck is a stock 1919-22 Oldsmobile! I've toyed with the idea of doing one as a completely stock passenger car (in addition to a long-running project to make a stock one-ton truck from the same kit) for several years. From all I have ever found, the real TV "truck" started out as a roadster, which had it's "turtle-deck" trunk and rear fenders removed sometime in the late 20's or early 30's and a flat bed truck body added. (That was quite common in the years between the World Wars).

On such a roadster, the trunk section often was a separate unit, fitted up to the rear of the roadster body, but you'd still have to either scratchbuild it, or rework the rear portion of some other roadster kit to fit.

Art

I've toyed around with the idea of using a second body, but any open phaeton-type body might work to lengthen it.

As far as I remember, the Jolly Rodger frame wasn't any longer than the BH version. The body was significantly longer, of course, but not the frame.

A touring car can be built from the Beverly Hillbillies truck. It would take a second body from that kit, plus some Evergreen sheet styrene to stretch the "tonneau" (the term for the rear seat portion of those old touring cars/phaetons).

Art

Thanks guys. Ken's build is awesome. Wish there was some building pics and tips for how he did it. I dug thru my parts stash and found a second body along with some type of phaeton body and fenders. Not sure what it is or from but it's a start.