Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pronunciation of "Willys"

John North Willys pronounced his name "Willis"...so technically the car's name is pronounced that way...but apparently people began calling the car "Willeez" for some reason, and that pronunciation, while wrong, is actually the more commonly accepted and used one.

I always knew it was "WILL-ISS" but my wife got stubborn on me "It's WILL-EZE".

She's seen the board and told me that she don't care, to her it will always be "WILL-EZE".

Oh well, folks, thanks for trying to help me settle it.

Well, I grew up hearing and seeing it as Will-eeze. I just think that when I see "ly" at the end of something, I say (lee), or it may be (lie) but thats something else, like, "illy", I see it as "ill-lee". I don't see it spelled like "lis". It might be that they say Will-eeze but they have an accent so they say will-iss, as they are saying it fast! :lol: I dunno, it just sounds weird that way! :?

Well, ok, that's weird, just thought of this as I was finishing this post, Willy is pronounced (will-ee) and you don't say will-ih, (not ee sounding). 8) I guess its that "s" at the end! :lol: