Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who says all Mustang II's are ugly

I loved the Mustang II and Farrah was a beautiful woman. I had her poster on my wall as a young teen...

I agree about Farrah. One of the most beautiful ever in the history of beautiful, but I think an XK-E or a '57 T-Bird would have suited her better than the little Mustang. B)

Or a 289 Cobra. Man. Farrah driving a Cobra. Oh man. :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I agree about Farrah. One of the most beautiful ever in the history of beautiful, but I think an XK-E or a '57 T-Bird would have suited her better than the little Mustang. B)

Or a 289 Cobra. Man. Farrah driving a Cobra. Oh man. :D

farrah_fawcett.jpg

030411_10b.jpg

Remember this one Bill. I do agree with you on Farrah..

I wonder why they removed the Cobra snake from the grille of Farah's II.

Ford cars was used in the Charlie's Angel series so it could have fell off. The reason I think that is you can read the ford letters on the hood so I don't think it has to do with the copyright ..

Carl, I have to agree that the Eleanor II looks pretty good. The basic lines of the little cars are nice, but what has always bothered me is the tall fender sheetmetal above the wheel openings. For some reason, I could accept it on the Pinto as just part of the design. When it morphed into a "Mustang" though, to me, the fenders always seemed too tall for the relatively short wheelbase.

Oh yeah, and the front overhang is way too long. Almost forgot. :D

(Just my personal opinion. Yours may vary. No offense intended, so let's not all go spiraling out of control). B)

In fairness, that is a problem most American cars suffered from from the mid 70's pretty much through to the early 90's.

Here is one of the Mustang ll's I had. Bought new. 78 King Cobra. Nothing too special but pretty nice and kind of rare.

pinto005.jpg

pinto006.jpg

Gorgeous!!!!!!!!! Love the huge aluminum slots on it!! Friend of mine on facebook has one that same color combo but with 5 lug conversion and Magnum 500's on it

For what was new, and coming out at the time, I still think Ford did a pretty good job of designing the Mustang II. Or as I affectionally call it, the Mutt II. It was the right car for the time. I liked the '73 Camaro better than the '73 Mustang (though I do like the '71 - '73 Mustangs too). But that turned around with the '74s. The battering ram bumpers and the wedge shaped taillights on the '74 Camaro didn't look right too me. Where the '73 and earlier Camaros had a nice light look to them. Particularly the '74, '75, and '76 Camaros now looked too big and heavy. They were a little better again with the '77s. But it was still not same.

Again, for the time, the Mustang II looked right. I wasn't pleased with the lack of an available V8 engine in the '74s. But that was taken care of for '75. It was a cute little car. With the optional interiors it was very classy looking inside. Great dashboard design. I thought the Mach I with it's blacked out lower doors, rockers, and fenders looked pretty clean and sporty. The first Cobra IIs look pretty good too.

Mustang II was a success in sales for Ford too. It came out at the exact right time. Shortly after the new '74 cars appeared on the show floors, the first gas crisis hit. It made Ford look like geniuses for downsizing the Mustang when they did. It was pure coincident that it worked out that way. Ford had reasons other than gas mileage, when they decided they needed to design a smaller Mustang. But, Ford reaped the benefits in the case of Mustang.

It's a car people love to hate now. It was not the car in someways the original Mustang was. But mainly this was only in the areas of true high performance models. Compare it to the Pinto it was based on. It sure looked a lot classier than that car. And for only a little more money. Just as the original Mustang looked classier than the Falcon it was based on. For a little more money. And look where the pony car market was going. It was gone for the true high performance models. Barracuda, Challenger, and Javelin/AMX were gone at the end of the '74 model year. With low sales and the strike at the Camaro/Firebird plant in '72, many weren't sure their would be a Camaro or Firebird in 1973 or beyond, until the very last minute. Cougar moved to being a mid sized personal luxury car for '74, and sold better than ever. And look at sales of the Capri and Toyota's Celica. Ford made the right decision in their redesign of Mustang for 1974. And as noted before, the Mustang IIs sold well for Ford. Through all 5 years of their production. So I say we should give the Mustang IIs the respect that they deserve. Would there be a Fox body or later Mustang without them?

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

It's funny... I love old cars and the Mustang II being made in the 70s I consider still an old car, and I am not much into things from the 80s.... yet... I love Foxbody mustangs. I think its because they are like the Lego blocks of cars.... sooooo many cars were built on that fox platform and you can take parts from '79 and parts from '04 and put on your '90. I love that aspect because it allows for sooo much customization and personalization of the car. I can't think of any car that has that much interchangability since then.