Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?

It does seem that Round2 is reissuing some of the kits that the Model King commissioned X years ago. It's a good thing IMO as we won't have to pay the overly inflated prices for them. I'll definitely buy the '71 Cyclone and '72 Torino even though they're track cars. Maybe even the '73 Chevelle when I see it. As cool as the flip nose '57 is, I'll pass. It's quite underscaled much like the MPC '69 Mustang. I discovered that a few years ago when I compared it to an AMT and the then new Revell Black Widow. :( I hope Round2 just keeps on making their way towards the back of the tool vault!! You gotta know that there's still a ton of cool kits that they haven't made their way to yet!

It does seem that Round2 is reissuing some of the kits that the Model King commissioned X years ago. It's a good thing IMO as we won't have to pay the overly inflated prices for them.

And since they are already at the molding facility in China, it's easy money for Round2 to create new retro box art and reissue them.

There were a few reissues under the Stevens International label, too, which I'm assuming were similar to what happened with Model King (Brett?), and we've already seen the Ford C-600 reissued again, albeit in the cargo delivery version instead of the stake bed and tractor versions. Just on box art alone, the Round2 versions are far more appealing IMHO:

a2c38955-5a56-459b-904c-2745905c66e3.jpg

Looking at the "Millennium" line from RC2, we've already seen the '66 Nova, '68 Roadrunner, '51 Chevy Fleetline, Dodge Dart Sportsman, AMTronic, and Studebaker Avanti reissued by Round2, so I would bet the '39/'40 Ford Sedan, '55 Bel Air Sedan, and so on within the new 24 months.

There were a few reissues under the Stevens International label, too, which I'm assuming were similar to what happened with Model King

Yeah, I have two of the '70 LTD police cars from Stevens. "Hobby Heaven" now known as Spotlight also did a plain white box with art issue of that kit. I can't recall the others Stevens reissued ATM. With the seeming popularity of police car kits, I wouldn't be surprised to see that kit resurface at some point.

I can't recall the others Stevens reissued

I recall the Ford Louisville dump truck w/snow plow, Jeep Commando, Li'l Mixer, Ford C-900 tractor, and looking at eBay there are the Mack Cruiseliner, Peterbilt 352 (which Round2 reissued in late '12), "Vintage Police Car" (which appears to be a '27-ish Model T), '39 Ford Tudor Sedan, Autocar A64B, and the "Hemi-Sphere" F/E dragster, which probably shares a good number of parts with at least one of the other dragsters Round2 has reissued in the last few years.

Granted, there are a number of kits released under the Model King label which probably won't be reissued by Round2 (all the Modifieds for example), but there's plenty of material to work from.

Granted, there are a number of kits released under the Model King label which probably won't be reissued by Round2 (all the Modifieds for example), but there's plenty of material to work from.

DTR (Dirt Track Racing I suppose) must have the rights to the modified kits. I've seen several different modified kits under the DTR label on ebay. Maybe they're leasing the tooling from Round2 like MK did?

Pretty sure Round 2 has already reissued the Ford stake truck with original box art. Was the Stevens' issue the Ford tractor with the tandem trailers? Maybe with US Mail decals? Pretty sure I have one of those from the RC2 era.....it's getting hard to keep all the different special issues straight! :D

The Hemi-Shere is the circa-1964 AMT Garlitis kit. I'd like to see the AMT '78-'79 Bronco reissued again too.

Edited by Don Sikora II

And speaking of the Commando Casey mentioned, Round2 would really make my year if they reissued that kit with the original Jeepster front end and full top. They could throw in the snow plow for good measure if they wanted to.

Pretty sure Round 2 has already reissued the Ford stake truck with original box art.

Yes, they did:

product.jpg

Was the Stevens' issue the Ford tractor with the tandem trailers? Maybe with US Mail decals? Pretty sure I have one of those from the RC2 era.....it's getting hard to keep all the different special issues straight! :D

It was the tractor only for the Stevens reissue IIRC.

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

I'd LOVE to see this one come back!

I would say the odds of that happening are very good, especially considering the Li'l Gasser was reissued within the last three years or so by Round2.