Model Cars Magazine Forum

Perry's Resin

Phone calling Perry's Resins is the best recourse . I am still on the lookout , Randy , for the first one you sent me on my last purchase . I bet it went to Tialand . I give up looking for it . He or a close friend of his keeps on this site . Excellent castings . Thanx ..

• 2 months later...

Just a personal thought. Why would anyone buy a product from a business that has such a checkered review history? Regardless of the product offered, it seems like it just isn't worth the risk. No one would buy from a Ebay seller with a 50% positive feedback rating, so why do modelers still order?

Just a personal thought. Why would anyone buy a product from a business that has such a checkered review history? Regardless of the product offered, it seems like it just isn't worth the risk. No one would buy from a Ebay seller with a 50% positive feedback rating, so why do modelers still order?

That would make sense, you would think

Some kind of blind faith, I guess. I've ordered successfully from Perry's website, but that was about 10 years ago..

I have a multitude of items that I have purchased from Perry's, and though they took a bit of time to arrive (not near like Reliable), Randy was always cordial on the phone, and long winded as I remember, and the pieced were always FLAWLESS! This was all before opening a brick and mortar Hobby Shop, and I have heard, from him specifically, that the time needed was more than was really handy, and aspects of the resin business, namely wheels and tires were no longer going to be sold via the net. I have not ordered anything in a while, but I do have an order brewing in my head for projects that are reaching the surface.....

Ordered a 65 Comet from him a few years ago, and it took him over EIGHT months to send it! And when I got it, it was missing the dashboard. EVER try finding a dash for a 65 Comet? That was enough for me. Theres NO excuse for service THAT sloppy. Won't ever waste my money on his products again. You HAVE been warned!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update on the continuing saga: It's now mid-November, and I called Randy Frost to ask about my resin 962 scoop order from May of this year. Now, I get that he's running a shop and doing the mail-order thing. But, when I called him in July he said that he remembers sending it out, and he'd fire off another one. This time, he admitted that he didn't remember if he remembered to do that. The local repair shop probably thinks I gave up on the item I'm supposed to be building for them (the chassis and unpainted body has enough dust on them for CSI to run my prints through AFIS!), and now the replacement parts I ordered from Strada Sports in September ain't showing up either! I got one email from Dardenne Prairie saying they weren't in stock, but no reply to my emails back and only an answering machine to take my phone calls. Now, is there some sort of worldwide urethane resin shortage I need to know about, or have I just been screwed over twice, in two different countries?

I'm guessing you got screwed over because I have been able to get resin pieces from other vendors without any problems, which tells me there is not a resin shortage.

The trouble with Perry's is that he does have nice stuff and some people are able to get what they order in a timely fashion and then others are left holding the bag!

I had my eye on his TopKick conversion kit and Malibu resin kit but held off ordering because of horror stories like this and now there are others offering the same stuff and are not the topic of threads with themes like this one!

Hope it works out for you!

• 1 month later...

Well, after no reply to four emails over the past year I guessing Randy's got a useless email server or he's not necessarily needing my business. I've discovered what I'm looking for elsewhere so best of luck to him running things that way.

mike

• 1 month later...

So here we are, nine months after my initial order for a simple resin scoop, and my project is still gathering dust. When I was able to finally reach the very busy staff at Strada Sports awhile back, they said that they had lost their resin caster at Speedline, which is why they couldn't fill my order...but they never even charged my card, so it's all good. (And besides, they have a lot of cool stuff.) When I spoke to Randy Frost last week, he said that 1) Perry's Resin is now operating out of his basement, and 2) he's pouring resin into molds to ship out my order and a few others. It's my plan to contact him by the end of the week, and determine once and for all if I'm ever going to see the part, or my money again. Let this be a cautionary tale...

Ordered a 65 Comet from him a few years ago, and it took him over EIGHT months to send it! And when I got it, it was missing the dashboard. EVER try finding a dash for a 65 Comet? That was enough for me. Theres NO excuse for service THAT sloppy. Won't ever waste my money on his products again. You HAVE been warned!

George... And you are considering buying a dart from a thief like AF/X... Randy at least does send the product... I have never had an issue buying from Perrys...

Perry's business probably does OK - it's difficult to beat 100% profit...

In July 2010, I called to ask about the availability and lead time for a 1965 Coronet body - In the back of my mind, I was already planning to cut my losses and order just one. But he told me no problem, several in stock because he was getting ready for a show. So I rushed to the post office and sent a money order for two. Got nothing... Called and wrote a couple of times - always had a story. One time Randy told me that the fire department had shut down his casting operation at home - too many chemicals. Another time he told me he couldn't cast at the shop because customers needed attention. Told me he sent it, told me he would send it, told me he couldn't find the order, told me he found the order, told me he would send it again... Last time I called he even said he would send some extra goodies for my trouble.

I followed up with an inquiry to the post office and he did receive the money order. I’ve received nothing.

One of those guys that make you really appreciate the good resin casters.

Perry's business probably does OK - it's difficult to beat 100% profit...

In July 2010, I called to ask about the availability and lead time for a 1965 Coronet body - In the back of my mind, I was already planning to cut my losses and order just one. But he told me no problem, several in stock because he was getting ready for a show. So I rushed to the post office and sent a money order for two. Got nothing... Called and wrote a couple of times - always had a story. One time Randy told me that the fire department had shut down his casting operation at home - too many chemicals. Another time he told me he couldn't cast at the shop because customers needed attention. Told me he sent it, told me he would send it, told me he couldn't find the order, told me he found the order, told me he would send it again... Last time I called he even said he would send some extra goodies for my trouble.

I followed up with an inquiry to the post office and he did receive the money order. Ive received nothing.

One of those guys that make you really appreciate the good resin casters.

That sounds like lying and stealing to me. Must be some racket, suckers born every minute.

• 1 month later...

I merged all the existing post regarding Perry's Resin, so please read the entire thread if you're considering purchasing from Perry's.

I have never purchased direct, but did buy a NOS early Chevy S-10 grille conversion and the quality was good. Two air bubbles on the backside of the under-grille filler piece were the only flaws, but the parts were nicely mastered. I have no problem recommending Perry's products, with the caveat that you should buy Perry's product(s) second hand (ebay, swap meet, trade with a fellow modeler) instead of direct.

It does seem like the same old... since he gave me the same story when I finally got through on the 'phone. "I remember sending one out..." which I now discount as just a story if he happens to pick up the phone! I won't ever buy from him again and will definitely NOT recommend his stuff. It may look good in pictures but that's all you'll get.

Given that Perry's website hasn't been updated in over 5 years (click on the 'New Stuff' or "Changes at Perry's links), I wouldn't expect much if trying to order online.

Which is unfortunate, as I had good luck w/ buying kits and conversion parts from him over a decade ago.

Edited by Rob Hall

• 1 month later...

Here we are, almost a year after I first ordered my little bitty intercooler scoop...and it finally arrived. It seems that the notification to the Better Business Bureau may have been the tipping point. It'll take a little trimming to make it fit appropriately on the 962 I'm building, but I've got to say this: the piece is exquisite! Why should such great quality take so long to get here, though? As satisfied as I am with this part, I can't see myself ever ordering from Perry's Resin again. The obfuscation, the outright lies, the shifting of blame, all of it has left a bad taste. Honestly, though I think Randy Frost is fine to talk to on the phone, this business model is horrible. Caveat Emptor, indeed.

Was it the small item referred to as a "bump" in resin, or the vac formed "hump"? I sold Randy those masters years ago. I never did get to marketing the "bumps", but I sold a bunch of the "humps". Which livery 962 are you building?

• 2 weeks later...