Model Cars Magazine Forum

Don Garlits' "Swamp Rat 13"

2002p51

Well, here it is, the Garlits' SR-13 built from the current re-issue of the MPC Young American dragster kit (Which is actually the Garlits SR-12C)

garlits02-vi.jpg

In case you missed the Workbench thread I'll go over the basics again. The frame from the engine forward is made from .062" Evergreen rod to stretch the chassis from the kit's 120" wheelbase to SR-13's 220". The steering linkage is also made from Evergreen rod, .040" diameter.

The engine is mostly from the AMT Tommy Ivo kit with the blower and injector from my parts box. Headers are MPC from the base kit. I've added enough wiring, etc. to make the engine look more detailed than it really is. I could add lots more but . . . well, I'm lazy! :lol:

The body is from the kit with the side panels below the engine made from some .010" Evergreen sheet. Paint is Testors Model Master Classic Black.

garlits03-vi.jpg

Wheels and tires are from the MPC kit. There are lots of little scratch built bits and pieces all over the car like the center steering linkage, throttle linkage parts, push bar, fuel tank brackets, etc. etc.

The decals are conglomeration of stuff from other Garlits kits and lots of digging around in my decal box. The markings are not correct but are as close as you can get without having custom decals made.

As I've said many times in the past, it's not my desire to build a "perfect" model (whatever that is?) but instead, like a painter who doesn't paint every single leaf on a tree, but when you look at his painting, you see a tree, I like to capture the look of a car in miniature.

I think I did that this time around and I'm happy with the way this model turned out.

You can see the work in progress thread here:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67823

And photos of the other Garlits cars in my collection here:

http://public.fotki.com/2002p51/model_cars/don-garlits/

As usual, your comments and critiques are encouraged.

Sweet build Drew. I am digging your album as well. A very nice representation of Garlits through the years.

Since Large Father is my all time fave I may be biased a smidge. I built the first rear engined car and posted it here a while back. I'd like your feedback on that build if you have the time.

Bob

"As I've said many times in the past, it's not my desire to build a "perfect" model (whatever that is?) but instead, like a painter who doesn't paint every single leaf on a tree, but when you look at his painting, you see a tree, I like to capture the look of a car in miniature.

I think I did that this time around and I'm happy with the way this model turned out."

I agree Drew...but I think you've done more thn that...this one looks really good! Bravo!

Drew, your cars always look "right". I've been a fan of your builds for years and I think it's your photogragher's eye that allows to to capture the essence of what you are building. I'm old and lucky enough to have seen Garlits run a few times, including a burn down at staging against Steve Carbone. Garlits and Shirley are my all time favorites.

Drew, you've pinpointed my philosophy on building exactly! I too, love building representations of real cars. I'm never going to be good enough to build exact replicas of the real things, but rather taking the major visual cues from the real car and incorporating them into my build. Great job on the Garlits digger, Sir!

"As I've said many times in the past, it's not my desire to build a "perfect" model (whatever that is?) but instead, like a painter who doesn't paint every single leaf on a tree, but when you look at his painting, you see a tree, I like to capture the look of a car in miniature.

I think I did that this time around and I'm happy with the way this model turned out."

As you should be , the car looks absolutely fantastic.

Your build philosophy is the same as mine. As long as it represents the visuals of my intended subject. I call it good .

Well done.

I had the opportunity to talk to Big a few years back for just a few minutes. He's a very humble easy to talk to man. I enjoyed it

Edited by gtx6970