Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stiles and Stahl 67 Super Stock

Nitro330

Hello all, I have been a member for some time, but this is my first post. Finally got set up on Photobucket to be able to post pics.

Below is the last drag car that I finished in the fall. It is the Stiles and Stahl 67 Belvedere II Super Stock. This is an RO23 Belvedere of which only 55 were built and only 17 were 4 speeds. These were Hemi powered factory racers delivered race-ready without heater, radio, body insulation, carpet underlay and seam sealer, the RO23s were hundreds of pounds lighter than stock models. They were all white with basic bench seat interiors. The cars were delivered with the stock Street Hemi round chrome dual quad air cleaners but had the special open style flat steel dual quad air cleaner with hood sealing foam gasket delivered in the trunk of the car.

To build this I used the Revell Sox & Martin GTX and made some subtle changes to make it close to a Belvedere. This included converting the front and rear seats to straight bench seats, adding the Belvedere chrome molding on the side and creating a stock style gas cap. I also scratch built the air cleaner. The decals are Fred Cady.

100_7253_zps47b7648e.jpg

100_7255_zps34690306.jpg

100_7259_zps3e55e3da.jpg

100_7260_zps1f6e8a39.jpg

it looks really good did a great job with the whole car. Did well with the decals and wiring to I never had good luck with Fred Cady decals. By the waya did you remove the badge in the front grill to.If so how did you do that without hurting the reat of the grill.

John Pol

Looks Excellent! There can never be too many Stockers or Super Stockers, especially when they are built very nicely. As This. My favorite part is the Detailing on the engine bay, it looks just like 1:1 engine. Nice paint and decaling too. How did you make the Air Cleaner? You said it's scratchbuilt. What materials you used?

Beautiful work , Nitro330 !

Did you happen to replace the kit's inaccurate 8.75" rear with the correct Dana 60 by any chance ?

Thanks John! No, I went with the kit rear. It was something I thought about when I was planning the build, but didn't have anything in the parts box.

Looks Excellent! There can never be too many Stockers or Super Stockers, especially when they are built very nicely. As This. My favorite part is the Detailing on the engine bay, it looks just like 1:1 engine. Nice paint and decaling too. How did you make the Air Cleaner? You said it's scratchbuilt. What materials you used?

Thanks Niko!

The air cleaner was made using a 1" round necklace charm that I drilled out and very thin adhesive-backed foam material that I cut into a thin strip. Both came from local craft store. The foam material is called "Silly Winks" and was in the kids craft area.

Very cool, I've got the same thing in my to do pile.

What is the bench seat from ?

Thanks Bill, the bench seats are scratch built. I couldn't find anything suitable, so I used the buckets as the base for the bench. I used card stock to make templates for the styrene, then lots of putty and sanding. The back seat was also done the same way. Below are a couple pics showing how I did them. This was my first time trying this so I wasn't sure how it would come out, but was pleased with the results.

1309_zps2f8f0550.jpg

1311_zpsdaa9c7ad.jpg

Finished bench seats. Used masking tape to add the texture part of the seats.

100_6791_zpsde019c27.jpg

Very cool.

I was thinking about modifying a bench seat from a lindberg 64 dodge kit. Never thought about tape for the texture part of it.

I like it

ps, there is a real 1967 Plymouth RO car on eBay now .

Edited by gtx6970