Model Cars Magazine Forum

heavy chevy

plumnuts

got burn't out on the new era stuff :rolleyes: , so way gone mustang went into the box for a later day.

one of my older models hit the chopping block and donated it's chasis, tore it down and cleaned it up,

wired the motor and slid some new wheels on. I'm really enjoying the build and hopeing to stay steady

on this and try not to rush :lol: . been thinking about a section on the body and chopping the top,but after mock up It's looking pretty good to me. might open the doors and pancake the hood. its all in the air at the moment.

input is welcome and wanted. enjoy the pics. :lol:

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

can't put my fingure on a color yet. I want it to stand out with class.

would love some suggestions. :unsure:

Edited by plumnuts

Mike ,

That's a beautiful start ! Now , to answer a question with a question . Do you use Testors enamels ?

The Old Man

hi LoneWolf. I have used testors enamels in the past, to be honest that is all I used in the past.

I have been spraying tamiya paint lateley cause it lays out so mutch smoother.

I am still a rattle can baby, hopeing to move to air brush soon.

why, what color are you thinking?

Hey Mike!

Great start there, if you don't mind telling me where did the chassis come from?

Jon

the chasis was under a panel wagon that was a woody, around 1938 I think. was a nice kit ,but the dust had killed the paint

so tada the 41 has up to date running gear. :unsure:

I would like to see a two-tone. I know testors inca gold is not original, but combined with a off white, like a wimbledon would look off the scale. With perhaps a green or red pinstripe seperating the two colors. Just a thought.

hi LoneWolf. I have used testors enamels in the past, to be honest that is all I used in the past.

I have been spraying tamiya paint lateley cause it lays out so mutch smoother.

I am still a rattle can baby, hopeing to move to air brush soon.

why, what color are you thinking?

Testors Sublime green for a base , Boyd's Lime Green pearl over top of it . Then clear. The color walks and does a bit of a flip - flop at the same time as you walk around it . You catch various shades of green and the gold pearl as you look at it . It is subtle , but it really catches the eye ! You need to put the Lime Pearl on in light coats so you don't crush the Sublime green underneath !

Throw them rattle cans away ! ;) Go for the airbrush ! It is so much easier and you can do so much more , colorwise ! That, however , is just one old goat's opinion ! :P

The Old Man

Mike, you GOT to chop the roof on that bad boy! I did on mine, about a 3 in chop, and it'll make ALL the difference on how it looks. Try it, it 's really not to hard to do, and it makes a world of difference. Your lil ride is gonna look good when she's thru! ;)

Edited by george 53

Hey Mike :)

This is a great choice and a great body style. I love the stance, wheels, engine, and all the details so far.

If it were me, and you know how I'd build, I'd leave the body stock.

A solid bright Yellow like on the late Corvette's would definetly get everyone's attention on a contest table. Don't know if you do rattle-cans or urethane's, or both, but i just got me a pint of bright yellow urethane yesterday, and with some red and black detailing on this, it would really "POP" B) .

Again, to me, I would definetly open the doors and go for major detailing on the interior - dash and door panels.

This is just IMHO, but I know whatever you do, it'll be beautiful - dave :D

My vote is with Treehuggers. You gots red wires and disc brake stuffs, so maybe yellow, or orange body--but just one color.

:) Might look better with a chop, but you been trustin' yer instincts so far..........I say keep doin' dat, coz it's lookin' way cool so far. B)

Mike, that's looking pretty cool so far. Your motor, and wheel & tire choices look killer. For comparison, here's a shot of my '41 I did last year, using Rep.& Min. Co. of Md.'s 2 1/2" chopped cab with smoothed and peaked hood. To me, a chopped cab on this truck really gives it a long and lean look. Hope this helps with some ideas!

IMG_1058.jpg

the chasis was under a panel wagon that was a woody, around 1938 I think. was a nice kit ,but the dust had killed the paint

so tada the 41 has up to date running gear. :angry:

From the point of view that I have, it appears that the chassis used is from the AMT "Wagon Rod" release, it used a HIGHLY modified '39 Chevy Sedan Delivery body, with contemporary chassis mods.

From the point of view that I have, it appears that the chassis used is from the AMT "Wagon Rod" release, it used a HIGHLY modified '39 Chevy Sedan Delivery body, with contemporary chassis mods.

decided to take pic of the body the chasis came from to clear up any questions. would recommend the kit for

the thing WAS really nice. :D dont know the year or box art, can't even say if its a revell or not, but most likley is due to the fact I tend to stay away from amt kits (personal preference) . hope this helps anyone interested. :o

IMG_0661.jpg

As for paint- Im thinking of the testors laquer (firery orange). I have a few red models and there is a very nice 41 on this site that was done in bright yellow , another very nice one done in metallic green , and of cource the VERY nice metallic gray one that Randy posted for me on this thread. Yes guys I went and did some research on this one. took a tip from the legend Treehugger Dave and planned this one out a little. that way I don't run into as many problems later in the build. :o

I will do as mutch mock up as possable, THEN come in with the saw and go to town! :D

Ok may i suggest a blue two tone paint job.Top color could be a metallic teal and the bottom could be a dark metallic blue(something deep that makes you want to jump into the paint get where im going bro)Use the door molded line to break it up.The for the bed paint the inner bed the teal color.It should end up pretty trick bro :o .

HAY HAY HAY, IT'S FAT CHEVY.AND GOT SOME NEW PICS FOR YOU.

mock up is almost there , want to open the doors, but want to use the exterior hinges so I'll come at that one with caution.

also think I'm gone cut the hood skirts off and mold to the fenders and just hinge the hood. I'm also thinking the headlights have to go and get some roundies in the front a little lower on the fenders. anyway heres the pics

IMG_0664_1.jpg

IMG_0663_1.jpg

sorry about the lighting I need a new bulb for the light. but you can still get the idea of the look.

You know a build is going in the right direction when the first words out of your mouth are WOW, based on the first pic. Great build!!!!!!!!

I often wonder if the model companies can even imagine what we're going to do with their product?

you know I often wounder that same thing, but then again it would be a very scary place to get into the minds of some of the guys heads aroud here. <_< I know I wouldent want to go there. :)

that is one sweet looking 41' youve got there.

i started one last year and never finished it, awesome kit to run with.

mine got chopped, channeled, sectioned, half way painted and thrown on a shelf to collect dust.

might just have the inspiration to finish it after seeing this thread.

cant wait to see how your build turns out.

41chevy-1.jpg

41chevyrightside.jpg

that is one sweet looking 41' youve got there.

i started one last year and never finished it, awesome kit to run with.

mine got chopped, channeled, sectioned, half way painted and thrown on a shelf to collect dust.

might just have the inspiration to finish it after seeing this thread.

cant wait to see how your build turns out.

41chevyrightside.jpg

:PP! 'that is one sweet sick looking 41' youve got there.....' :huh::D

ManOManOMan!! This thing is lookin' Awesome!! Looks like the 'magic' of the forum is workin' again!

'cant wait to see how your build turns out.' :P

Oh yeah....... :lol: yours is looking mighty fine too, Plum B)