Model Cars Magazine Forum

Black '37 Ford sedan

JayVee

It's been a while since I did any model car work, but I have been meaning to add a brighter layer of fire to this '37 for about a year or so. I finally got back to it and here's where it stands at this point. I think I'll go with a red interior and drivetrain, and I'm planning on making a custom engine cover that will be black with the fire theme:

TrueFire37_2.jpg

TrueFire37_3.jpg

Thanks man, now that I see the photos from a distance I can tell that I need to touch up one spot near the top of driver's door where the flames are coming from the wrong direction. I'll need to shape that lick with some black paint and then add the final clear coat. Overall though, I'm happy with the intensity of this layer of brightness. I wanted it to start very strong at the front and taper off to the darker shades to really contrast with the black base.

I touched up the flames by using black to cut back certain licks, and I also added some more clear orange and red to the trailing sections of the driver's side to match the other side of the car better. The weather must have been right for good paint chemistry because the clear coats went on like we always hope they will! Now it's on to the chassis lowering process.

TrueFire37_4.jpg

The ’37 is such a handsome car. Your spectacular yet tasteful paint job sets it off perfectly. I’m looking forward to the chassis work and how you chose to integrate those big wheels into the total package. Should be an awesome contemporary street rod. Judging from your avatar, you’ve been there before!

OK, last tweak is done. Since I needed one more clear coat on the fenders and hood I snuck in some white licks on the front of the car, (but the camera washes them out and mixes them with reflections.) This scheme isn't really traditional true fire, but a combination of true fire with a white/yellow/orange/red fade from front to back.

TrueFire37_5.jpg

TrueFire37_6.jpg

The ’37 is such a handsome car. Your spectacular yet tasteful paint job sets it off perfectly. I’m looking forward to the chassis work and how you chose to integrate those big wheels into the total package. Should be an awesome contemporary street rod. Judging from your avatar, you’ve been there before!

I agree that the '37 has great lines, especially lowered. Similar lines to a Porsche 356 in a way. BTW, I changed my avatar so that I wouldn't seem so redundant.

I agree that the '37 has great lines, especially lowered. Similar lines to a Porsche 356 in a way. BTW, I changed my avatar so that I wouldn't seem so redundant.

I also agree. Seeing your builds of this kit inspired me to go buy a couple. I now have 4 and am thinking of buying more!

Edited by Nate

Glad to see you doing another one. Haven't seen much from you lately. Great job so far. I also tend to agree with interior color. Gotta love those 37s. I am actually using some ideas from you on one I am working on now. Great job on the flames again. They just keep getting better. Thanks for the updates.

Thanks guys, here's the kit's engine with an Edelbrock air cleaner and valve covers from a Chevy pickup truck kit. I opted for the Edlebrock pieces instead of an engine cover on this one. The engine, drivetrain, and chassis will be Tamiya Light Gunmetal:

TrueFire37_9.jpg

The chassis has been notched to allow the rear axle assembly to sit closer to the floorpan, the top of the diff was shaved, the rear shock mounts were repositioned closer to floorpan, and the front springs were cut. The exhaust was shaved to clear the rear axle, and the tips were shortened and drilled. Here are a couple of pics showing the ride height:

TrueFire37_10.jpg

TrueFire37_11.jpg

Do you have a picture of the bottom of the chassis? I have seen your other builds of the 37, but I don't know why this one looks lower than you others. The one I am working on is low enough that I have to run the exhaust through the chassis. It looks like they sit about the same.

100_1869.jpg

Thanks,

Mike

The back of this one is actually a bit higher (~1mm) than the red sedan and the blue/white sedan that I did a while back, so that may make the front look lower because of the slight rake. I'll post a pic soon. On all of these the exhaust had to be shaved down a bit to go over the axle, but there's room between the axle and the floorpan. It sounds like you've gone even lower on yours, which looks great so far BTW.

Thanks JayVee! That helps. My problem is the exhaust hitting the ground up front. I have a couple of little tricks I was going to try. As for out back, since it has a Corvette rear end, I was going to run the exhaust under the center section (as that part doesn't move). I am trying to find a nice combined (2 into 1) exhaust tip.

Thanks again,