Model Cars Magazine Forum

Slightly Altered Wagon Rod

Raul_Perez

It's hard for me to believe, but this is the first model I've finished this year!!

It's a slightly altered version of the AMT Wagon Rod. If you're not familiar with the kit, here's a short list of the body modifications:

- the headlights have been moved back to a "near stock" position;

- the grille has been reshaped and shortened;

- the top of the hood has been pie-cut in the front to drop the nose down a bit;

- the sides of the hood have been molded to the body;

- the running boards have been arched on the bottoms and raised to minimize the door gap.

The engine, chassis and interior was built box-stock.

Here's the link to the build.

DSC07594-vi.jpg

DSC07595-vi.jpg

DSC07598-vi.jpg

DSC07606-vi.jpg

DSC07608-vi.jpg

DSC07609-vi.jpg

Well, let's see if I can finish at least one more build before the end of the year...

Later,

That came out verrrry niiiiice indeed! The extensions along the running boards and rear pan really worked out well once the painting got done. Stance is so solid, too.And I love the contrast of the wood trim with that shiny paint. Lotsa thumbzupz dood! 113-vi.gif113-vi.gif113-vi.gifcool.gifsmile.gif Now you just need to call Rent-an-Elf....

That came out verrrry niiiiice indeed! The extensions along the running boards and rear pan really worked out well once the painting got done. Stance is so solid, too.And I love the contrast of the wood trim with that shiny paint. Lotsa thumbzupz dood! 113-vi.gif113-vi.gif113-vi.gifcool.gifsmile.gif Now you just need to call Rent-an-Elf....

Thanks, Bernard!! Yes, I could use a few of Curt's elves to finish some of my builds!!

Slightly altered? Yes. Impeccably built.... DOUBLE yes!!!! cool.gif

Those few relatively minor mods have a pretty big impact on the overall appearance of the finished model, I've never seen a Wagon Rod which looked this good!

Thanks, Chuck!! It's always interesting when you modify a custom model...I'm glad that you like the finished results.

Thanks, guys!!

Yes, unlike Jarius' original artwork for the Wagon Rod, it is a pretty ugly beast if you build it right from the box.

WagonRodBoxArt-vi.jpg

It's really too bad that they didn't make it look like Jarius' drawing.

Though Jarius only provided them with this one drawing, it's clear even from this angle that they really missed the mark on the headlights. And what about the taillights? There are none in the kit! Not even a red decal! Oops!!

Wagonrod-vi.jpg

I also prefer the wheels from the Pontiac Banshee that Jarius included in his artwork, but I didn't want to sacrifice the only Banshee kit that I have for this build.

Given what was in the box, maybe I should have gone with this for the license plate:

SowsEar-vi.jpg

or this

SilkPurse-vi.jpgsmile.gif

Later,

Edited by Raul_Perez

Thanks, guys!

This was supposed to be a "box build" with a minor correction to the headlights.

Somehow it got away from me and quickly turned into multiple modifications...

Later,

"Box Build"..."Raul Perez" somehow the two don't go together cool.gif

Great Job Buddy - lookin' forward to seein' it on the 11th

I''ll get back to ya on "Elf availability" tongue.gif

"Box Build"..."Raul Perez" somehow the two don't go together cool.gif

Great Job Buddy - lookin' forward to seein' it on the 11th

I''ll get back to ya on "Elf availability" tongue.gif

Yeah...I know...but I can dream, can't I? B)

The 11th is still good for me. I'll confirm with Clay.

What's the hourly union rate for an elf? :lol:

Later,

Yes, it's ugly if built straight from the box... Because of those wheels! But yours is looking great, those wheels, I don't like but they fit rightly to this kind of style. I'm building this same kit, and it will be old school custom.

Thanks, guys!

Yeah...the headlight design from the kit really kills the look of the model. Kind of like two limp...well, you know...

I would have gone with the Banshee wheels, but I don't have a spare kit to rob parts from, but I have a few spare Prowler kits...

I wonder how much it would cost AMT to fix just the headlights and how many of these things they'd then sell...huh.gif

Indeed Raul did make a silk purse out of that Sow's ear of a kit. Very nice choice on the taillights too.

Doubt that AMT will ever re-release that kit again. The parts alone were worth the cost (engine, interior, wheels and such), however I think AMT got their money out of those molds for sure. B)

But it really is nothing to write home about if built box stock is it.... :lol:

Thanks, Jarius!!

I'm glad that you like the mods I made, mostly to the kit, but also to your original artwork!!

You're correct, it really is a GREAT parts kit!! That chassis will slip perfectly under the Revell '51 Chevy convertible withtout having to alter the wheelbase. I already checked!!

It would be too bad if they never reissue it, only because it is such a good source of parts.

Later,

Well all your work paid off in a great lookin build...plus I really dig woody's! :rolleyes:B)

Thanks, Brian!! It's good to hear from you. We'll see you at the next NNL West!!

Smooth and clean, buddy, and a great build. Nice addition to the collection.

Thanks, Virgil!!

Maybe if I'd have weathered it a bit, (or a lot), you'd like it even more :wacko:

Later,