Model Cars Magazine Forum

1925 Indian gasolins station diorama

rocketman42

Brad,thanks for the kind words.This was my first attempt and most of the procedures came from sites just like this one.

The pump ornaments are made by CTH sales and marketing,1860 west winchester Rd,Libertyvile,Il,60048.Their website is cthcollectibles.com.

their phone is (847)549-6425.

Mine came in a set of 6 pieces with the Texaco sinage and colors.I also have some in yellow and are sold with Shell co.logos and colors.The CTH site is cluttered wirh a lot of products for John Deere and College logo stuff so I suggest going to EBAY.I found a set of the Shell pumps on there now by searching under CTH gas pump ornaments.I tried copying and pasting that link but I am really not very good at those things at all.Using my very handy Murphys Rule scale ruler these scale to 7'9"tall so if you need some visible top pumps for a vintage station dio these are great.Nicely detailed and only needing to be repainted.

I hope this helps.Good luck!!

I'm a little "lost" here as to ornaments . If one want s to know the pumps at Tom's Indian service station , they were Bowser C-111's . These pumps were around 12 feet tall without a 15inch globe attachment . Two versions were made , a manual and an optional air option allowing air to be pumped into the underground tank where the gasoline then traveled to the glass cylinder . the attendant than sold the gasoline in the desired amount via gravity . The standard manual simply used a dual action siphon pump to draw fuel up through a delivery pipe into a 10 gallon cylinder . I'm not aware of any other cylinders ever used on this model . Bowser did manufacture some Dual 10 gallon models and a few five gallon models .

If anyone here needs specific information to any vintage gasoline pump or company history, please send me a P- M . I also have original literature and repair manuals for some models too.

Nope,no achitecural background at all.Only training I ever had was what was called Industrial Arts in high school that taught us(we had 5 in the class)in the mid 1950's basic skills like line drawings,etc.The rest was about wood working.Please remember that only the mocked up station was made from cardboard.The final building is built from plywood,basswood,Plastic(trim)and sandpaper(shingles).Thanks for asking.

Those basic skills are so essential to life, and they no longer teach them. The abandonment of practical education and real teaching is why I can't do it anymore, and am moving on to other things.

Tom, that station came out beautifully. Definitely something to be very proud of.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks for the kind words Charlie.Another loss to education here in my humble opinion is that with the exception of a short period of local hisotry in the third grade(!)history is no longer taught.As a member of a small local historical society here in town I voluntarily visit our local third grade class annually a give a little talk about what local history.

I give the teacher some 1900-1915 era postcards and photos of places within a 3 block radius of the school.Remember this whole vilage is only basically about 6 blocks square so everything is close.She shows the pictures on a classroom screen and we talk about what they are seeing then take a walk to visit those same exact places to show what they look like today.We take another couple of hours on another day to visit out small historical society museum with those same kids and their absolutely love it.

When those kids recognize me on the street and say hello because we spent a little time exploring the local history tells me they enjoyed it and that experience will probably stick with them .

Thanks.I have just posted 5 more photos into my album showing the beginning of the outdoor wooden drive up service ramp and grease pit for this diorama if anyone's intrested in following along.Hope everyone has some time to build during the holidays.If you do have fun with it!

Edited by misterNNL

Thanks Ron....I have always liked vintage gas stations and have been collecting photos of local ones for years thinking that someday I would finally get motivated to build something.Seeing the original Indian station photos from right here in town was the tipping point that finally got me started.In that same batch of old photos I also found a 1920's brick Sinclair station that was within one block of the Indian staion and litterally across the street from it.That may be my next project but first I have to finish this build by creating a base for it with oily gravel,the service pit,a rusty junk pile out back,and on and on and on.I see it all in my head and am anxious to get going.First I have to find some 2"thick blue builders foam without have to buy a whole 4' x 8' sheet of the stuff!Stay tuned for more progress photos.Have a great holiday season.....Tom

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem.I built a photo op dio before I built the Indian station and have a couple dozen photos in a Fotki photo file that I'd like to share.My problem is that I've accidently password protected it and don't know how to unlock it so it can be posted and shared.Doers any one know how to unlock the file without starting over?

On my workbench:1920 Olds speedster hot rod

chopped 1937 Studerbaker hot rod bus

1951 Anglia phantom 3 window high boy coupe hot rod

On my drawing board:1/25 scale drawings of a local 1880 brick one room school house

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...