Model Cars Magazine Forum

2013 Lowrider Tour

wgflatliner

Hello,

This is the official 2013 lowrider tour CBP.

Did you not finish a build for 2012? Feel free to continue in 2013 on this thread!

There is no limit on entries, and the deadline is December 31st, but if you don't finish this year, you can continue in 2014!

I have personally ordered a decent amount of lowrider kits, and i don't mind getting some into this thread.

Included in my possible list of lowriders:

every impala from 58-67 (multiples of every year, hard tops, convertibles, etc) - i do have a 1963 hardtop already painted, just need to finish it

a monte carlo (1980ish?)

an 84 el camino

a 39 chevy sedan delivery

maybe a 50 olds to make a bomb style lowrider would be cool?

here's the most recent pics of the paint job (i'm going to re-do the foil):

DSC03691.jpg

DSC03689.jpg

i did all the masking for the pinstripes and the celtic knot on the hood, and the evil leprechaun is freehand airbrushed (if you've seen the Leprechaun movies, that's the inspiration). I suck at painting/drawing people so considering that, i'm pretty happy with the leprechaun dude on the trunk, haha..

The engine (frame also gold):

DSC03605.jpg

To get the gold, it was a three part paint system: After prep, and such, i painted the frame gloss black, then alclad chrome, and on top of the alclad chrome and kit chrome, i used alclad clear yellow to obtain the shiny gold look that you see here.

If you have any questions or entries, feel free to ask and post them up!

B)

Count me in for sure.

No idea as to what I will build, but im like you Mark many kits to choose from.

I wont be able to start or post anything anytime soon.As I have quite a few other builds that are planned to be built and a few in progress so I need to get them done before I will be able to start and contribute.

So with that being said, look forward too see who joins in and what gets built.

I will participate at a later date.

B)

Count me in for sure.

No idea as to what I will build, but im like you Mark many kits to choose from.

I wont be able to start or post anything anytime soon.As I have quite a few other builds that are planned to be built and a few in progress so I need to get them done before I will be able to start and contribute.

So with that being said, look forward too see who joins in and what gets built.

I will participate at a later date.

same thing here, Luke. I need to get this Corvette off of my bench, then a 37 ford (just need to finish the airbrush work). i have about 12 kits started/not finished. i want to knock at least half of those out before i open a new kit. Thankfully one of them is that 63 impala that i should probably go get some materials for. I just lacked motivation to work on models thanks to mandatory overtime at work draining my energy.

BUT - fear not, the 2013 lowrider tour will be a good one.

same thing here, Luke. I need to get this Corvette off of my bench, then a 37 ford (just need to finish the airbrush work). i have about 12 kits started/not finished. i want to knock at least half of those out before i open a new kit. Thankfully one of them is that 63 impala that i should probably go get some materials for. I just lacked motivation to work on models thanks to mandatory overtime at work draining my energy.

BUT - fear not, the 2013 lowrider tour will be a good one.

Yeah I know what you mean about lack of motivation, have just been through a stage of that myself.

2012 Tour was fun,so id like to think 2013 will be just as much fun if not more.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i have made decision as to what my first build will be.

Not that il be starting to build it anytime soon,just a heads up as to what I plan to build.

Revell 86 Chevy Monte Carlo SS, and will be fitting a Jevries LS conversion kit. B)

Edited by Cool Hand

Thanks Mark ,for bringing a cheesy grin to my face..LOL

Now I can finish the '57 Ford Wagon I started last year.

Then if I can jump the gun...a '70 MC ..first lifted lowrider I saw in Texas.

Green metalflake paint and limo tint windows..I just stared at it....wow ..just wow.

Can't wait to see some Lead City Customs from "El Luke" from the "barrio" of Australia.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to join this build but my plans are to do a 41 Chevy pickup. Is that cool?

Unfortunately I also have two builds going already that I NEED to concentrate on, but I have been wanting to get started on this 41 for a long time. Let me know.

Later-

OK. Not sure if this CBP is still active but here is what my build will be. I've had an idea for quite some time to build a 41 Chevy pickup as a low rider. I had envisioned it in shades of blue. Here is the kit.

IMG_20130514_064413.jpg

I had a spare 60 Impala built up that I had picked up somewhere. The previous owner had a "colorful" personality. I thought of using the front suspension.

IMG_20130514_055507-1.jpg

I tore it apart and cut out the frame.

IMG_20130514_064509-1.jpg

I am opening up the grilles on the side of the hood. This is going to take a bit of work.

IMG_20130513_142022-1.jpg

You probably can't see it in this photo but I cut out the grille and am putting styrene pieces in that are 4/10 of an inch with a slight bend at 2 and a half 10ths, which will eventually make a row of fins. I can't explain it better but it will explain itself when I'm done.

Later-

Wow! I feel so all alone! Lol.

So anywho....

I have already had a change of plans. I had originally decided to use the chassis from a built up 70 MC that I picked up from a friend, but it was too wide. So I went with cutting out the front frame and suspension from the 60 Impala Lowrider kit. After making the cuts shown above it kept falling apart on me. I dug out the chassis from the 70 MC again and decided that I like it better and began hacking it up to narrow it. Since this build will probably have the Inline 6 in it the front frame section doesn't have to be too wide. Pics to come tomorrow, maybe.

Later-

Whoo Hoo! I have company. That Impala's suspension work looks great.

I got a bit more work done on the chassis for my 41 today but I ran out of Super glue yesterday, so waiting for the liquid cement to dry slowed things down quite a bit.

IMG_20130516_060428.jpg

IMG_20130516_062832-1.jpg

I narrowed the front chassis/suspension but haven't gotten it attached yet. I still need to shorten and narrow the rear chassis and axle.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Good morning. I have been working a bit on the 41 this morning. Here is a start on my sun visor. It is just tacked in place for fitment. I have a bit more shaping to do and I need to make brackets for it.

IMG_20130517_065832.jpg

There will be more work on the suspension today.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

James-

Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking calling your build an Impala. I guess it has been so long since I've seen anyone building that kit that I forgot it was a Caprice. It's looking good. I checked it out in the Workbench section.

I went to a buddy's house tonight and he gave me some Super glue. I'll be up to getting the frame done by Monday or Tuesday.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

James-

That is looking great. You are making good progress on this. Are you planning any graphics or additional paint detail?

I didn't get any work done on my 41 today. I am alternating between it and my 51 Chevy Boulevard Creeper build. I'm working on extending the rear fenders and molding in the taillights on the 51.

Later-

Sounds great. This is my first lowrider build so if anything doesn't look right, please let me know. I've had this idea for quite some time and it all started from my wheel choice, which I will be keeping a secret for a while.

Any who, I got a chance tonight for about an hour of building and I didn't get much done. I shortened the rear of the frame to fit within the length of the bed. I raised the floor of the bed to where it needs to be to allow the frame to sit right. I will be replacing the bed floor with a flat piece of plastic to replicate a steel floor.

Lastly, I cut notches out of the bottom front of the cab for clearance of my new frame cross member.

IMG_20130521_211755.jpg

IMG_20130521_211642.jpg

IMG_20130521_211801.jpg

There is still a bit of redesigning to be done to the frame before it is finished, but it is a good start.

Later-

Here is what I got done this week and a bit today. I cut the tops of the rear wheel wells off of a 60 Impala chassis and molded them into the bed. The floor of the bed has been raised quite a bit.

IMG_20130529_134209.jpg

I notched the tranny cross member and sanded a little thickness off of the part under the oil pan (my brain just froze up on the name) to lower the engine about a 16th so that my tranny tunnel wouldn't need to be as tall.

IMG_20130529_134125.jpg

IMG_20130529_134137.jpg

Lastly, I made a tranny tunnel out of some pop can aluminum.

IMG_20130529_134057.jpg

I'm home now and my wife is sick so I may get a chance to do some more work tonight.

Let me know what you think. Remember, this is my first lowrider so I may need some guidance.

Later-