Model Cars Magazine Forum

What’s The Coolest Lincoln Your Washingtons Could Buy?

What’s The Coolest Lincoln Your Washingtons Could Buy?

Terry-Whitt_Jr_HotRodLincoln.jpg

Today being President’s Day here in Amerika it gives us an opportunity to reflect on some occupiers of the White House that history and accomplishment have allowed us to venerate. Of course, this being Hooniverse, we’re actually more interested in their automotive namesakes and as the Washington Car is excessively obscure, we’re going to focus on the brand named for the other birthday boy – Lincoln.

Lincoln was founded in 1915 by Henry M. Leland – who coincidentally also founded Cadillac making him the great-great grandfather of all our current American luxury offerings. Ford bought Lincoln in 1922, eager in anticipation of positioning the brand against Cadillac, which was the re-named Henry Ford Company from which he had been forcibly removed way back in 1902. Over the decades the company has offered everything from the most expensive American car at the time (the ’56-’57 Continental Mark II) to luxury pickups and the current standard setter for the livery industry.

They’ve also been venerated in song, have been the subject of an early rocker – Hot Rod Lincoln. While that song describes a Model A infused with Lincoln V8 goodness, the brand itself has offered up a plethora of product that are as lust worthy as any. And so, on this day when we celebrate Presidents Washington and Lincoln, I want to know which cars named for the latter would be most worth spending bills featuring the former? What’s the Coolest Lincoln ever?

The Lincoln at the top is an abomination, but the '39, '48 and 56-57 models were the best, regardless of whether you count the 56-57 MK II as a Lincoln. The latter is one of the most beautifully styled American cars of all time, which came before Pininfarina's 1958 Ferrari 250 GT coupe of a very similar design.

Edited by sjordan2

In addition to the Mark 1 and Mark II Continentals posted above... 1. The '72 Mark IV - the second generation modern-era Mark, available for just one model year before it grew Nader era railroadtie bumpers. 2. The '87-92 Mark VII LSC with the 5.0L SEFI and the factory BBS wheels. I actually had several of these as leased cars and they were fabulous. I'll never forget seeing Jack Telnack's Silver LSC with BBS's sitting in the circular drive at Meadowbrook Hall....looking as though it fit perfectly with some of the high buck classic era restorations it shared the driveway with... TIM

My nice little Washington's bought me my current Daily Driver. a 2002 Lincoln Continental CE (Collector's Edition). Was bought on Jan. 1, 2013 (Heck of a way to start off the new year) for $7,990 with 74,413 Miles. 1 Owner, owned by an older couple that was looking to upgrade to the new Lincoln MKZ. Check it out at my CarDomain page. Being 23, I've always enjoyed comfort over style as I love to drive.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4019545/2002-lincoln-continental/

I think the one below is pretty cool if we are talking models. We owned an '87 Lincoln Continental that was said to have over 200,000 miles on it when we got it, odometer was digital and quit working. The body was perfect and tight, it never used a drop of oil between changes, drove it several years replacing only the air bags, which helped it drive like a dream. It had really nice leather seats, 4-wheel discs and abs system, a very nice sound system, why did we trade it? Why? Why? And for a GO Metro that drove like a Pepsi can.DSC03309_zpsa15a9d42.jpg

Edited by rmvw guy

I think the one below is pretty cool if we are talking models. We owned an '87 Lincoln Continental that was said to have over 200,000 miles on it when we got it, odometer was digital and quit working. The body was perfect and tight, it never used a drop of oil between changes, drove it several years replacing only the air bags, which helped it drive like a dream. It had really nice leather seats, 4-wheel discs and abs system, a very nice sound system, why did we trade it? Why? Why? And for a GO Metro that drove like a Pepsi can.DSC03309_zpsa15a9d42.jpg

Should be ashamed! Never trade a Lincoln! :lol: I kid, I kid. I would have never believed that Airbags would have really made that big of difference for riding. Needless to say, I no longer dread speed bumps. I've always been a sucker for the Old Skool 60's Continental.

Seeing this is pure fantasy....

Daily driver: A bunch of 1980-2011 Town Cars (1 or 2 from each generation), driven in rotation for the nice weather; a Navigator for the winter.

A 1970s Continental as a celebration of what a real American car once was.

Fun newer car: A Mk. VIII without sunroof.

Going out without a crowd: A Mk. III- perfect for myself to go someplace special.

Convertible: 1961-62 Continental convertible. Make mine blue, please.

Show stoppers:

1958-60- any body style.

1956-57 Capri or Premeire. I think the coupes flow so nicely, but all of these are beautiful cars. I especially like the two-tone of white with sort of aquamarine accent I saw a picture of once. Gorgeous.

1949-'51 Cosmopolitan. Just weird enough to be cool.

A 1937-38 Zephyr of any body style. The coupe is gorgeous, but I'd be happy with any of those.

A custom-bodied car from the 1920s or '30s.

Charlie Larkin