Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '69 Chevrolet Corvair

back to the 'vair I have the prestige kit, the blueprinter issue, and also a couple of 69 Monza "Custom" series kits that look like maybe are from the mid 70s. these are all the same kit, right? any extras in some not in others?

and then that is the same body matched with a funny car chassis that comprise this latest issue?

jb

is this "Scorpion" the same as the base kit for a recent series of scratchbuilding articles in MCM?

that set of articles was pretty inspiring and intimidating at the same time.

jb

Not positve but it sure looked like it was.

back to the 'vair I have the prestige kit, the blueprinter issue, and also a couple of 69 Monza "Custom" series kits that look like maybe are from the mid 70s. these are all the same kit, right? any extras in some not in others?

and then that is the same body matched with a funny car chassis that comprise this latest issue?

jb

The "custom" was a early - mid 70's issue that left out a lot of parts, including stock. The AMT annual 1967 - 1969 Corvair kits were pretty much all the same and still had the Fitch Sprint parts ( roof, trombone exhaust ) and Yenko parts ( c pillar fillers, engine lid ). I would have to check but the only annual kit with factory correct wheel covers may have been the 1967. The 1969 annual kit was reissued in the early to mid 70's as a Corvair Monza with yellow car on the box, the Yenko Stinger box, and the Custom. The Corvair Monza and Yenko boxings had all the optional parts from the annual kits, even some left over turbo parts from the 1965-66 Corsa versions. The wheels included changed some but all kits had 5 slot chrome Ansons(?), or 5 spokes..

The prestige kit also had all of the Sprint/Yenko parts but also included the correct 1966-1969 factory wheel covers. The last issue from 10 yrs ago or so has all of the Sprint/Yenko parts as well, This kit also included a top boot that never appeared in any of the kits but was for the promo's. The last issues were the best as they had the most option parts plus the boot.

The funny car kit is just the stock body on the mid engine chassis. The only corvair related parts that are unique are headlight bucket fillers and front spoiler.

Not positve but it sure looked like it was.

The "custom" was a early - mid 70's issue that left out a lot of parts, including stock. The AMT annual 1967 - 1969 Corvair kits were pretty much all the same and still had the Fitch Sprint parts ( roof, trombone exhaust ) and Yenko parts ( c pillar fillers, engine lid ). I would have to check but the only annual kit with factory correct wheel covers may have been the 1967. The 1969 annual kit was reissued in the early to mid 70's as a Corvair Monza with yellow car on the box, the Yenko Stinger box, and the Custom. The Corvair Monza and Yenko boxings had all the optional parts from the annual kits, even some left over turbo parts from the 1965-66 Corsa versions. The wheels included changed some but all kits had 5 slot chrome Ansons(?), or 5 spokes..

The prestige kit also had all of the Sprint/Yenko parts but also included the correct 1966-1969 factory wheel covers. The last issue from 10 yrs ago or so has all of the Sprint/Yenko parts as well, This kit also included a top boot that never appeared in any of the kits but was for the promo's. The last issues were the best as they had the most option parts plus the boot.

The funny car kit is just the stock body on the mid engine chassis. The only corvair related parts that are unique are headlight bucket fillers and front spoiler.

The '67 was the last annual to include stock wheel covers. The '68 annual kit box was marked "for 1968", meaning that AMT (not doing a promotional model for '68) did not have information on the 1:1 '68 when they produced the kit. Other "for 1968" AMT kits include the Camaro (a custom '67), Firebird (custom only, based heavily on the Camaro), and a "Chevrolet SS 427" (basically a custom-only '67 Impala with no rear window). I haven't got the "for 1968" Corvair kit, but my guess is that it had a '67 interior, and possibly did not have side markers on the body.

Me too!!! I'm really hoping they bring back the old Corvair Corsa kits as well. If they revamp it to look like the old '65 annual, that would be SWEET. As the owner of a full-size '65 Corvair convertible, this would be worth the wait.

I'm all for this version being reissued too. I would like to it be a '65 or '66 Corsa rather than a '69 (or '68 depending how you look at) Monza.

Scott

I've been hoping for decades for the early Corvair to be done, redone or whatever. I suppose redone would be a lot to ask for. As for the 1:1, My Dad had two first gens and two 2nd gens when they were new, I had two second gens in the 70's. I always thought that the new rear suspension debuted under the '64, the year before the redesign. One of the problems with the early models is that most owners ignored the tire pressures (bias-plys) called out in the manual. Mine were both fitted with radials which radically changed things handling wise.

OK, Corvairs I'd like to see done as 1/25 scale model kits. '65 or '66 Corsa hardtop and convertible. '65, '66, or '67 Monza 4-door hardtop. A Ramside pickup, Greenbiar, and Corvan. I don't care what year on those. A '62 Monza station wagon. And finally, a '62, '63, or '64 Monza Spyder convertible.

Scott

OK, Corvairs I'd like to see done as 1/25 scale model kits. '65 or '66 Corsa hardtop and convertible. '65, '66, or '67 Monza 4-door hardtop. A Ramside pickup, Greenbiar, and Corvan. I don't care what year on those. A '62 Monza station wagon. And finally, a '62, '63, or '64 Monza Spyder convertible.

Scott

Modelhaus already offers the 4-door.

The last re-issue of the stock Corvair had the promo boot for the convertible, and it had the full turbo setup too.

IIRC it was not mentioned in instructions, but there are copies on web of the assembly step. Not intuitive, but fairly simple.

Pretty easy to knock roof off and do a convert. I don't remember what year interior we're left with in the kit, either 68 or 69.

Don Holthaus has several years of 4-door series 2, and I believe he has convert body itself under bodies only, $26 last time I looked.

Modelhaus does have a 1966 Corsa convertible. Available as a complete kit or body/interior to use with a later issue. It's curbside but easy to open up the engine lid. Don also has the missing plated turbo parts for sale but they come unplated. The original unplated parts have been in most of the reissued kits including the prestige and last versions. These are the turbo, carb, and exhaust pipes. The original plated parts were the intake crossover tube, the turbo aircleaner, and the spare tire heatshield. These have been missing in all kits since the 1966 Corsa ( they may possibly have been leftover in the 1967 Monza kit),

Modelhaus does have a 1966 Corsa convertible. Available as a complete kit or body/interior to use with a later issue. It's curbside but easy to open up the engine lid. Don also has the missing plated turbo parts for sale but they come unplated. The original unplated parts have been in most of the reissued kits including the prestige and last versions. These are the turbo, carb, and exhaust pipes. The original plated parts were the intake crossover tube, the turbo aircleaner, and the spare tire heatshield. These have been missing in all kits since the 1966 Corsa ( they may possibly have been leftover in the 1967 Monza kit),

I have a resin '69 convertible body that I got off of evil-bay years ago. I think it was from Missing Link??? Nicely done, came with correct boot and set-up for opening hood.

As others have commented, I really wish that AMT would reissue their pre-'65 Corvairs....

Everybody keeps bring up that Modelhaus makes this or that Corvair in resin. And yes I know Modelhaus offer some of the best resin stuff out there. I've been buying stuff from them for many years now. But, the about cars I mentioned, I'd like to see full kits done styrene plastic. As good as resin can be, it's still not as easy to work with as styrene. It's also not as cheap. I do not expect to get everything I listed above in styrene. But, it would be nice.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

I have a resin '69 convertible body that I got off of evil-bay years ago. I think it was from Missing Link??? Nicely done, came with correct boot and set-up for opening hood.

As others have commented, I really wish that AMT would reissue their pre-'65 Corvairs....

I have one that was made by Time Machine Resin, it's a nice piece. I have the Modelhaus 4dr ht also.