Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT Piranha Super Spy Car

robertw

I recently picked up a copy of Finescale Modeler and in it was an advertisement in regard to this kit By AMT Kit #916 and It indicated it's available now . I went to AMT site and there is no mention of it and no key word would work. Anyone know anything about this kit?? :huh:

I wish they would reissue the Astro 1 show car but they keep bouncing around it. many years ago they indicated they were going to reissue it but never did. Anybody know if it's possible it could happen? :wub:

The Astro 1 got cut up to make the Stinger dragster. I believe there are photos on another post. Basicaly the Astro body with the rear cut off, no windows, trim and details wiped away and the majority of the underbody cut away, fitted to the Piranha dragster chassis. Not much left of the original kit!

Edited by Phirewriter

• 2 weeks later...

This has been one of my holy grails. It was the first model kit I ever finished on my own. I painted it with light blue paint-by-numbers oils and couldn't figure out why it took over a week to dry. I was probably 9 years old at the time (late 1967, early 1968). I loaned the completed kit to a friend and when they brought it back to school, the janitor tossed it out with the trash. Yah, there were just a few finger prints on that one but man it looked cool.

Can't wait! :D

I loaned the completed kit to a friend and when they brought it back to school, the janitor tossed it out with the trash. Yah, there were just a few finger prints on that one but man it looked cool.

I'll bet everyone here could tell at least one such tale about a "holy grail" kit that slipped through one's fingers back in the day! B):(:angry:

This has been one of my holy grails. It was the first model kit I ever finished on my own. I painted it with light blue paint-by-numbers oils and couldn't figure out why it took over a week to dry. I was probably 9 years old at the time (late 1967, early 1968). I loaned the completed kit to a friend and when they brought it back to school, the janitor tossed it out with the trash. Yah, there were just a few finger prints on that one but man it looked cool.

Can't wait! :D

Since I love to collect models of all Corvair-powered cars, the Piranha has also been a "Grail" kit of mine for many years. A couple of years ago, I finally found a reasonably priced example of the Piranha's companion kit (see attached), and now they go and reissue the kit!

Oh well, I can enjoy the funky box art...

post-10758-0-73937300-1420168706_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if this is out yet man

Cheers

It's out, got one today. Never have even looked at one of these kits before, but it's pretty cool and has more parts than I would have guessed. The 12-page booklet has nice pictures of a few different full-size Piranhas, but I really like the tires. Haven't compared them to anything else yet, but they look like a classic AMT compact car tire (like in the recent Ohio George '60 Ranchero). One side has a printed redline, and the other has a blue line and white Goodyear Speedway Blue Streak lettering.

OK team, here's a full (31 image) review with text of the new Round 2 reissue of this kit...

Use the "roll" feature to quickly scroll through the images and commentary here...

http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/amt-piranha-super-s/

...or just try this link, which hopefully will take directly to the "roll" presentation....

http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/amt-piranha-super-s/?view=roll

DSC_0456-vi.jpg

DSC_0462-vi.jpg

And...thanks for looking! Cheers...TIM

it looks like kind of a kool kit, with some kool features, but the problem to me is the same now as in 1966: its just plain butt ugly and smacks of desperate desire to be "European" with design clichés lifted from here there and everywhere, that just succeeds in making it look very awkward and uncomfortable.

appreciate that review Tim, very revealing and it is very impressive that the tooling has apparently remained so pristine after all these years.

jb

it looks like kind of a kool kit, with some kool features, but the problem to me is the same now as in 1966: its just plain butt ugly and smacks of desperate desire to be "European" with design clichés lifted from here there and everywhere, that just succeeds in making it look very awkward and uncomfortable.

Well yes, I'll admit it's a bit oddball (maybe that's part of the appeal for me), but as is often the case "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". And it's Corvair powered!

I built the drag car when it was new, but for some reason I wasn't even aware of the "stock" version until just a few years ago. Then I started thinking it would be a cool kit to have - but not at the prices it was commanding. So once again, nice to have it back!