Model Cars Magazine Forum

2015 Ford Mustang Snap Kit as a giveaway at NAIAS

Well I expect the video is probably designed to be played at the Make 'n Take area on a loop. So the target audience is in the single digits, and they sort of expect the over-the-top engaging delivery.

Meanwhile there ya go folks who want a modern car, here's your 2015 Mustang! Now back to 50's with you before this modernity stinks up our tweed...

Good thing you posted the video link, Martinsfan5 would NEVER have believed that Revell would have a kit out before the actual car hits the streets otherwise.

12 pieces of mostly assembled plastic toy is hardly a model kit. The only reason they had it there was Ford PAID them to have it there.

At least it shows signs of factory assistance while the car was still top secret. Hasn't been too much of that lately. For the past few years Revell had to go and find an measure a 1:1 on their own dime if they wanted to make a model of it. If you want kits of new cars while they're still relatively new (making a new full-detail model kit is about a 2-year process from concept to shelves) then there has to be factory assistance before the car is public.

Edited by Brett Barrow

At least it shows signs of factory assistance while the car was still top secret. Hasn't been too much of that lately. For the past few years Revell had to go and find an measure a 1:1 on their own dime if they wanted to make a model of it. If you want kits of new cars while they're still relatively new (making a new full-detail model kit is about a 2-year process from concept to shelves) then there has to be factory assistance before the car is public.

I agree completely, hope this "kit", along with the sound bites from the Revell people indicate a new relationship with Ford going forward.

I wonder if they will do a promo version and sell it at Ford dealers...would be a neat retro touch.... Though it's been a while since Revell has done promos, most recent ones have been from Round 2.

They did the Corvette promos from 2000-2007, then the Corvette/GM promo deal went to DoAllSer (now known as AMT's "Showroom Replica" line)

I think most of their current Snap-tite line were designed intended to be sold as promos during this same time frame when they had the GM promo contract, but I've only seen the 63 Vette coupe, 57 Chevy, and Impala Police Car actually done up as pre-assembled promos. Anybody ever seen a promo version of the others (63 Corvette convertible, 77 Monte Carlo, 69 Camaro, 70 Chevelle, Camaro Concept)?

Edited by Brett Barrow

Looking at the fellow in that vid, makes one wonder if the single-digit referenced is I.Q.

Well Glenn with all due respect you're about 10x too old for the video. Mr. Wizard got replaced with Bill Nye - The Science Guy a while ago, and this embodies a little bit of that "too interested in the subject matter - over the top delivery". It's slap-stick and kooky, like Luc points out kids will love it. It's Ford's video, not Revell's and as such it's not a Detailed How-To on Model Building, but I imagine Ford's ad people know exactly what they're doing. The video is meant to be playing on monitors as you enter the Auto Show, to grab the kids attention, who will then immediately want one of those "cool" Mustangs of their own and drag their parents past all of the other manufacturer's displays directly to the Ford "booth". Sure a mom and dad with 6-12 year old kids aren't in the market for a Mustang (although Dad and/or Mom might want one), but it's all about getting people in the "door" and then getting them to sit in a cross-over or the F-150 they actually will buy this year.

Edited by niteowl7710

As an addendum to my earlier comments...

When I played it for my wife, all THREE of my kids (including an 11 m/o - although he was more interested in trying to touch my mousepad) came to watch. My 2 y/o was pointing at the screen shouting "Car-Car! CAR-CAR!!!", while my 11 y/o was asking if they were going to give them away at the Car Show in Pittsburgh next month. Both of them are female type children.

Ford - MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Edited by niteowl7710

JAN 16, 2014 | DETROIT KIDS OF ALL AGES CAN GET AN ALL-NEW MUSTANG; FREE REVELL MODEL KITS AT NORTH AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW

• Revell® is giving away the first official 2015 Ford Mustang model kit free of charge to visitors to the Ford display at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit
  • The 2014 North American International Auto Show marks the first public auto show appearance of the all-new Ford Mustang

Pony car fans of any age can be first in the world to own the all-new 2015 Ford Mustang this weekend at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. To commemorate 50 years of Ford Mustang, Revell® – a worldwide leader in the hobby industry – will host a Make ’n Take™ event at the Ford booth during the show.

At the event, children will be able to build and take home their own free Auto Show Edition 2015 Ford Mustang model before the all-new pony car even hits the road.

Revell’s 2015 Ford Mustang model kit easily snaps together in minutes. The overall experience is engaging, authentic and fun for families and kids of all ages.

Edited by 1930fordpickup

12 pieces of mostly assembled plastic toy is hardly a model kit. The only reason they had it there was Ford PAID them to have it there.

Not perhaps to a modeler that's built tons. Selling the first one to 300000 kids is better than 10000 to complainers. Hope it's accurate as possible.

Industry started with promos. My 9 yo and 12 yo started with snap kits. Their glue stuff remained unbuilt, no satisfaction like the Xbox 1 gives.

Kids get interested in Ford products, kids grow to buy Ford products. Kids don't want old. Kids want new. Not 2yr late new.

Glad they get it. Glad Ford paid them. Good business for both.

So what do you do when you can't go to the naias and want one of the new Mustang kits

Admire Ford's marketing acumen and be glad they pulled Revell in on this, I suppose; and kinda rock back on your heels 'n wait just a bit - your favorite online auction site will surely have a few, and you'd have to imagine Revell will limit supply only as long as they're contractually obliged for the promotion. At least it augurs well for a next-gen Mustang before 2017, and maybe even a full-detail kit at that.

And I just can't quite work up the offense over Mr Lab coat "expert toy car model builder" - is he really so much stupider than

maybe I best not finish that sentence. B)

And I just can't quite work up the offense over Mr Lab coat "expert toy car model builder" - is he really so much stupider than

maybe I best not finish that sentence. B)

ROFLMAO Chuck, we'd both run out of electrons. Just nametag fill-in-the blanks had me in hysterics.

A:

B:

C:

D:

.And as a shareholder, I love it.

I'm wondering how far Ford will carry this.

I'll let you know after the kick-off event of the Good Guys Rod & Custom Association's 2014 season here in Scottsdale. Revell provides thousands of kits for Make-n-Take Events at 19 Good Guys Events around the country. Could this year's kit be a 50th Anniversary Mustang? Hmmmmmmm.