Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are the worst kits you've ever built?

Some of those Hellers aren't so bad. I'm currently wrestling with my second Citroen DS build.

185-8512_IMG.jpg

181-8189_IMG.jpg

They'll make you work harder than you want or should need to, but....

I did end up throwing their Citroen 2CV in the trash because I just got fed up with its overall merde-iness.

I sometimes think either many here are too young to realize that at one time many of these kits were the best you could get given technology back then! They also seem to think all kits will someday be reintroduced as new kits which will never happen so deal with the old and be glad they do exist!

They also don't know or forget the great builds some of the best did with those very same "terrible" kits!

Even some who grew up in the era are so spoiled now by some of the new and I have to say great designed and detailed kits (although they will still whine and nit pick them too) that they forget that they DID enjoy building those so called terrible kits back then and took pride in the build!

You ever stop and think that just maybe threads like this one is why we will see even less kits mastered in the future?

It is one thing to suggest changes in future kits but when you are this critical it will give manufactures pause in re releasing old kits because they feel no one would buy them when it is a few naysayers that are really doing all the whining!

Threads like this are pretty disheartening to say the least!

I sometimes think either many here are too young to realize that at one time many of these kits were the best you could get given technology back then! They also seem to think all kits will someday be reintroduced as new kits which will never happen so deal with the old and be glad they do exist!

They also don't know or forget the great builds some of the best did with those very same "terrible" kits!

Even some who grew up in the era are so spoiled now by some of the new and I have to say great designed and detailed kits (although they will still whine and nit pick them too) that they forget that they DID enjoy building those so called terrible kits back then and took pride in the build!

You ever stop and think that just maybe threads like this one is why we will see even less kits mastered in the future?

It is one thing to suggest changes in future kits but when you are this critical it will give manufactures pause in re releasing old kits because they feel no one would buy them when it is a few naysayers that are really doing all the whining!

Threads like this are pretty disheartening to say the least!

"some who grew up in the era are so spoiled now by some of the new"

Oh man, is this gonna be one of those, "When I was a kid we had no shoes and had to walk to school in the snow, uphill, both ways!", kinda stories?

"You ever stop and think that just maybe threads like this one is why we will see even less kits mastered in the future?"

Umm......no. Quite the opposite. As they are now catering more toward the experienced mature builder, they know we have made due for a lot of years with bad kits that when they offer us new tooling we will buy it like crazy. And they are right.

"It is one thing to suggest changes in future kits but when you are this critical it will give manufactures pause in re releasing old kits"

Perhaps. But in reality they already know which old kits will sell and which won't. This ain't a new hobby. If this thread will help the companies decide what to release - groovy. I'd rather have a better kit, wouldn't you?

"when it is a few naysayers that are really doing all the whining! Threads like this are pretty disheartening to say the least!"

Nobody is whining. We are sharing our collective building experience and I for one have learned a lot. I found out that I have two kits that I haven't started yet, that I now know are gonna give me issues. So I will set those aside for rat rods or junkers. I find that rather heartening actually.

Rob ,, How do you know that your skills may not be much better than the persons telling you that those kits are bad? You may be a much better builder than them and the kits may give you no problems whatsoever? Hard to say right?

Good point! Aside from those few kits that everybody by now knows are bad (Palmer, anyone???), whenever anyone tells you a particular kit is "bad," you have no idea how really "bad" the kit is, because you don't know the skill level of the person making the comment!

A guy who's a fairly untalented modeler is going to see a lot of kits as "bad," because he had a hard time with them. But was it because the kits were bad... or the builder's skills were bad???

Something to think about.

Oh, I forgot some more:

Monogram BMW 535.

Only because the two kits I bought were totaly warped and had a fitment issue between the interior and the body.

And the Monogram Ferarri Testerossa "Miami Vice"

Looked nice and went together pretty decent.... untill fitting the interior and frame to the body (and the glass too (shrugs).

Rob ,, How do you know that your skills may not be much better than the persons telling you that those kits are bad? You may be a much better builder than them and the kits may give you no problems whatsoever? Hard to say right?

Valid point. It is hard to say. However we all know that certain kits have garnered a ....... reputation over the years. And listening to my fellow builders concerning any kit is never a bad idea. But I will of course see for myself eventually.

Edited by Jantrix

Nobody is whining. We are sharing our collective building experience

Rob, I raised four kids and have twelve grand kids! I know whining when I see/hear it and believe me there are more that couple on this thread whining!

Some times you just have to enjoy what you got and what is available then make the best of it. Or one day you may not have any to bitch about! :lol:

Mine is nothing but a problem, not a few points that don't work....no, everything is warped, impossible to fit etc...

I managed last week to get the body on the chassis, apart from being impossible, it is quite frustrating. hehe.

But it is very hard to believe you had no problems, since they looked like it was engineered wrong.

i want to add the Revell Datsun 510 to this list.

maybe when this thing was originally tooled it was quite the masterpiece, maybe not. panel lines? what are those :rolleyes: window moldings and door frames? rain gutters, yeah it has them, sorta.

yes, i will take an all new tooling full detail 510 please.

Panel lines? Window moldings? Door frames? Kind of sounds like the old Revell Trabant kit! I'd call that a bad kit by virtue of its lack of detail and somewhat off body proportions, even though it's a relative breeze to build. (Still glad Palmer didn't design it. :P )

At least there is a new tooling Trabant kit, though. :lol:

Oh, I do ... from the person complaining (also known as whining) about the alleged whining others are doing! ;)

Been waiting for y parrot! What took ya so long! :lol:

"Nobody is whining. We are sharing our collective building experience and I for one have learned a lot."

"Rob, I raised four kids and have twelve grand kids! I know whining when I see/hear it and believe me there are more that couple on this thread whining!"

"I see no evidence of whining."

"Oh, I do ... from the person complaining (also known as whining) about the alleged whining others are doing! ;)"

Some one please make a decision. Are we whining or not? The suspense is killing me.

Hmmm....I found the Revell multi piece body kits I built as a kid in the '80s rather challenging ('59 Skyliner, '60 Corvette), but they did turn out pretty well. The first model I ever built way back in 1978 was a Revell '56 Chevy 2dr sedan w/ opening doors, trunk, etc..it was challenging (but I was 8 at the time).

For sheer lack of accuracy and badness though, it's hard to top the various Palmer kits I've inherited/etc over the years...

I found a lot of the '80s MPC reissues to be not so great...poor fitting, molded in hideous colors (bright orange, bright yellow, black, bright blue) w/ dark window tint, poor chrome, flash, etc. Years later I've aquired the original issue versions of many of those, much better.

I've also found the Trumpeter kits dissapointing for various body accuracy issues, at least when compared to vintage annuals of the same subject.

Edited by Rob Hall