Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Plea for a RUST ONLY Section!

Andy, your list is pretty streamlined, and I think part of the fun is to make some of these "click here" labels more inviting.

I think that's the spirit behind some like "BIG BOYS" and "UNDER GLASS" as opposed to just saying something else.

In my opinion the forum needs a pretty major reworking. I agree with Dave, a separate NASCAR section seems unneccessary, I agree we need just one race section, with specific sub-sections.

What I would like to see is a reshuffling of the major categories, and either deleting or combining several of the sub-sections. And I would have no problem with a new "Weathering" category. The interest does seem o be there.

We went through this debate a while ago, and I posted my idea of how the site ahould be arranged. This is how I would do things:

GENERAL (same as what we have now)

MODEL CARS

• Under Glass-All categories of CARS

• In Progress: Stock, Street, Show, Custom

• In Progress: Competition (Drag, NASCAR, F1, Indy, etc.)

• Kit News, Reviews, and Opinions

• 1/1 Car Reference Photos

MODEL TRUCKS

• Under Glass-All categories of TRUCKS

• In Progress: Big Rig, Heavy Commercial, Police, Fire, Emergency

• In Progress: Pickups, SUVs, Light Commercial

• Kit News, Reviews and Opinions

• 1/1 Truck Reference Photos

OTHER MODELS

• Diecast

• Large Scale (1/20 and up)

• Dioramas

• All the rest (planes, military, figures, paper models, etc.)

THE HOBBY ROOM

• Tips, Tricks & Tutorials

• How Do I...?

• Resin & Aftermarket

COMMUNITY

• Auto Art

• Community Builds

• Clubs, Contests, Shows & Events

• Real or Model/Auto ID

• Swap, Trade or Free

• Wanted

• Links, Advertisers & Web Sites

MODEL CAR RACING

Harry this does make a lot of sense.

What is going on with all the attacks.....if you dont like a member..why reply ?

I know some who will answer this......and its always the same crowd.......

Thanks Virgil.....We could start a Rust and Weathering forum.

MikeMC, I don't know what old Doctor Cranky has done to deserve such passionate attacks or ire when all I am trying to do is have a civil and constructive discussion.

A couple of these folks keep following my posts (reminds me of the remora fish) and I wonder why they just don't exercise one of the most useful tools on this forum: IGNORE.

I've said this countless times to several of these individuals: If you don't like the channel, change it. Doctor Cranky's not trying force you to either build his way or force you to like what he likes.

Your personal attacks are not really going to stop Doctor Cranky and EYEGORE from having some fun and exercising their right to participate in their favorite hobby.

Do yourselves a favor, please, and put Doctor Cranky on IGNORE. By doing this, he will not bother you ever again, promise.

Also, I refuse to lock down this topic just because a few of these bottom feeders are ruining the discussion.

I leave that decision to the Admin who are very well aware of these folks who don't really contribute much, but are a constant source of conflicts, show-downs, AND more personal attacks.

Edited by Dr. Cranky

Have we solved anything here? Now it has become pick on people time . I have great idea just lock this thread.

James, your point is well taken, and you are right, we probably have discussed the issue to death, but I'm a bit concerned about these mercenary rascals who feel like they can just jump in and start trouble any time they like..

It sounds like some of them have been given the choice of not tuning in but they continue to pester those of us trying to have a legitimate conversation. I think Admin knows what they need to do.

It's obvious to me (as I am sure it is to you too) that part of their tactic is to irritate and cause trouble so that people end up locking their topics.

Edited by Dr. Cranky

Actually, no one with authority has told Dr. Cranky "No". Gregg runs the board and I haven't seen any post where he said that a rusty section would not be done. Until Gregg says it, Dr. Cranky has a right to ask for it, doesn't he? I know Harry is a moderator, but I think even he will admit he doesn't have that authority. Just saying...

What's with all the hostility?

Last I checked we all had a right to be here. Did something change overnight?

I have noticed a lot of negativity towards Virgil from a lot of sources (and not just this thread mind you).... for what?

One of you mentioned his persona to be false and overdone like WWE wrestlers are... i'd like to know how? Virgil, along with quite a few other people, enjoy building things like this. How does making a 'brand name' make him a bad guy? He has a following. What he does warrants the brand name.

I chalk -some- of this negativity up to envy. But why be envious? Virgil is highly talented and shares his knowledge and experience freely. And for those that want a more in depth guide, he wrote one! He does a lot for this hobby.

Stop the senseless attacks... they only serve to make the attacker seem shortsighted and stubborn.

Although Virgil is a friend, I look up to him-

And I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Arguing about techniques and build styles and finishes is kind of like arguing about Apple or PC.

It gets nowhere because there are benefits and drawbacks to all of it

It all depends on personal taste.

Mike P, thank you for the support. Gregg chimed in at the beginning of this thread briefly, and I think what he recognized was a legitimate thread about a legitimate question, which as a "plea" to start a discussion on the possibility of having a RUST/WEATHER section.

At no time was the question put as a demand. Again, my original intent was simply to get us talking about impending (positive and otherwise) changes that this forum can use, which is why Harry also jumped in with his suggested revisions.

It's not ME trying to shove MY agenda down your throats. I treat you all as adults with the same respect you treat me, and that, my friend, is the beginning of a civil discourse on any topic or issue.

Best, DC

Ok, this is now locked.

What started out as a legitimate suggestion somehow turned into a Cranky-bashing.

I have no idea why a certain few of you are so intent on making sure we all know how much you dislike Virgil and/or his building style. The amount of hostility and pettiness from a few of you towards him is really unbelievable.

Don't like him? Don't like his building style? That's fine! Nobody ever held a gun to your heads and forced you to to look at any of his posts. If you are so bothered by him and his work, if you think he posts too much... whatever...why not just ignore him instead of acting like babies with the useless trash talk?

I think a few of you guys are truly in need of an attitude adjustment. Trying to hold a rational discussion with a few of you is apparently impossible.

As a final two cents on the original subject for this thread, yes, I have wanted to add a Rust/Weathered section for a long long long time.

I think Jairus and I talked about that in the beginning.

I am ashamed of a lot of the replies, comments, and innuendoes that were slung here over the past day or so.