Model Cars Magazine Forum

1-8 scale 69 camaro pro mod (mike hill's car)

comp1839

IT HAS ARRIVED!!!!!!!!!!

the long wait is over. the '69 camaro pro mod body has finally arrived!!!! i first want to thank tim / TDR and dan palatnik for their efforts in making this dream come to reality. THE BODY IS AWESOME! it came out exactly as expected. here are the pics.

001-3.jpg

003.jpg

006.jpg

013.jpg

010-3.jpg

even the lips are present for truly flush mounted windows.

015.jpg

hope enjoy!!

This is going to be BADASS Dave! The body looks Geat, going to be a other master piece.

Dave... thanks for being very pro active about getting this body done and for us to be able to have printed in 1/16 scale is just awesome. To me it doesnt sound like its too much prep work for the body. the end result is that you will get a more accurate and better finish this way. I really would like to get one as well. I have a bunch of parts coming from TDR/shapeways and can't wait to have them in hand to play with.

for me, (please note: i said FOR ME your circumstances may change the perception) a little time sanding / prepping the surface to make it smooth is more than offset by all the other time consuming things that need to be done when you buy a resin one piece body. (i am not slamming the resin industry here) facts are facts. also, since no 1:8 scale pro mod bodies existed until now. my choices were what you might call "limited".

Dave thanks so much for your responce , and I totally agree with you about the time and effort it may take to get this right as compared to a one piece resin body. I asked the question so that those who are looking into getting one of these bodys (like myself) know exactly what they will be getting into. As with any great innovation theres always the footwork (or in this case body work) to make it exactly what you need it to be. I for one am greatful to you and TDR for making this all possible as I plan to make my next Promod a 1/8 scale and this will make it that much more reachable for alot of us who held back because of limited resources. Again Thank you Dave I applaud you my friend because you have been instramental in a huge leap in the modeling industry. Keep up the good work!

I would take that sanding and priming any day to get it smooth, i have so much grinding to do on my resin body to get it thined out in certain areas to look right to my liking. (still a nice piece regardless) Dave what thickness is the body? Don't remember seeing you posting that.

• 3 weeks later...

do you know what kind of printer they used for this?

That is a great question Dom. One I can not answer though, sorry. :(

I have several parts now from Tim, made by Shapeways, and I can say, they are SUPER !

I'll be ordering more soon, so next time I email them (Shapeways) I will ask what type/brand of printer they use..I'd like to know too. :) (not that I'll ever afford one.... :lol: )

Dave, having just talked with Tim the last couple of nights, he had some good news which may set a few hearts racing......

He has uploaded ALL the info to his site, TDR Innovations, in ALL scales. :blink:Right down to the little tiny tackers...1/43.....Who wants to be first with a detailed build on that. ;)

Unfortunately, Shapeways are experiencing delays in uploads (?) so they don't show up on there yet.

I can see this helping out a LOT of people....a lot of 1/24 and 1/25 guys will surely jump on these, hey Tyrone. :)

Can't wait to get an order in for a 1/12 version now.... :wub: Oh, and them maybe step up to 1/8. :P

Early - mid March is what Tim is hoping for, regarding an expected availabilty date....Get ready guys........

Thanks. Reason being I work in that industry, actually I work on rapid prototyping machines. I too use ours to make parts, which is why I was curious because the quality looks awesome from the pics. It looks more like SLA than printing, but if it is I'd be interested in knowing what it was made on. And some day all will be able to afford them, because the price point on them drops every few years.

Edited by Dom87SS

The video does show part of the process needed to get where they got, I just hate the fact how they mask all the work needed to do so. Zcorp is the last place you would want to look to have any small parts or anything with a reasonable tolerance made. Show parts, architecture, and some hand held models at best are what you could get from that machine.

Hey Boys the body is availible for purchase at the TDR/Shapeways site. https://sites.google.com/site/tdrinnovations/ now the 1/16th scale body is pricey at about $169.00 before shipping and if youre planning on getting the 1/8th scale body you better have your pennys saved up cause that baby aint cheap. I'll let you see that one for yourself .....I'll be buying the 1/16th later this week.

The video does show part of the process needed to get where they got, I just hate the fact how they mask all the work needed to do so. Zcorp is the last place you would want to look to have any small parts or anything with a reasonable tolerance made. Show parts, architecture, and some hand held models at best are what you could get from that machine.

The video was only to show the process not to suggest a place of purchase. the best place I have seen to purchase would have to be from the TDR team.