Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Studebaker Avanti

A few comments and observations regarding the kit I just picked up.

1) Both of the optional front nerf bars/bumperettes and the front bumper have obvious sink marks, the rear bumper has some really rough/poor chrome on the top edge, and the blower intake manifold is missing the mounting pins for both superchargers.

2) The chassis/floorpan piece has a pretty good twist, but it appear to be the only twisted/warped part. I see nothing short shot.

3) This kit still has some crisp details for being 40+ years old, not to mentioned reissued five times or so? Based on the appearance of the parts, the tooling appears to have held up well. If you're familiar with and a fan of '60s AMT kits, this one will put a smile on your face.

4) The included Avanti booklet is very well done, with plenty of vintage photos from the car's press debut and other events. Including the Studebaker National Museum card/flyer was a nice touch, too.

5) The front seats DO appear to be underscaled, as do the rear seats, but they seem to be true to the 1:1 car's seats.

6) The box is what I would call "extra strong" with double thickness sides, and the box art is definitely retro, but a bit restrained and slightly different from the original Trophy Series box.

7) The doors fit very nicely into the body shell, and there's a hint of a latch at the rear jamb/interior door panel edge, so the door stays closed.

8) All four sets of wheels are nicely molded, with no sink marks.

9) Woo-hoo, no metal axle rod passing through the engine block!

that avanti body has always looked either too long or too narrow or both to me. and those "opening" doors dont help matters at all. ive got a copy of the prestige kit and one of the blue printer version and the only thing i have ever coveted from them is that dual supercharger set up on the motor. the rest seems like total junk to me.

Here's the Avanti next to an original 1/25 AMT '66 Ford Mustang:

1:1 Car Dimensions:

Avanti -

Weight 3095.3 lbs

Length / Width / Height 192.4 in / 70.4 in / 53.9 in

Wheelbase 109 in

65 Mustang -

Weight 2,562 lbs

Length / Width / Height 181.6 in/ 68.2 in/ 51.1 in

Wheelbase: 108 inches

I also have the original Aurora Avanti and can compare the two if there is interest?

Edited by Exotics_Builder

that avanti body has always looked either too long or too narrow or both to me. and those "opening" doors dont help matters at all. ive got a copy of the prestige kit and one of the blue printer version and the only thing i have ever coveted from them is that dual supercharger set up on the motor. the rest seems like total junk to me.

It is a highly stylized car. No doubt. Leowy was an artist. And as such I figure for most people it is a love it or hate it situation.

I'd also like to get the reissue.......but you guys know that I also have to open up the trunk as well! :D

Only thing is........those hinges for the trunk are mighty tricky! They're not the typical gooseneck hinge, but more of the scissor type seen in 1:1 hoods and such. :blink:

Regarding this kit's tires, below I have posted a pic of the same Goodyear Blue Streak Stock car tires as found in previously-issued AMT and MPC kits. There has always been a mystery to me regarding these tires. My photo shows Tire A on the left, with a 1" outside tire diameter and a 11/32" tire tread width.

Tire B on the right side of the photo has the exact same sidewall lettering and tread-pattern, but has a overall different size to it; a larger 1-1/16" outside tire diameter and a narrower 9/32" tread width.

Why would the exact same tire have been issued in two distinctly different sizes?

And, what are the overall dimensions of the Blue Streak tires found inside this Avanti kit?

(In the previously-posted Avanti kit photos, the Blue Streak tires look even narrower than the "skinny" Blue Streak Tire B that I have)!

IMG_0385sml.jpg

Rob: That is my theory, too, as these tires came out of my parts box, so I cannot confirm what kit(s) they originally came from, (AMT or MPC). I'm hoping the Avanti kit's tires match "Tire Size A" in my photo, as I've been looking for just one of these, "smaller & wider" Blue Streak tires for a long time now. I've got a project going that has 3 of the "A" tires, but needs a fourth to be completed!

I'd like to see some pics of that kit, and some comparison shot of it next to the AMT kit.

Here are some photos of the Aurora and AMT Avanti. The Aurora is the tan plastic. The Aurora has more pieces to the body and does allow an opening trunk (although Mr. Obsessive would decry the inaccuracy of the hinges). There are also no custom pieces for the Aurora kit.

They look close, but I did not do any measurements. The seats (as previously speculated) are much smaller than they should be. Compare the AMT to the Aurora seat. The Aurora package shelf is separate, but does sport, as does the AMT, the bump for the fuel tank filler.

DSCF1891.jpg

DSCF1892.jpg

DSCF1893.jpg

DSCF1894.jpg

DSCF1895.jpg

DSCF1896.jpg

DSCF1897.jpg

A photo of a real interior show that the seats of both are not quite right:

4367544604_2f68103554_z.jpg

My plan for the Avanti was to a pro-touring version with modern Chevy LS gear and a modified interior. But, if you were doing a replica stock, some work would be required or just let it be for the AMT.

HTH,

Gerry

And, what are the overall dimensions of the Blue Streak tires found inside this Avanti kit?

They measure .322" (~21/64") across the tread (tread width) and have an O.D. of 1.075" (~1-1/16") with maybe a .005" variance between the four I have.

Thanks for taking and posting those pics, Gerry. :)

Hmmmm, I would still take the AMT over the Aurora version. The whole body seems "off" to me, especially the rear quarter window shape and the rear fenders. It's almost like the folks at Aurora did the body from memory, and not actual blueprints that would yield better proportions. :blink:

Hmmmm, I would still take the AMT over the Aurora version. The whole body seems "off" to me, especially the rear quarter window shape and the rear fenders. It's almost like the folks at Aurora did the body from memory, and not actual blueprints that would yield better proportions. :blink:

I agree. I am looking at using the AMT kit as my base. And, I am debating about opening the trunk, but may skip it. The Revell 2010 Camaro SS is contribuiting engine, drive train and, perhaps, some interior pieces.

I gotta agree with Bill. The whole car goes to pot after the B-Pillar and over all kinda reminds me of that yellow "Mingni" that was shown on Top Gear earlier this year.

Don't forget Aurora's 62 Ferrari GTO that became a Monogram then RoG that was so off. I tend to agree with those who stated that it started out as a 250 GT that was converted mid-design