Model Cars Magazine Forum

'50's era dragster from the Double Dragster kit

2002p51

With all the excitement and talk about AMT's newly re-issued Double Dragster kit I thought I would throw this one up here just for fun.

drag01-vi.jpg

I built this quite a few years ago from the Blueprinter version.

It's mostly out-of-the-box with the exception of the Olds engine from Revell. The intake is modified from the one intended for the Chrysler in the Double Dragster which is also where I got the eight carbs. The headers are from some unknown funny car kit.

The plate above the carbs is a flash guard that was an NHRA requirement on all open carburetors. It's just made out of some styrene sheet.

I've still got a couple of those Blueprinter kits so I haven't been motivated to shell out the bucks for one of the new kits. Maybe once the cardboard box version is out. :D

Drew, do yuo have a close-up shot of the engine? I'd like to get a better look at that flash guard.

No, I don't. It's simple though it's just a piece of plain sheet styrene. It needs to cover the top of the carbs and a little down the front and back. The four rods holding it up are the air cleaner studs. They're just small bits of wire in the center of the carbs.

NHRA required all open carbureted engines to have a flash guard like this to keep the flames from a backfire getting out of control.