Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pinstriping How to topic

Lownslow

NOTE TO MODERATORS: If youre gonna merge topics put more effort into it as opposed to scrambling posts.

for those that missed it heres the link for the Pinstriping tutorial

http://s1065.beta.photobucket.com/user/Lownslow302/library/Pinstriping%20How%20to

found that a theres a really neat tool that can do some really nice thin pinstripes, took some time to get the hang of it but im getting better at it. it only works with enamels. ill post what i use and some tips to keep you from wrecking your paintjobs.

first attempt

oC30p.jpg

got better as i practiced

FVeRM.jpg

did a car

8BCSW.jpg

more practice with 2 tones

Fi6lD.jpg

first attempt at straightlining

1bGn4.jpg

v2xwP.jpg

Edited by Lownslow

Frank, Great job. Yeah practice makes it perfect. Here are some patterns for you. I got these at a benefit auction a couple weeks ago. The guy uses plexiglas scrap that he paints then practices on it. The top piece is half a MC tank he bought, and restored. Of course these were with a brush, but neat designs,

Misc001-1.jpg

Edited by Mercman

I give you major credit for how good you're doing with these. I first used those in drafting class in the 60's and never got that good. There are how long lasting engineering drawings were created since the 1800's! You can sure draw straight even lines with them. I needed an eraser too much in the drafting I did to be using ink. :lol:

I can imaging what we'll be seeing from you in addition to your amazing paint abilities now!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like he is using a "ruling pen" used to ink in the straight lines around the border of the engineering drawing and its title block. It also appears that he is getting the paint thin enough that it flows through the ruling pen making a consistent line. Experience pinstriping with a brush says that if you get the striping material too thin it will spread out to make a wider line which will not be the same width or weight as it is wicked out to the surrounding painted finish. I have attempted to "micro-stripe" using a fine ink pen the kind made by Speedball, JB Hunt with some success in the past. Make sure that you use an extremely light hand on the pen otherwise you will dig right into the paint causing the striping paint to flow into the scratch. Long straight lines take the highest degree of skill to pull.

What I finally ended up using was a trimmed watercolor type "Rigger" brush, the type brush used by watercolor painters for fine lines and ships rigging, hence the name rigger. A 2/0 or 3/0 rigger brush will still need some trimming from the ferrule end of the brush. While the brush will produce the most consistent line, the ink pen will take the least amount of practice and skill.

Also if you are going to use a clearcoat over the stripes you can get away using a waterbased paint acrylic or even a poster type ink. Enamel while it is the paint used by many stripers can be clear coated requires light mist coats to keep it from spreading or you can leave the striping right on the topcoat without clearcoat.

• 1 month later...

It is late on a weekend, not to be critical,and I don't know what exactly I am looking at. I see pinstripes gradually getting better and a box of tools? I spent 6 hours during the latest snow storm laying out tape for the pinstripes on a 71 Boss 351 mustang-on one side! It would really help me out if you ncould have someone else photograph you using the tools in the box? Thanks, Ray