Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 oldsmobile custom finished! 02/1/2013

streetmachine11

I'm going to follow this one very closely! I like the Chop Top idea, because when this kind of car is lowered, it looks much better when there's not too much head clearance. Your Chop looks great, just low enough, but not too low. Was it hard to chop? I've chopped one '49 Mercury by AMT and that wasn't very simple-not planning to do that kind of job again, but with this car I might have to do it though. Your proves that it looks great when chopped, even if it's still in rough stages.

ok time for an update. the rear pillar was ground out to make a new pannel so the fillwork is minimal. also since the doors and trunk will be opened, it will look just as nice on the inside.

20121013_093632.jpg

20121013_093643.jpg

and the replacement pannels in

20121013_222834.jpg

the b pillars will be put back on once the doors are cut open. and here are the wheels with the new ride height.

20121013_222834.jpg

20121013_222853.jpg

20121013_222943.jpg

comments welcome and

thanks for watching :-)

jason

I'm going to follow this one very closely! I like the Chop Top idea, because when this kind of car is lowered, it looks much better when there's not too much head clearance. Your Chop looks great, just low enough, but not too low. Was it hard to chop? I've chopped one '49 Mercury by AMT and that wasn't very simple-not planning to do that kind of job again, but with this car I might have to do it though. Your proves that it looks great when chopped, even if it's still in rough stages.

niko, i agree with you once their in the weeds, the top looks too tall lol. since the roof was cut and moved forward it was really easy to work with. taking the window frame out before the chop it allowed it to lay flat giving it that fastback look and also the glass wont need modification it just falls into place. this is acctually my first chop top so only time will tell how it turns out :-D

thanks for watching!

jason

• 2 weeks later...