Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Ford roadster gluebomb rework. April 26: back on track

Ace-Garageguy

• 1 month later...

Fabulous work. Love how the rear wheel is set in the wheelwell so the full body character line is visible in a sideview.

Have you considered filing the bottom edge of the hood louvers at an angle to match the bottom of the hood side? I realize this might be visually distracting with the drag link running down the side of the hood and the split wishbone angle.It's nice to keep these lines all fairly parallel. Just a thought.

Your work is outstanding,keep the eye-candy coming!

Edited by doggie427

Again, thanks to everyone for the interest, comments and kind words.

Well then....decided to go back into it and do the quick-change rear end, and a rolled-rear-pan to go with it....all very period, high-end hot rod. The rear of the AMT body shell isn't exactly accurate, so I cut it off where the real '32 shell ends, and removed some material from my basis for the pan....

DSCN6648.jpg

With it stuck to the car, I'm trying another new experimental technique. Using closed-cell urethane foam blocks glued in place to shape the rounded corners.....

DSCN6650.jpg

Getting there. Will probably saturate the foam with epoxy before finish-shaping and bondo. I also noticed a fit-and-square issue with the decklid, so that's getting corrected.

DSCN6673.jpg

And on the the QC. This is all the stuff to do the quick-change swap....Existing '32 frame with a '40 rear end and spring on right, '28-'31 model A frame in the center, with an AMT '32 Vicky or Phaeton rear end, top; the QC and some widened axle-bells from the AMT Fiat double-dragster kit; and a model T rear spring from a vintage Revell roadster parts-pack.

DSCN6647.jpg

Last shot shows the way the model A rear crossmember will clear the QC, but obviously the one I fabbed to use the '40 diff won't. Stay tuned...........

DSCN6663.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Norm Weber at Replicas and Minitures co. of Maryland makes a great 32 ford chass that you can fit an A Model suspension to with a transveres rear spring. First thing you should do when building it is to fit the floor board, as the chassis is easy to warp if you don't

I have used 6 of these chassis, and the quality and accurace are both the best there is!

Tom, I appreciate the info. I've heard a lot of good things about Norm's parts, and I'll certainly give that frame a try sometime. In the meantime, I have a lot of old AMT '32 frames, and a lot of Model A frames and crossmembers, so I'll keep on building them like I do the real ones. I can get exactly the stance I want every time. Definitely more work, but it makes every one that much different too.

Got a little more done...

This is the wishbone from the AMT rear end separated from the axle. It's necessary to use the '32 wishbone to fit between the frame rails. (If the wishbones are 'split', longer ones can be used, but that's not the look I'm going for on this car.) Again, this is very similar to building a 1:1. I've also sprayed some primer on the Halibrand center section after removing a little mold flash. The original driveshaft didn't have the correct taper on the forward end, so I've removed it and turned a new one from styrene, and made up a bolt-flange to attach it to the center section.

DSCN6657.jpg

I also used to old Dremel 'lathe' to turn a cup for the forward universal on the driveshaft. After the unit is back in the chassis, I'll determine the right length to mate with the trans.

DSCN6656.jpg

Hal You Build real Hot Rods? I grew up building AV8s and Dueces at Curtis Speed and Hot Rod shop, we would often use a rear cross member/spring perch from an old A model frame that wasn't worth using for any thing else on our Deuce frames. Then Clyde started manufacturing His own Frames and Crossmembers to sell to other people.

l

Not sure how I missed this one, but I think this is the best use of that old ill-proportioned body I've ever seen. You've brought everything together to make it work for you rather than against you. Very cool! I'll definitely be watching this one.

And that GeeBee, holy ###### now that I know it's mislabeled I have got to get one. Nothing better than a prop plane and a real hot rod sitting together.

So, here's the Model A rear crossmember cut out of the model A chassis, just like real.....The marks are where it will be trimmed to fit between the '32 rails.

DSCN6680.jpg

The reason the rear suspension complete with spring had to be built-up first is that it's ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL to know that the axle centerline and the ride height are the same as on the mockup when you glue in the crossmember, if you want to maintain the exact stance. I do, as it's a large part of the character of the car. I've seen well-respected pros get this wrong on 1:1 cars, and it looks really stupid if you blow it.

DSCN6749.jpg

Because the Halibrand quick-change is a different shape than the '37 or '40 rear that came out, I had to make up new rear floors and a tunnel extension to clear everything. All that's left now of the original AMT frame is the rails.

DSCN6741.jpg

Here's the assembled unit happily installed in the car, with everything fitting right.

DSCN6750.jpg

Excellent work putting together the quick change rear and other necessary mods. All the mixing and matching feels like doing the real thing, doesn't it....

I went back and found mention of where the rear spring came from so I could make a mental note because it is actually a Model T spring and the nicest one in scale I've ever seen!

.... it is actually a Model T spring and the nicest one in scale I've ever seen!

Yup, my bad in calling it an 'A'. I specifically used the 'T' to avoid having to do even more mods necessary to use the excellent 'A' spring from the old Revell 1/25 '31 Woody kit (in order to get the rear end width I was after with the juice-brake backing plates). Good sharp eye, and thanks for bringing it to my attention. I will change the incorrect post so anyone reading it will get the right info.

Using the 'A' spring would have allowed putting the crossmember in a little higher between the rails, which I would have prefered, and the spring is a little stiffer, being (I THINK) 1/4 inch wider in 1:1, but there were other interference problems shaping up. I think the 'T' spring will give me just a hair more room to route the muffled part of the exhaust system.

I'll also finish up more correct-looking rear-axle spring hangers than the stuck-in tubes, but I'll leave them a little wrong for strength's sake.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Yup, my bad in calling it an 'A'. I specifically used the 'T' to avoid having to do even more mods necessary to use the excellent 'A' spring from the old Revell 1/25 '31 Woody kit (in order to get the rear end width I was after with the juice-brake backing plates). Good sharp eye, and thanks for bringing it to my attention. I will change the incorrect post so anyone reading it will get the right info.

Using the 'A' spring would have allowed putting the crossmember in a little higher between the rails, which I would have prefered, and the spring is a little stiffer, being (I THINK) 1/4 inch wider in 1:1, but there were other interference problems shaping up. I think the 'T' spring will give me just a hair more room to route the muffled part of the exhaust system.

I'll also finish up more correct-looking rear-axle spring hangers than the stuck-in tubes, but I'll leave them a little wrong for strength's sake.

Like you, I work on all of this old junk for a living so I can't help but notice every little detail, I'm programmed to. haha

• Like 1