Model Cars Magazine Forum

Getting back into building.

It's been at-least 5 or 6 years since I've built or even touched a model car. About half-way through last year, I was going to get back into it but complications with my 1:1 truck stopped that. I've been watching the site here and getting inspiration for something to build to get used to it again. I'm taking a break from my 1:1 truck for now and have been working on a few models that I started a long time ago. I was able to save most of my old paints and glue. Now that I have kinda gotten the hang of everything again, I am going to make an attempt at building a extremely modified truck. Usually I just built the models straight out of the box. I know I will be criticized for jumping directly into major modifications, but I want a challenge.

I am going to use the Monogram Ford F-250 Super Duty extended cab long bed pickup. I am going to form a fully custom frame for it to lay frame on bags. I am thinking about doing a chop top also. I don't want to use some crappy looking huge wheels and tires on it either, so I'm probably just going to use the stock tires unless I can find some decent ones. I am going to raise the bed floor to hide most of the bag equipment. I am thinking about doing a body drop too with custom interior pieces. Going to paint it flat black with some other color accents here and there.

I know I have allot of work ahead of me in this project, but I am fully willing and will learn anything I can to do this. Any tips/tricks are and will be appreciated.

John,

Welcome back to the hobby, be sure to look and ask questions here as you need to. There is a ton of information to learn and people are ready to help. Look around at some of the other builds similar to what you want to build and ask those members for guidance.

If you are like most of us, it won't be long before you have a couple of dozen new kits and 10 WIPs laying on your workbench!

John,

Welcome back to the hobby, be sure to look and ask questions here as you need to. There is a ton of information to learn and people are ready to help. Look around at some of the other builds similar to what you want to build and ask those members for guidance.

If you are like most of us, it won't be long before you have a couple of dozen new kits and 10 WIPs laying on your workbench!

Thanks man. I have browsed just about every thread that is even remotely close to what I am wanting to build and many that aren't even close. I still have about 4 kits that I need to finish, but I want to throw a little twist into them before I do and I need to think of what I want to do and this Ford is going to be my time filler for now.

Welcome back to the hobby John. You should stop by the Plastruct and Evergreen plastic websites and download their catalogs. i find them handy for planning scratch projects. Also find a good scale converter program/site. Grab some Proweld type liquid adhesive, regular model kinda sucks for because of the drying time. crank up some tunes and dig in.

Welcome back to the hobby John. You should stop by the Plastruct and Evergreen plastic websites and download their catalogs. i find them handy for planning scratch projects. Also find a good scale converter program/site. Grab some Proweld type liquid adhesive, regular model kinda sucks for because of the drying time. crank up some tunes and dig in.

Yeah. I plan on it later when I get done working outside. I have allot of things I need to do. I am going to order the model on monday afternoon.

It's like riding a bicycle. :) It all comes back to you. I definitely recommend reading the tips and tricks and Q&A sections. I learned stuff that I would have never thought of before. :)

I know. I am remembering allot of tricks that I am reading here that I knew before.

Well. We are in the process of moving right now also and while going through my closet, I found a box of old(ish) models that my uncle gave me 4 or 5 years ago. I always wanted to build them, just never got around to it. I was going through the box and it seems most of the models are AMT, but all of the parts are mixed up and it would be more effort than it is worth to try and figure out what parts got to each car, so I am just going to throw all of it into a better box and now I have all kinds of parts. I may use the bodys in later projects or chop them up and use pieces as I'm customizing different projects. This makes me feel better now, because I thought I was going to have to start my parts collection over again, but now I have a good base to start with again.

When I decided to get back into the hobby 24 years ago, my goal was to become a good enough modeler to do justice to the two Xerox paper boxes worth of neat kits I had bought over the years. Maybe 16 Mopar kits. Long story short, I joined a club and improved my skills dramatically. And after 24 years of experience, I imagine I could do those kits justice, but to date I haven't touched even one of them!