Model Cars Magazine Forum

The GT race car CBP(now open)

martinfan5

:lol: Jonathan :lol: It was an extra expense, but always have to get two (Something gets ruined for sure)... These were nearly half price compared to all the other sellers (That is why I had to jump on them).

AND if you guys like group modeling I'm pretty sure one of my future builds is the Xanavi Nismo GTR.

The Simil R kit is extremely basic, the one thing I dont like is the body being a two part.

photo-1_zpsd72977b1.jpg

Edited by BMX Addicts

Change of plans over here...

Did some sanding and fitting to the Pescarolo but the kit will require the use of putty on several body parts to make them fit correctly (The body is made out of nine different parts to make a unibody and only two of them align correctly); never been able to use the putty successfully (Maybe I just dont know how to use it), so I'm still debating if I should go back to the original plan of building the NSX (Which seems to have the same decal issue of the Supra), or just skip these and move onto something a bit less complicated... Suggestions?

Juan, you and I are in same boat. My confidence level has gone WAY down after simple 911 kicked my butt. I have several Tamiya kits I'm thinking about. Looking at Mobil 1 NSX, Canon 956, and WRX Rally of Britain cars. May be easy way out on several of them since they don't need much if any body paint; all are molded in the color they are to be painted. There are some niggling details, and a metric ton of decals to appy to get them to look good. I've also got Revell Texaco Porsche GT1 that I have body in paint but nothing else done.

Back to your question. What do you have in your stash? An easier to decal Supra? That JTCC NSX?

Back to your question. What do you have in your stash? An easier to decal Supra? That JTCC NSX?

I don't have any GT cars complete in my stash other than the two NSX kits, but I have read in other forums and the decals are a major deal!!! (For my skill level at least)...

The SimilR kit is extremely basic, it would probably take me a week to complete "IF" proper doses of caffeine are provided IOI... But the fact that there are so many small pieces to attach at level with the main body (That dont seem to fit or at least match) makes me feel like I will end up ruining them both. So I rather wait for a near future when I have gotten potty trained.

Don't get discouraged Oscar, it may be true some cars are more difficult than others, but at the end of the day, is a necessary process to learn the required skill no?

IMG_0234_zpsc34fdb35.jpg

Jonathan this is A W E S O M E ! ! ! ! !

Juan - the pics would be great, thanks! :)

Tomo, I will take some photos tomorrow and PM them to you.

Edited by BMX Addicts

Don't get discouraged Oscar, it may be true some cars are more difficult than others, but at the end of the day, is a necessary process to learn the required skill no?

The problem was it was a simple kit. Not more than 50 parts. I think it was more so trying to smoothly paint the exterior trim than anything else. I'l figure something out.

:P Oscar :P ... Sounds like the Renault 5 Turbo experience.

This is as close as I could get it to fit... Is heavy on glue and not sanded yet; I spent a few days dreaming about this car, the least I can do now is try no?

photo-2_zps76a9ac07.jpg

photo-3_zpsf911b259.jpg

Will let it dry overnight and get on the pads tomorrow

Edited by BMX Addicts

Yes, go for it, you never know tell you try, whats the worse that can happen?, you have two, so use one to practice on?

I took the plastic wrap of the Minolta box, and opened it up, I thought that was a good start :lol: , nothing show, have not started yet, but took a few pics of the body

IMG_0272_zpsd3aecd86.jpg

IMG_0279_zpsa9d005e5.jpg

Very cool Jonathan, Is amazing how Tamiya kits look so nice right out of the box, that kit looks like is ready for primer (I could've sworn I had already posted this sentence IOI).

A bit of a long post since the site has been off for most of the day:

I have decided to change my name to either "Sander Sanderson" or "Ritchie Polisher" :lol: and YES my arm hurts!!!.

photo-4_zpse7f7bca3.jpg

The very next step kind of freaked me out just by looking at it

photo-5_zps383fe245.jpg

And I honestly have to say SimilR really made a mistake making these Slats in photo etch instead of regular plastic... I know they are not properly installed but they looked "REALLY" bad!!! (PLUS they are supposed to be in the same color of the body duh!).

photo-6_zpse11d42b6.jpg

So decided to just take them off and spent an additional 45 minutes sanding out the cyanoacrylate glue residue (I figured "anything" -even leaving a hole- would look better).

photo-7_zps30d06c98.jpg

Primed it...

photo-8_zps9f9adfee.jpg

AND Painted it...

photo-9_zps44c58118.jpg

Edited by BMX Addicts

Hmmmm I have a Tamiya 911 GT2 kit in the basement but it is missing the rims and tires. Cant find a set for nothing!

Would love to join this, anyone know where I could find some rims and tires?

Ebay is a great a place to get wheels, I am sure you can find something you can use, I would search using Aoshima wheels, Fujimi wheels, those will bring a lot of results

Ok, speaking of the engine, started working on it, here it is after some Alcald Aluminum

IMG_0007_zps4385f6b6.jpg

IMG_0008_zps04d7780a.jpg

and painted the chassis black , yes, you are seeing white, no, didnt forget to paint those areas :lol: , it says in the instruction book to paint those white, I am trying to find pics that will confirm that, so for now

IMG_0003_zps70ec13f1.jpg

And doing some work on the interior , not much has been done, just some black paint

IMG_0005_zps4cc308a9.jpg

and yes, its hard to tell, but the body is in white primer, now its time to go over it and make sure there are no mold or seem lines

IMG_0001_zps37adb104.jpg

Since the forum was having a bit of a glitch yesterday I decided to knuckle down and get some work done on this thing. Since the body is in primer at the school and I won't get painting it Calsonic blue until next Wednesday, I've plenty of time to work on making the best interior I can... Surely I should be using the long weekend to revise for my History exam but hey who cares ;)

It's now a rolling chassis...

8812113952_428f5011ae_b.jpg

8812113828_980e8be285_b.jpg

8812114086_6813ec49fd_b.jpg

Also, this is the first time Kevlar decals have worked perfectly for me, only took over a year! Lots of set sol was used, and I've decided if you cut it into 3 sections (sides, middle), it's far easier to do.

8812114200_1fbbd38cdd_b.jpg

So currently, I'm working on this center console.

8812114320_6583274403_b.jpg

8801533883_fa701486fd_b.jpg

8801535977_5395f8af6e_b.jpg

Also this kit came with two wheels (you can see which I'm using). If there's one thing I love to have, it's steering wheels! :)
8801536075_2238e96459_b.jpg

Wow Tomo, that is really looking great!

You are getting better and better each model you do.

I do enjoy seeing the progress on all of these builds.

Thanks for the tip Jonathan, I'll look for wheels today before work.

Edited by Kennyboy

Jonathan, the engine in alcald aluminium looks awesome.... Tomo the Nissan is coming along great (At this rate you'll have a hand full by the end of the year). Way to go guys!!! B)

Ken I have a set of wheels (No tire decals), it came off an Opel Astra... If you want it you can have it for whatever you feel is fair.

photo-7_zps30323bfc.jpg

I also have a few extra kits that were left over from previous builds, they are all open box but complete and in perfect shape in case someone likes to jump into GT mode (Please feel free to PM if interested).

photo-6_zps874f18b0.jpg

(Sorry moderator, didn't mean for this to sound like a "for sale" offering"... Just trying to help).

Edited by BMX Addicts

Polished out.... It looks a whole lot better in person.

photo-10_zpsbf3a6eff.jpg

I know is not much but the decals on this thing are kind of like in the Supra, lots of bumps and just this one took me over 15 minutes to install. Is a bit off center and may need some more setter to get a couple little creases out but I FINALLY DID IT!!!).

photo-11_zps5c74db1f.jpg