Model Cars Magazine Forum

2014 Cannonball Run CBP

Nick Winter

Yep the interior isn't 100% like it was on the '79 Skyhawk, but I think the basic shapes are really close. Some details, like cauges, radio etc are different though... But those are of course modified for the Cannonball Racer. ;)

Charger Daytonas didn't have six lug nuts, but I guess most Stock Cars from that era had. And my plan was that the suspension would be built using those old Stock Cars as a quide to make it handle well on the high ways at high speed. :D

Here are a couple of pics as I finished the fuel lines in the engine bay. I still need to run a line from Fuel Pressure Regulator to the fuel tank but that should be an easy job to do. I added some minor paint touch ups and now I'm ready to move on working with the carburetor linkages... One thing that has never been one of my favorites...

25d487c4-82af-45e5-9aa1-19586e03fb4e.jpg

c1177ee1-d690-47c3-9329-3946ce41f486.jpg

4a23717c-6c70-4464-8c03-a3bd36fc6b53.jpg

Thanks Bill! I agree that the wheels turned out very nice and lots of credit belongs to Plastic Performance Products. They were so great! Your paint job looks fantastic too. Gloss Black is really hard to paint, but looks like you did it just right. Also black body with a red interior looks always good.

Here's a little update too. I found an air cleaner from my parts box and it looked good otherwise, but it was hollow from the underside. Because of that it didn't sit very well on top of the carburetors, so I fabricated a bottom-part for it from sheet styrene. Before that I stripped the chrome plating away though, as it will need to be painted Chrome Silver.

e4a4a2f3-ae4b-42c9-adae-0ffdae38d1f2.jpg
5c1ef757-2cdd-406d-96ad-5ebd422587a4.jpg

The next thing was to add valve stems to the wheels. I drilled holes for them and then I used small bits of welding wire from MIG welding machine to create the valve stems. They were painted silver. Then I glued the wheels and tires together and installed those Firestone decals on place. The finished wheel & tire set looks pretty good I think.

af248a5f-e4a9-43bd-b453-0e59813f9c54.jpg

Once the wheels and tires were finished, I decided to put the whole thing on four wheels. Both, the front and rear wheels fit nicely on place and they all touch the ground, too. :D

f5058c42-5166-467b-9a97-04813d3ac1b4.jpg

5a3f04ed-73b7-4264-b6e0-122e9badf4e4.jpg

04d921e4-388e-4a8b-ac41-3cf9c0570906.jpg

ec2051f8-16d1-4040-8389-89ca37ae36f7.jpg

I decided to test fit how the body and chassis look together...

4d3577ad-51ee-449c-a516-69df1cb9608b.jpg

0267e02d-e44c-4f7f-856b-b7d153639c01.jpg

I got my Express Truck painted and my plug wires done, all sixteen of them. Still have a lot to finish ,hope it makes it to the starting line. The Rat Mad is done, but it just isn't something I would think could make a cross country race. I will only be entering one, but I am not sure which one it will be?

Thanks Niko. Doyusha claim the body is a '75 which is immaterial as far as the interior is concerned as its from the same '91 Firebird that donated the chassis. I had to lengthen it by 6mm to get it to fit the body. The extension is hidden by the fuel cell and flocking.

The Doyusha kit is one of those Japanese "toy" kits designed for an electric motor. They put the batteries under the interior tub which means its really really shallow.

I'm pleased it looks like the real thing. Lucky though.

Doughnuts may attract cops but they will also placate them...

It's sitting on it's wheels now. Just the side pipes to build and the final details to add.

Wagon looks great Matt.

Thanks Fred your Skyhawk looks great.

Thanks Fellows! Looks like I'm making good progress with the Charger Daytona even though this update is not as large as I hoped. I thought about what it takes to finish this on time and when I start polishing the body on Wednesday I should be able to have this thing finished on Sunday morning which means that I still have time to take good pics of it before the race starts...

I started working with the firewall. It's not the best part in the kit, but anyway I think I'll be using it as it's not the worst either. The brake master cylinder was really horrible though, as seen on the picture below (Step 1). I cut it away (Step 2) and left that power brake booster which doesn't look like 1:1 part either, but still it's much closer to the real deal than that piece that was trying to be brake master cylinder. Step 3 shows painted firewall. My new brake master cylinder will be from AMT '66 Nova.

2db69629-a016-4502-8355-4be7f393002b.jpg

I also detailed the battery. Battery Cables are from Scale Dreams, those photo etch parts are from Detail Master and the mount is scratchbuilt. A bit of excitement was with painting those yellow parts as my paint was some leftover from my dad's previos modeling times from the '80s. It worked really nicely though.

Uh oh looks like the picture shows that orange paint is visible through the black on that inner fender. I just checked and it's not visible in person.

cd8a6634-cbb8-4007-8fd7-a6c8413217f2.jpg

The radiator wall was painted gloss black and aluminum radiator got some silver on. I made that hose that goes to overflow tank (That is imagined to be on front side of the radiator wall which will be covered in finished model) from stretched sprue.

14edfd73-96b4-42fe-a2f0-eeedd9dc4e85.jpg

I also shot some Primer on the hood and air cleaner. The hood was already in Primer and looked good, but unfortunately it got dropped to floor and I had to spray a new coat on. Now it should be ready for paint, just like the rear spoiler. For the air cleaner I had to use red Primer as the grey ran out.

8f53498b-c66b-4e49-8dc5-42ebedee099f.jpg

9f7ac848-d7bf-4951-97c2-1eaf4db7f80f.jpg

There's some fantastic work going on here, I hope they make it to the start line, even if it does mean I have less chance of winning.

After last years failure at least I will get to the start this time as the Mustang is finished. :D

DSCF6323640x479_zps36ab28a7.jpg

DSCF6317640x480_zps0a4dd907.jpg

More pictures in the finished builds thread.

T-MINUS 8 days until deadline!!!! We have only four racers currently in the finished builds thread, here - http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=95573#

Get it done and get it posted!

Umm that post gave me some serious pressures to get it done... :lol:

Great job with the Mustang, Tim! It looks very good with that color and a smooth paint job. Really nice and clean work overall

Edited by W-409

Got the second color on the Torino. Came out pretty nice, I'm happy the separation line came out nice and crisp with no ragged edges or overspray. Masking is always a challenge. Both colors are Dupicolor from the can. I still need to clear coat.

PaintedBodyFront_zpsf1f57331.jpg

PaintedBodyRear_zps6ccd2fb5.jpg

I wanted gold wheels, but not bright gold, so I slowly mixed gunmetal until I got the color I wanted, then airbrushed. I might have gone a tad too dark but I'm still okay with it. I also sanded the raised letters off the rear tires. and added The Treatment wax to clean up scuffing so they didn't look so dirty.

The rims came with the kit but I couldn't use kit tires. Would you believe they were too fat to fit in the wheel wells. I guess AMT expects you to cut open the fenders and only use them for a dirt track version. These are parts box tires.

WheelsFinished_zpsfda97326.jpg

The dash came along great until I couldn't get the color and wash effect I wanted in the guage faces. I'm not gonna fight it so this is how they'll stay. Guage decals would have been an option but the faces have a fat knob right in the middle of the guage.

DashboardFinished_zps7f9dfe8d.jpg

Boy that's a smart looking Charger Matthew. Looks like a real party wagon too.

I just finished my interior tonight. Not nearly as much fun as the Charger's but I'm glad everything came out nice... aside from the guages of course, which look like kaka.

InteriorFinished_zps15249a48.jpg

InteriorFinished2_zps2b0d5afd.jpg

I wanted to add a custom graphic I'd designed and printed but I butchered it cutting it out and the Microscale decal sheet fell apart anyway. So I trimmed an old Cougar decal.

SideGraphic_zps6fd1f8e9.jpg

SideGraphic2_zps2bd18ac1.jpg

Thanks Fellows!

Tim: Yep, me too. :D Right now it looks like I'm making it to the finishing line, and if everything goes as planned, this will be finished on Sunday morning. Then all I have to do is to take the pics and post them up.

Here's a little update also. I've been working with the engine bay details and it is really slow progress but it's worth it overall. First the firewall and the radiator wall were glued on place and then I added two thicker wires on both inner fenders. I was thinking that there would be many smaller wires going inside them just like it's done on many real cars. I also connected alternator and water pump wiring. Windshield washer's container was found from my parts box. After some minor modifying it looked alright so I painted some water inside it using Tamiya Clear Blue.

Tomorrow's plan is to start polishing the body and if I have time I will work on the carburetor linkage as well.

1b57fdf3-d411-4f6b-85f3-557e203bad0b.jpg

dd67eee0-71d2-43fd-b19d-867b553b810c.jpg