Model Cars Magazine Forum

Years of Peterbilt kits?

I know I've seen something covering this but I can't find it now. I was wondering what the approximate years the 359 Kits cover (the 1-1 trucks not when the kit came out). I am primarily interested in the AMT 359 and the Revell 359 snap kit but if someone wants to get into all the kits I'd certainly welcome that.

I'm guessing the AMT kit is a 1985 or older since it has the round headlights and the Revell kit is an 86 or newer?

Thanks

There were a number of issues of the AMT 359 kit with different parts, so they each had varying years. The first issue (T500-500) was introduced in 1969, so it's most likely a '67-'69. Here is an example:

amt-t500hauler-inc1.JPG

The second issue (T500) was introduced the following year and was practically the same kit, but with a sleeper & different decals. This one is probably a '67-70. Here's an example:

Dsc06583.jpg

The 3rd issue was introduced sometime in the mid '70s & had a Cummins NTC-350 turbodiesel (older issues had an 8V71 Detroit Diesel), CB radio, larger bumper, roof-mounted air deflector, & larger-windowed 1100 Series cab (older issues had a Unilite cab). This one's a '72-80, as 1980's Peterbilt 359s had square headlights & a different style of Alcoa aluminum rims. The newer AMT-Ertl reissues are the same kit. Here's an example:

68f6_1.JPG

As for the Revell kit, the Revell kit is probably a '78-'87 because of the square headlights & more modern Alcoa aluminum rims.

That's all I know. Maybe Tim can help you out.

Lets pinpoint things a little more.. in Tim style... :D

AMT T500 - '68-69 as it has the fender DOT corner lights/reflectors and the 2 bar grille (gone by '69).

(add a 3 bar grille and you're looking at a '69-72)

AMT T501 (and the reissues along with T533 and wrecker reissues) - 1975-1978. The style of cab (1100 series) came out in November of '72 but had a smaller rear window. For '75 the back window was made 36" wide. The AMT kit has this window size.

The kit has the original flat dash which was replaced for '78 with the Dash of Class.

The sleeper has square doors, this means it is no newer than a '78 bunk as the '79+ had a newer rounded bulkhead style door.

The Revell of Germany (formerly Revell of Los Angeles) 359 could be a 1978-87 going by the rectangular headlamps (first displayed in October of '87 on the 1st 359 with a 63" sleeper). The Revell kit has the Dash of Class which puts it at no older than '78. The copyright on the kit is 1981. Rectangular headlamps didn't become a regular option until 1979. They were always an upgrade option.

The Revell/Monogram 359 snap kit has the rounded door 36" sleeper and Dash of Class. This means it is no older than a '79.

The Alcoa wheels in question.. Frontrunners (like the Revell of Germany and Monogram kit have) first came out in 1970, the split rim style seen on the AMT kits were available well into the late 70s.

Tim

The split-rims were the older Alcoa and other make rims.

This 359 has Frontrunner style wheels (not sure if they are Alcoa's or not)

7923513-R1-014-5A.jpg

This Transtar CO4070 has the older split-rim style aluminum wheels.

7923523-R1-018-7A.jpg

These look like what AMT put in all their kits.

The 5-holes (like the ones in the AMT Autocar A64B kit) are Alcoa Aluminum.

Tim

Great! Now I know more about the Peterbilt 359! Thanks, Tim!

As for the Alcoa rims, I thought the Front-runners were the split type rims. I also thought the non-split rims weren't available until the mid-70's. Also, who manufactured the 5-hole aluminum rims?

Thank you, that helps a lot.

I didn't realize that headlights were an option (round or square) just thought they would change in one year like on cars.

In the first photo is that an early truck or were single / twin lights an option?

Edited by Aaronw