Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Peterbilt 352 engine

The AMT Peterbilt 352 soon to return (Thanks Round 2) has the Detroit 8v71 Does anyone know what other engines were offered in that year 352? I've tried looking for option sheets but they seem to be scarce. I can guess some but would like to be more accurate.

hello leo not sure of the exact year of the amt 352 its late 60's early 70's so i'am going to say detroit or cummins.not sure if pete started using the yellow engines back then. tim is the peterbuilt expert. i am sure he can help you better.

The kit represents the 1970 Peterbilt 352 in its earliest of forms. Minor changes were made to the cab over the life of the Pacemaker cab.

Engines available:

Standard in 1970 - Cummins NHC-250 In 1973 the NTC-350 was standard.

By 1975 the price book shows the following available in 352 (not 352H):

Cat 3406 and 1693

Cummins NTC 290, NTC350, VT903, NTA 400

Detroit 8v71N, 8v71T, 6v92T, 8v92N, 8v92T, 12v71N

The Detroit 6v92 and 8v71 were the only engines available in the 54" BBC short daycab. The12V71 was not available in the 63" daycab.

A couple of interesting things to note, a 63" daycab must have dual exhaust if 8v71 or VT903, but a 8v71 in an 86" cab can have single. An in-line 6 (Cummins of Cat) must have single exhaust on 63." After 1976 8v71 was required to have dual exhaust to meet noise regulations. 8v92 could be installed in a 63" daycab, but not one with the exhaust recessed into the cab (not enough room for the piping).

I'm always learning something new - just by reading !

Tim