Model Cars Magazine Forum

Compressor or CO2 tanks

Anne ,

A compressor is the best way to go . I prefer one with a tank . You'll also need a regulator and an inline moisture trap . The pancake or nailer compressors available at Lowes , Sears , Home Depot , Harbor Freight , etc would fit the bill perfectly and come with a regulator . All you need then would be the inline moisture trap !

Donn Yost

Anne ,

A compressor is the best way to go . I prefer one with a tank . You'll also need a regulator and an inline moisture trap . The pancake or nailer compressors available at Lowes , Sears , Home Depot , Harbor Freight , etc would fit the bill perfectly and come with a regulator . All you need then would be the inline moisture trap !

Donn Yost

yea u cant beat the price..if you can stand the noise..very loud..

I agree with all the above but considerations for which one?

1. Where do you live?

CO2: How far do you have to drive to get a CO2 bottle refilled?

Compressor: Do you share your residence with others that the noise may bother? Are you close to neighbors that noise may be a problem for?

2. Are you just going to use it for the air brush or would you like to do other things with it?

CO2: Very quiet but about the only other thing you can do with is run a beverage dispenser.

Compressor: If you get a regular garage style compressor you can use it for a lot of other things like inflating tires and runing air tools like nail guns, impact wrenches etc. If you are going to just use it for the airbrush, you can get ones that are vertually silent.

3. Portablity

CO2: Generally, light weight and can be moved from room to room. Not really any restrictions on where you use it. Also you don't have to look for an outlet to plug it into.

Compressor: Can be heavy unless you buy one just for airbrushing. Have to have an electrical outlet to use it. Noise may limit where you use it.

3. Cost.

CO2: It can cost less but you have to fill them from time to time and I guarentee that it will run out right in the middle of a paint job. ;) Also, how much does it cost to refill it.

Compressor: Not cheap to buy but that should be the only cost for a long time. Mine is 15 years old and still chugging along with no problems.

Get what suits your use and needs best

yea u cant beat the price..if you can stand the noise..very loud..

"Silent" air compressors exist, and most are designed for hobby use.

Buy a dedicated compressor as Donn suggests. Hobby Lobby carries one of Iwata/Medea's compressors, so with 40% off the hit to your wallet isn't quite as bad if you like that particular model. A compressor, when used with a pressure regulator (or two). will deliver consistent air pressure, and it refills itself almost instantly. You can probably pick a compressor on craigslist locally, and have a few to chose from. Ditto for pawn shops.

"Silent" air compressors exist, and most are designed for hobby use.

Buy a dedicated compressor as Donn suggests. Hobby Lobby carries one of Iwata/Medea's compressors, so with 40% off the hit to your wallet isn't quite as bad if you like that particular model. A compressor, when used with a pressure regulator (or two). will deliver consistent air pressure, and it refills itself almost instantly. You can probably pick a compressor on craigslist locally, and have a few to chose from. Ditto for pawn shops.

i am aware of slient air compressors..i got one of the best..had it for 35 years.it came off a swer system..works like a top..all i had to do was add regulator and water trap...purrs like a kitten..lol..

you will need to buy more than just a compressor.

research carefully and make a list if the items you will need to make sure you can supply clean dry air to your airbrush.

I have a friend that is a professional car painter/airbrush artist, I have seen him use both tank and compressor, but he uses the co2 tank mostly for mobile work.

I'm not an expert but I know one, his work has been on magazine covers multiple times, an airplane he painted (and painted a mural on was displayed in the San Diego Museum of Modern Art a few years ago).

I use CO2 and have for about 15 years, and haven't had a compressor since I lived at home and we had a big huge shop compressor in the basement (that my dad plumbed a line up to my workbench and intalled a big paint booth filter/trap/regulator).

I love CO2 :wub: , I wouldn't use anything else in my situation (live in an apartment and live close to my refill source). It's clean, silent, and dry and doesn't require electricity, so I can take it anywhere I feel like lugging it. I use a 20lb cylinder, I get about 12-18 months out of a fill. I have a two-gauge regulator on it so I know the pressure inside the cylinder, when it starts to fluctuate I know it's getting close to refill time, but I still have plenty of time (probably a month or more) to go get it refilled. Never had it run out in the middle of a job, and I've never had it freeze up on me. CO2 is nothing like Propel cans...

I figure with what I paid for the rig and 15 years of refills and hydrotest fees, I'm probably still ahead of what I would have spent on a silent compressor, regulator, and moisture trap, and who knows if that would still be running after 15 years?

buying CO2 may not be around for ever beens the US government has declared CO2 as a pollutant.

Bottled CO2 will be around forever. It's made by capturing CO2 that would otherwise be released as pollution from various industrial processes. There's already enough bottled CO2 to last the entire human race several generations.

Anne ,

Donn Yost

Or you could do what Donn has on his DVD, 2 moisture traps & 1 oil trap, I copied Donn's set up & am now getting my best paint job's ever. In fact I suggest you aquire Don's excellent DVD's & follow his advice. Way to go Donn.

well here is the compressor i had , totaly foprgot i even had it , now is this one good enough for an airbrush ?? if not no big deal 001_zps27c6272d.jpg

Yep ! That'll do the trick ! You have a regulator , now all you need is the inline moisture trap . Well , an airbush would help the situation too ! Lol !

ok cool that this will work ,,, i took the cover off and cleaned and waxed it , now it looks new again ,, yeah tomorrow i am ordering the airbrush , the Talon one that everyone says is good , and i'll have to go and get the moisture trap too , get that tomorrow as well , Thanks !!!