Model Cars Magazine Forum

Buckboard... the Model T of horse-drawn vehicles

Thanks, Curt.

I love working with wood. It's a great change of pace from plastic. There's just something about carving and shaping and fitting a wooden part... it's a whole different model building "high" for me. I think you'd like it.

I hear you Harry. I've been building R/C planes from balsa and plywood for 40 years. I build mostly from scratch or modify kits, and there is something nice about the feel of cutting, shaping, and sanding wood. I like to use wood on car/truck models for floorboards, pickup beds, etc. and a couple teardrop trailer models I built.

Sam

I hear you Harry. I've been building R/C planes from balsa and plywood for 40 years. I build mostly from scratch or modify kits, and there is something nice about the feel of cutting, shaping, and sanding wood. I like to use wood on car/truck models for floorboards, pickup beds, etc. and a couple teardrop trailer models I built.

Sam

Maybe it's because wood is a natural material while plastic is just a mix of chemicals. I don't know. I can't explain it, but there's just something special about working with wood. At least for us! :D

Love this Harry! Not many people who scratch build appreciate the satisfaction of building from wood. Great job with the wheels too! Hardest part when building from scratch I always find. I found cocktail sticks came in rather useful for spokes! ;) Fantastic model!!

• 2 months later...

Harry, I really like your model Buckboard....Looks very convincing. Some of the techniques used were most interesting also.

I expect that you already know about the late John Thompson's books from the UK about horse drawn vehicle models, as you are into that sort of thing. There is a society named the 'Guild of Model Wheelwrights' here in the UK. They have a website that you may find interesting to have a look at if you do not know of them already.

I am looking to scratch build a Hispano Suiza car model with shaped wood planking on the bodywork, and have noted your techniques for staining.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just came across this posting and if your easily impressed, then DO NOT click onto this link below, as they are all totally SCRATCHBUILT, not simply made from an over the counter store bought kit.

There are 6 pages of different scratch built models for you lot to drool over, oh, by the way, each of these models has to have all the individual spokes actually hand shaped, not just simple square spokes allready shaped for you to just glue together.

This will open your eyes to what is actually out there in the wild, not hiding behind a shop counter.

http://forum.scalemodelhorsedrawnvehicle.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9&order=desc