Model Cars Magazine Forum

57 Altered Wheelbase Gasser

Ramcharger

Thanks, Bill! That's a big help!

If anyone ever should wonder why you need to be active on a model car message board, this is the reason why. Look how many guys from all over are willing to help improve a build, for no other reason than to make it way cooler. I'm am so diggin' the sense of community around here. I'm in the midst of adding more detail to those springs and working on building the front axle and spindles. I'll probably have some photos tomorrow or Saturday. Stay tuned!

More updates! I went to the local IPMS show on Saturday, so I didn't get anything done, but I got a second and a third. My parts box POS Gremlin gasser almost beat a $400 Model factory Hiro Porsche (I talked to one of the judges). It doesn't look like much but I mocked up the front suspension and I'm working on the steering set up. I cut the spring shackles out of aluminum, scratch built the rear brackets, and centered it all up. It took a few tries! The axle is aluminum tube with plastic ends and I'll use aluminum for the steering brackets. After I get this mocked up, I'll start on some painting.

002_zpsb7bca4c9.jpg

001_zpsba3ec5a9.jpg

003_zps9d0cea5f.jpg

Thats genius! never thought of using a pop can for all the brackets and leaf springs... I've always wanted to do a scratch built front straight axle ever since I first seen one on here...

I'm a little too cowardly to try to make an altered wheelbase car though...

Jesse, just cut one up, it's real easy! When I do my '62 T-bird AWB car I'll take some photos before I do all the body work and you'll see it's not that bad. The piece you cut out to move the wheel wells forward generally fits in the space behind the new wheel well location so the body work is pretty minimal. The chassis you just chop a piece out the same size you moved the wheel wells forward, slop some superglue on it and you're done. As a matter of fact, the sloppier you are, the more realistic the build. Remember, most of the AWB cars after early 65 were done in some guys garage with a blue wrench (cuttin' torch). I made some front shocks out of brass and then worked on the rear suspension. I made the traction bars like the ones Ford used on the Thunderbolts, so they were pretty easy to fab up after I made a cross member and some axle brackets for them. I found some 9" pie crust slicks in the parts box and some chrome steelies for the rear.

001_zps1b188f49.jpg

002_zpsc6d8c144.jpg

003_zpsb5ce78e5.jpg

I finally got the car up on wheels! I think the front end is too high but I can't rebuild it now, it's too close to the contest for that. I measured the crank center line when I mocked up the motor and it sits at a scale 24", which should have been be legal in gas class back in the day, but seeing to drive the beast would be another thing! I'm painting the interior and I have a few more things to do like the roll bar and the rear seat area, then I can paint the chassis pan. I've started some detailing on the motor, I plumbed the fuel lines for the injectors and made a magneto out of aluminum tube. I also did some work to make seat brackets and did up the seats, I have to dullcoat the seats yet. I'll probably get the motor and drive train in her this weekend and then on to the body!

001_zpsfb6086dd.jpg

002_zps0824d4bf.jpg

003_zps67738138.jpg

004_zps84937ad4.jpg

005_zps07078139.jpg

I finally got the car up on wheels! I think the front end is too high but I can't rebuild it now, it's too close to the contest for that. I measured the crank center line when I mocked up the motor and it sits at a scale 24", which should have been be legal in gas class back in the day, but seeing to drive the beast would be another thing! I'm painting the interior and I have a few more things to do like the roll bar and the rear seat area, then I can paint the chassis pan. I've started some detailing on the motor, I plumbed the fuel lines for the injectors and made a magneto out of aluminum tube. I also did some work to make seat brackets and did up the seats, I have to dullcoat the seats yet. I'll probably get the motor and drive train in her this weekend and then on to the body!

001_zpsfb6086dd.jpg

002_zps0824d4bf.jpg

003_zps67738138.jpg

004_zps84937ad4.jpg

005_zps07078139.jpg

Isn't possible to just flip the axle from the bottom of the springs to the top of them? That looks doable.

You can always do the opposite and rise the rear a little.

I think I have to flip the front axle and put it inside the springs, it's a little too cartoon-y for me. I'll do that tomorrow, it shouldn't be too hard. Since this is my first try at scratch building a spring setup, I think I missed the arc by a bit, I'll get it right on the next one. The funny thing is, I was worried it wouldn't sit high enough in the front. I also already raised the rear about a 1/4 inch, I'm actually pretty happy with how the rear is sitting, I want a little of that "cowboy" rake that was popular in the early 60's.

Well, I dropped the nose and it looks much better, I kinda want to drop the rear a little now! I think I'll quit messing with it, I have to clean up the mess I made of the front axle and spring set up when I took it apart. Apparently, I built it Ford tough, It really didn't want to come apart! Walter, that looks pretty cool, I love the wheelie stance.

001_zps59a3bc5d.jpg

002_zpsec71b6df.jpg

003_zps552c5023.jpg

Well, I dropped the nose and it looks much better, I kinda want to drop the rear a little now! I think I'll quit messing with it, I have to clean up the mess I made of the front axle and spring set up when I took it apart. Apparently, I built it Ford tough, It really didn't want to come apart!

NO!!! Don't drop the rear, it looks PERFECT now!!!!!! And please, keep on posting!!!!