Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mannix 1972 Cuda Convertible

Bob Ellis

Chrysler stopped selling convertibles in the end of the 1971 model year. At the time, Mannix was a very popular show and it featured a Cuda convertible. Chrysler still wanting to maintain a presence in the show, decided to update a 1971 Cuda with 1972 sheet metal. This car still exists. I used a ERTL MPC 1974 Cuda promo, and a ERTL AMT 70 Dodge Challenger. I could have used a Revell Don Johnson Cuda if it was 1/25. But I used it as a guide.

When you make up your own models out of 2 or 3 kits, you find things don't fit. I spend a lot of time trying to get things to blend. The MPC Cuda kit and the AMT Challenger kit are fighting each other. But, I am winning as you can see here.

Edited by Bob Ellis

I had a left over parts kit '70 Challenger, and a built up junk '70 Challenger. I have a feeling that even if I used the new Revell, fit issues woul hve ocurred since I needed to use the MPC '74 body.

A Revell would be a great place to start '70 Cuda convertible. Not sure if Mannix had a '70 (think he had a '71). He had a '68 Dart convertible customized by Barris.

Edited by Bob Ellis

I put the AMT Challenger chassis under an old '72 MPC 'cuda annual- ended up shortening the wheelbase by taking a small section out of the rear seat floor pan area. Also had to shorten the gas tank and modified the back of the grille opening and cowl to finally get a decent fit

019.jpg

002-5.jpg

003-9.jpg

Chris, I cut part of the chassis too. I failed to mention that, so it's good you did. The AMT chassis is not a drop in with a MPC body.

I cut the chassis a little different, but the end result similar. The MPC 72 grille is a little tight in front where the chassis / radiator meets.

Even if you build a hardtop, the model looks way better with a chassis up grade. I am curious what the Revell result would be. I used the AMT because they were incomplete kits and cost less. Maybe the result not as good as Revell, just don't know yet.

So does that mean that the Mannix Cuda is the only '72 convert?

Looks great Bob! It's good to have a convertible sometimes...

All of those T.V. programme "1972" Challenger and Barracuda convertibles were converted (or , cosmetically updated) 1971 models .

Other 'phantom' 1972 convertible Chrysler 'E'-bodies which were featured in T.V. programmes :

- Brady Bunch ( 340 / column-shift Torqueflite , GB5 Blue / B5 Blue interior )

- Mod Squad (340 / column-shift Torqueflite , medium gold metallic , black interior , black top , black stripes ** )

** = the R/T model convertible was dropped by Chrysler for 1971 . The as-specified models received stripes which emulated the R/T stripes , but were a little longer in order to compensate for the lack of "R/T" callouts .

Dyno, I can only say that the 1972 Plymouth Cuda convertible is the only one I know Chrysler had, besides the '72/'73 Challenger convertible they made for the Mod Squad TV show.

According to the story, Chrysler made this '72 Cuda made in April 1971.

http://qualityautobodyshop.com/1/gallery-view/1972-cuda-convertible-mannix-show/

On a snap 'cuda project I was working on a while ago I made headlight buckets out of an AMT Duster grille

173333_1.jpg

For that project I managed to get a resin cowl and inner fender assembly separately and just cut back the snap chassis and fitted another front subframe assembly

ry4801.jpg

Edited by ChrisPflug

Chris, time for sad stories......

AMT and MPC were having a contest to see who could destroy more stock tools than the other. Case in point; Modified or Super Stockers.

MPC Fundimensions and ERTL restored the Cuda to sort of it's former glory. The fender openings have a little waviness, but I will just say that's when Mannix had the accident.

post-11981-0-54779400-1407377664.jpg

Edited by Bob Ellis

I am taking the advice and removing about 1/8 " off the length of the frame; the AMT Challenger is a little long.

I got the cowl to fit better. Cud promo glass drops in perfectly now over the Challenger cowl.

Edited by Bob Ellis