Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Buick GSX. Rusty Crusty

St Louis Snacker

Yowsers!

Thats some pretty slick junk!

Great detail on the front license plate bracket, headlamp sockets and steering column clock spring.

How did you do that inner passenger side door? Is that the window regulator in there?

Post some pixs of the interior.

That front passenger marker lamp wire looks out of place.

Cheers!

Van

Thanks for the response. To answer some questions.

I built this to resemble a car sitting out in the elements for 40 years. I pass a junk yard in Iowa that has hundreds of old cars rusting away. That is where I got my insperation.

1) I cut out the kit floor and replaced it with a floor from a AMT Stock Car kit. I wanted it to resemble a floor without carpet texture.

2) I cut out the door pannel, sanded it down and added another sheet of plastic over it. The door regulator is faux just for looks. The rear seat was ground away till super thin. The stuffing was from the scrap box and lightly painted with Tamaya Lt. Sand in the final version.

4) I dont like the marker lamp wire either. It's going to go.

post-14244-0-41158100-1408367355_thumb.jpost-14244-0-24874600-1408367424_thumb.jpost-14244-0-61571900-1408367487_thumb.j

Sorry Snacker,

Also the seats would have a light brownish

colored foam rubber inside. not a cotton and

wool stuffing. That you would have found in a

30's, 40's, 50's and some 60's cars.

But the way you did that is truly first rate in

in the way it looks! I mean it, it's awesome!!

David S.

Very nice weathering, but a detail catches my eye and bugs me. You have the rear windshield glass removed, but the chrome in place; it would have been removed to allow removal of the glass, and not likely snapped back into place!

Thanks everyone. As many of us do, I wasnt going for 100% accuracy. I really was trying to do something completly different than I normally do.

bisc63, it has the rear window in it. I actually tried to replicate delaminating of the window around the edges with a mix of Stiffy Fabric stiffner mixed with a little brown paint.

mad31lover, I searched all over for some foam that would have worked. I tried to find a make up sponge but the ladies dont use those anymore. Thats why I went with the painted stuffing.

Snackey,

You posted this car with the opening comment

that you wanted "constructive criticism" about

your build and weathering job.

I also mentioned that your work looked first rate!

Looking at one Walgreens store and then deciding

that what you were looking for was not available is

never gonna make a great build.

If you enjoy being inaccurate in your builds, well

then keep up the good work!!

David S.

bisc63, it has the rear window in it. I actually tried to replicate delaminating of the window around the edges with a mix of Stiffy Fabric stiffner mixed with a little brown paint.

I see it now! OK, maybe dirty it up a bit - it's unusually clean! :D

• 3 weeks later...