Model Cars Magazine Forum

A pleasant suprise part I didnt know I had

I spent the day yesterday cleaning up and organzing the model bench and storage area downstairs.

When I came across a hood I couldnt indentify. After some digging around I thought it was an early 60s car,,maybe a Johan piece.

So I started diggin in the stash ,,,, and dug out a 1960 Desoto I picked up years ago as a partial bultup ,,,thought it looks pretty close.

Sure enough the hood fits ,,,. I have no idea when or where I got the hood . But ,,, Now I have a complete one to build later on

Anyone else stumble on a part or kit you didnt know you had ?

Hey Tom, remember that 64 El Camino i bought at the toy show when we stayed with you last year? I had lusted after the kit for years but I was also keen to get my hands on the little boat that sits in the back. I had always had the hull and deck of one but nothing else so I was very pleased to find this kit completely intact, even though $150 made it the most expensive 1/25 scale kit I had ever bought!

When I got back to Australia and opened the kit I saw that it had a little engine cover that looks kinda like a sixties hood scoop. What I didn't know is that for probably twenty years or so I had they same engine cover in my hood scoop box, always wondering what it was off. That now makes my second boat body complete!

Unfortunately there was a sting in the tail. When I laid all the parts out, some-one had neatly removed every single chrome piece for the boat off the chrome tree - that means the entire engine, rudder, prop, steering wheel, everything. The small size and location of the boat parts made it easy to overlook when inspecting. Don't know if the vendor was a crook or if it was an honest mistake (I'd like to think that).

Ended up cutting a Corvair flat 6 in half to make a "rare" 3 cylinder boat engine and scratchbuilt all the missing parts. Should make it easier to do it a second time to build up the second shell! Practice makes perfect!

Cheers

Alan

I'm always finding things I had lost, the most important was my wedding ring!

A few years ago, my sister sent me a box of stuff I had given to her son when I was about 18 and he was maybe 6. That was more than 30 years ago. Inside the box was about a dozen models I had built, most of them busted up glue bombs. It was cool to see them after all those years.

I picked up one of those '66 Chevelle wagon kits (currently WIP), but my "vision" for it was to go more stockish / driverish than the kit version. I was thinking to myself how great it would look on some GM Rallye wheels. Well as I was browsing my very limited parts inventory, lo and behold, I found 5 (?) Rallye wheels and some decent tires to match. No idea where they came from, other than a Corvette I built maybe 15 years ago.