Model Cars Magazine Forum

Have you seen these?

My sister got me the pirate ship for Christmas. I was going along well with the build but have been stuck on the hull. It's 2 sides and needs to be bent in quite a few different angles and I'm not sure what all those angles are. Don't want to bend metal too many times, especially this delicate.

It is fun as something different and it should only be done by people who are already familiar with model building. I can't imagine some poor person that has never built anything before trying to tackle these little kits.

I got the Mustang for Christmas from my brother. A little more to them than meets the eye. The tire treads have to be shaped into a perfect circle so that the tabs and slots all match up. The underside of the car has to have the wheel wells shaped into the semi-circle again in a manner that the tabs and slots match up. I've spent most of my time looking around the house for items that are the same diameters so that I can accurately shape the metal. Turns out hobby knife handles were pretty much bang on.

the Panzer IV looks a heck of a lot more convincing than the Tiger, with the tracks pointing off in every direction except correct....

they keep these at the checkout counter so Gramma or Aunt Peg can grab one for Jimmy when it's near his birthday.

Gramma and Aunt Peg as such sadists.....

Well, I've been looking at this thing and thinking "Go ahead. You've got nothing to do for the next week." Then my sensibleness kicks in and says " What are you talking about? You've been too lazy to wire the distributor on the 66 El Camino for the last month." Can't argue with that.

Later-

Gramma and Aunt Peg probably put more kids off model building permanently by buying Palmer kits and this stuff because they don't know the kid's real area of interest or level of ability. i cringe going to the hobby shop near the holidays, overhearing kindly-intentioned but completely clueless people trying to buy gift models. at one time, if i'd been given one of these, i'd give it a fair try at assembling simply out of respect for the gift-giver... today, it'd be an instant re-gift.

i cringe going to the hobby shop near the holidays, overhearing kindly-intentioned but completely clueless people trying to buy gift models.

I've told everyone I know to buy me model related gifts. When they did, I'd get things I would never buy myself, like a Monogram 1/12 scale '57 Chevy... "Betcha can't put together a big un!" The general public thinks of model building like we are putting puzzles together.

I have a bunch of these. I think they're great I've been doing a bunch of remodeling and sometimes hobby things get moved around and can't get to it. So I break one these out to build something that dose not involve all the materials needed for regular kit. Plus it helps with getting familiar working with photo etched parts. You get a feel for bending and curving metal parts.