Model Cars Magazine Forum

How much are you willing to pay ?

You guys are getting killed on the exchange rate lately. In my job, every so often I deposit Canadian cash at the bank. I hadn't done that in a few months; when I looked up the exchange rate a couple of weeks ago, I was shocked. Locally, we get a fair amount of Canadian shoppers at the malls...not as many lately though...

Looking at about $42-50 AUS dollars down this way, and no such thing as a discount coupon, sometimes they come on special, so you grab 3-4 kits,

it is what i am used to though, as i don't buy on e'bay etc, as they try stitch you up on postage now.

Edited by DeeCee

At the rate I build which can be up to two years on a theme build its not much of an issue when you look at the hours per dollar, however that dang collecting bug hits every once and a while and its off to the stores to buy buy buy thats when its an issue however.

Here in Norway a new AMT/MPC or Revell/Monogram 1:25 car modelkit is about 40$US. I don't think that is too expensive. Japanese made kits are a lot more expensive and that is strange becuase I can buy them from such places and HLJ and Hobby Search for a lot less. Take this example: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10012867 The Gunze 56 Oval bug, at Hobby Search for 1080yen or just over 9$US and if I order it from them I will have it delivered to my mailbox for less than 20$US.

I have seen this at stores here for a price of about 50$US.

I was pretty upset when the average price of kits hit $5, but I still bought what I wanted. I have no problem paying the asking price for a model I want when I see it. I'm not sure there is a limit to what I will pay for a run of the mill 1/25 auto kit. There hasn't been so far.

The problem is not the price, it's the subjects. There's no need for me to buy most of the same old reissues at $25+ after paying $2-$5 for them in the past. Unless a kit is a personal favorite car or relatively modern model year, I have zero interest in it and will not buy it.

Edited by SSNJim

You guys are getting killed on the exchange rate lately. In my job, every so often I deposit Canadian cash at the bank. I hadn't done that in a few months; when I looked up the exchange rate a couple of weeks ago, I was shocked. Locally, we get a fair amount of Canadian shoppers at the malls...not as many lately though...

I 'm starting a rebellion here in Canada.... I'm doing away with the current monetary policy and replacing it with the good old barter system....... if any of you are interested, I have 3 chickens, a nice hand knit blanket & a quart of maple syrup I'm willing to trade for the new Man From Uncle kit.... :)

Edited by Krazy Rick

I have to want a new kit pretty darn bad to pay today's full metal retail for it. I try to buy stuff with 40-50% off coupons, or from online discounters.

Or I just go down into the Snakepit and find a cool old kit or glue bomb to work on.

Whats in the snake pit buddy...??? :) . Me I can only get what I can afford or trade for.... :mellow:

If the toy funds has cash,, I buy what I want. Price is secondary.

I may shop around and buy where its cheapest ,,but if I can I will support my local hobby shop,,even if he's a buck or 2 higher.

But to be honest there isnt a a whole lot the past few years screaming at me to buy it .

I was just re-organizing this past weekend and realized most of my stash still have price tags on them and there are lots that was $4.95 to $6.95 ea . So its not like I dont have anything to build

I've been buying more old long discontinued kits lately than anything else . I think the only recent releases I've bought the past year is the 70 Cuda. Otherwise its been old annuals ,,mostly late 50's and early 60's builtups .

Kit prices around here are roughly 30,-, or about $35,- for the Revell kits, and about 45,- for the curbside Aoshima and Fujimi kits... You do the math...

I try to order as much as possible online now, mostly from Germany or Japan. And when I do I make sure to order multiple kits in one go.

When you take inflation in general in to account, I don't think what we're paying is all that bad. Back in the 60's when car models were about $2.00 a kit, comic books were 12 cents. It's been awhile since I bought a new comic book, but the last time I did, they were $3.00 or more per issue. When comic books were going for 12 cents, a pack of gum was only 5 cents, candy bars 10 cents, and can of pop 15. Go to a bar and see what a night of drinking will cost you now days. Thankfully I don't drink. It's all a matter of perspective. Despite the price of kits today, I'm able to and am buying a lot more of them than I did when I was a kid, saving my lawn mowing money.

Scott