Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Latest Wip - Sectioned Custom 49 Ford

FloridaBoy

Here is my latest work. It is a 49 Ford Coupe that I started just last Thursday at Jefbo's house. It is sectioned from the article in the 1962 Rod & Custom 3 part article by Don Emmons. I used both rolled pans from the kit, and cut the grille in half below the middle bar, and cut out a semi circle in the pan to accommodate the bullet in the center. I am trying to make this a period fifties type car with a section and otherwise mild custom work. I am also using the stock kit chassis and the Caddy motor, with a pair of 4bbl carbs instead of the regular kit six pak.

KW49Ford001-vi.jpg

KW49Ford006-vi.jpg

KW49Ford004-vi.jpg

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman

Looks sweet. Is a top chop in the plans? With a chopped top, it would be killer.

Robert,

I am going to leave this as a mild custom with a stock height roof. I have a '50 convertible that is both sectioned and chopped, and that will soon be done. The unusual thing about the 50 convert is that both doors open and close. I really had to reinforce the lower panel with epoxy and brass rod to keep it firm enough to maintain its design integrity and make the doors fit right.

The next 49 Coupe will be sectioned a little more, and the top chopped, with the middle window b pillar canted toward the back. I am also planning to use the Styline front extension on that one, too.

I don't think the modeling world appreciates the incredible detail of the Ford flathead in the 50 Convertible. It is one of the better ones for sure.

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman