Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dodge Charger Redux

Jim N

I posted this kit a few months ago and it received a tepid response and several members made suggestions for improvements. The suggestions fell into two categories. The first was with the wheels. I tried something different with them by painting them all black and some thought this was too much. The others were a bit scattered but I came away with the impression that there was too much green.

I am going through a bit of a lull in building now and pulled this one off of the shelf and give it a critical look to see if to see if I wanted to change it up a bit or leave it alone and chalk it up to differences in taste. I decided to change it up slowly, so that if I didnt like something or I went too far, I could go back.

I started with the wheels first and painted the spokes aluminum to give them some separation from the tire, so that it didnt look like one black blob in the wheel well.

When I finished this, I looked at the rest of the car. I didnt have decals to add as some suggested, so I tried painting the hood semi gloss black, like Chrysler did with some of their muscle cars back in the day.

I think the result is much better. Below are a couple of pictures from the first attempt and then below those are the revisions.

Thanks for looking and the comments on the first build.

Couple of pictures of first build.

DSC_0366-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSC_0369-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Revised build

DSC_0466-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSC_0467-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSC_0468-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSC_0470-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSC_0471-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Thanks for looking.

Jim, doing the spokes in aluminum really helped, along with the flat black hood, it looks much better!

Is the side trim still across the doors? If so, painting it satin black would help break up the green a bit more, but I wouldn't do any more than that.

Jim, doing the spokes in aluminum really helped, along with the flat black hood, it looks much better!

Is the side trim still across the doors? If so, painting it satin black would help break up the green a bit more, but I wouldn't do any more than that.

Dittoes!

B)