Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch Built HO Track

TooOld

I built this back around '84 or '85 in a spare room in the mobile home I lived in . Every body thought I was crazy and I guess I was , but it sure was fun and my 9 yr old son loved it ! It was pretty tight in a 14 x 12 room so the whole thing slid back and forth on kind of a rail system made from 2 x 4's . It's four lanes with four 20 volt transformers supplying the power .

And yes , there is a train too !

1_zpsd17e1a14.jpg

2_zpsf9a8d779.jpg

3_zps4181ef67.jpg

4_zpse993ae40.jpg

Pretty complex set-up, it looks like a long term project. I love the banking on the track. I started a similar set up back around the same time. My son, around 4 or 5 at the time, played King Kong and stepped on all my buildings destroying them. I soon gave up on the trains when all the kids wanted to do is race them and moved on to just HO racing. Really mine was nothing like yours, i just wish it was. :)

Question I've always had about building a track... What do you use for the slot and the rails? is it just a notch in the wood surface that you lay strips of metal (brass or?) in for contact rails and a notch between them for the pin or is there stuff made specifically for that?

Nice craftsmanship. Is that a car track inside of a car track? Two separate courses?

That's pretty cool. Daytona with the option of running the oval or the road course. Neat idea.

Yep , two separate course . The outer two lanes ran the oval and the two inside lanes ran thru the infield and turns three and four .

This was back before the G-Force cars and such , I raced plain old AFX cars and it was a blast on the banking ! They were plenty fast with 20 volts on each car and they spun easily if you weren't careful .

I've got some pics of my cars , I'll dig them out and post some .

• 1 month later...

Very impressive setup.

I always say enginering the job is half the fiun.

I remember the first HO slot car tracks I saw around 1959 were in Hobby Shops where you could place your hand on the store window and the cars would run around the track.

Looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CadillacPat

• 5 weeks later...

I like that layout (even the railroad :) ) and I can appreciate the time it must have taken to construct it. Too bad you had to give it up :( .

I had an all-plastic Aurora setup in our basement when I was in my teens. I started out in HO cars with the original, "vibrator" "Model Motoring" cars that were AC powered. When I got my first DC powered Thunderjets for Christmas, we almost burned them out trying to run them with the AC transformer. It wasn't too long before I had a couple of hop-up kits and a layout under my bed. That didn't last too long; I relocated the track to the basement on a table where I had a lot of room; soon after, I moved it to our unused ping pong table. Nice, long straight with a banked turn. By then I was into the A-FX cars and heavily modified Thunderjets. But I digress...

I do have all my original Aurora track and a lot of my old cars. I hope to have them up and running again one day as long as I can find the room.

I like that layout (even the railroad :) ) and I can appreciate the time it must have taken to construct it. Too bad you had to give it up :( .

I had an all-plastic Aurora setup in our basement when I was in my teens. I started out in HO cars with the original, "vibrator" "Model Motoring" cars that were AC powered. When I got my first DC powered Thunderjets for Christmas, we almost burned them out trying to run them with the AC transformer. It wasn't too long before I had a couple of hop-up kits and a layout under my bed. That didn't last too long; I relocated the track to the basement on a table where I had a lot of room; soon after, I moved it to our unused ping pong table. Nice, long straight with a banked turn. By then I was into the A-FX cars and heavily modified Thunderjets. But I digress...

I do have all my original Aurora track and a lot of my old cars. I hope to have them up and running again one day as long as I can find the room.

It sounds like we grew up in the same time zone and did the same things ! I got started with Thunderjets around '63 and never looked back ! I always had a track somewhere but really got serious when the AFX cars came out . I always had a track set up in a spare room or in the basement and it always seemed to get bigger every time I redid it .

If you ever dig your stuff out , take a few photos . It would be cool to see what you have .