Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:8 scratch deuce

Ognib

looks like you are having some fun with this Ray, thats great to see!! every thing looks good so far, if you are prepping parts for paint adhesion, it really isn't that necessary, I know it is built in to us body men B) , the only prepping you really need to do is to remove mold seams and ejector pin marks, as far as adhesion, it really isn't an issue

I'm enjoying it, Bill.

Ya, good, thorough paint prep is in my DNA.

Cork sheet.

At .040, a little thick for most of the gaskets on this motor, but perfect, I'm hoping, for the oil pan gasket.

But, maby not.

Wait till I get some color on things & see what looks best then.

I want good, easily visable definiion where these parts join deep down in the chassis, while maintaining a reasistic feel in the piece.

I remember cork gaskets out of my past.

Bought a couple types of tacky glue also today.

Read a thread in Q & A about mock up adhesives.

I want to build this motor well enough that It will stay together for handling & display, but want to be able to disasemble it for measurments without too much trouble, when I start cutting the engine parts for the scratch built.

engine12_zps23260987.jpg

Edited by Ognib

Motor looks better even now, without all that gawdy chrome smeared all over the top.

The magneto, even though it's cast to scale, is too visually large & overpowering for this motor.

Going with something smaller with a tower cap on it.

Rear fenders are going to have to be bobbed a bit behind the tire, which really fills out the opening nicely. B)

engine13_zpsbb30c8e1.jpg

Edited by Ognib

Solid core, silver bearing solder...holds it's shape well, yet bendable...has a nice metal look to it.

It"s 1/8" & that scales up to a 1:1 primary tube of only 1".

I've also got some aluminum tubing that's 3/16, 1:8 of a 1 1/2" tube.

On a 1:1 motor, I'd probably go with the 1 1/2 size, but here, to my eye, I think by the time I got it all fitted into place, it would be too overpowering.

Kinda like the magneto, when I mocked it up on the front of the engine a while back.

Going to get the frame painted & assembled through this coming weekend & get the steering box in place so make sure everything fits nicely.

exhaust3_zpsf47a9b50.jpg

exhaust4_zps6451e7ef.jpg

exhaust5_zpsc746ea20.jpg

exhaust6_zpsd9ed7077.jpg

Edited by Ognib

I buffed the aluminum parts on the top of the engine with the ultra fine foam pad, to get rid of the "shine".

Used a nylon bristle, detail brush to scrub down the fins on the face of the heads.

This looks better to me.

Also need to further refine the way the header tubes flow against the side of the block.

engine24_zpsc372e289.jpg

engine25_zps420dfa45.jpg

Edited by Ognib

A new friend I've made through the slammers club, saw my post on the magneto a couple of pages back & sent me these.

Thank you!

The alternator is a 3 piece item, making it easier to detail & short enough to mount on the top of the engine in front of the 3 carb setup.

engine26_zpsd7ecfdd7.jpg

engine27_zps8f9a9ce3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Since deciding to use the 4 spd, the stock crossmember will be replaced with a tube style.

Squared up the frame & stuck it to poster paper...laid out & verified a centerline.

Fitting the tube pieces to the frame while working off the centerline for a visually balanced result.

frame33_zpse55a24d5.jpg

frame34_zps956ee151.jpg

frame35_zps641130ad.jpg

Happy saturday to all.

A mock-up to see how it's all fitting.

If I go with the original triangulated radius rods, I'll design the front driveshaft hoop as a structural unit & attach them there.

May go 4 bar...don't know yet.

frame37_zps41467abc.jpg

frame38_zpsb3c61129.jpg

frame39_zps75f937ab.jpg